Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting accentmaxxing

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
so recently I've started making conscious effort to get rid of my Slavic accent and improve my English in general
I've found some in-depth resources about English phonetics and I've realised I'm knees-deep in shit, it's so over it's not even funny
I have some superficial knowledge of both Polish and English phonetics as well as IPA, but it turns out the phonetic transcriptions used in most books are terribly simplified
idk if it was indicated in the materials I've used in the past and I've deliberately skipped it (because it was in the footnotes or simply because I thought I could rely on the IPA symbols only) or the materials just were shit

for starters Polish /ʃ/ ("sz") and /ʒ/ ("ż") are lies - it's actually /ʂ/ and /ʐ/, completely different consonants, but Polish books about phonetics as well as IPA used in most dictionaries use the former symbols (probably because they're less similar to /s/ and /z/) and the former sounds are actually used in English (so if you're a Polishcel you probably say e. g. /ˈɪŋɡlɪʂ/ instead of /ˈɪŋɡlɪʃ/)

second of all, this table is a bloody trap
A

you have dental, alveolar and post-alveolar (not even mentioning denti-alveolar or post-alveolar retracted, palato-alveolar etc. not even included in the table) consonants with the same symbols (probably because you don't have both variants occurring in the same language) and it does matter
there is additional notation which can differentiate between these pronunciations, but it's used almost nowhere
Polish consonants are dental while English ones are alveolar (i. e. your tongue is placed slightly deeper in your mouth), so Polishcels probably don't even pronounce, among others, /t/ or /s/ properly because Polish /t/ and /s/ are actually /t̪/ and /s̪/
this shit occurs in many languages and you're probably not told about it, so check your native language on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_alveolar_fricative

there's also a lot of minor stuff like aspiration or sentence stress (learnable with shadowing), but it's not that terrible, because I've been always aware of that

long story short, I'm fucked and I'll probably always be dissatisfied with my accent (as well as English in general, but that's a whole different story)
Polishcels, read up (the recordings are not included, for that you probably have to actually buy the book, but they're not essential): https://rebus.us.edu.pl/bitstream/2...zuczek_Praktyczny_kurs_wymowy_angielskiej.pdf

Tfu on english, my baltic is best accent

Slavic languages using latinic alphabet is fucking ridiculous. Greeks specially made alphabet for our phonetic so you don't have to remember 40+ letters. Cyrillic is high IQ thing for tough languages.

Slavic accents sound pretty cool imo. I would embrace it if I were you.

Slavic accents are high T tbh, better than the queer sounding swedish accent

Jfl @ using a child as an example
Listen to this chad sounding like a fucking feminine kid

ngl sounds gaymaxxed
I thought all Swedes speak perfect English though

ngl sounds gaymaxxed
I thought all Swedes speak perfect English though
Grammatically speaking, yeah most people here are fluent but the accent is so fucking gay

i dont know but ppl on discord like my polish accent