Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope Any mathcels want to read a book on Real Analysis?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1780
  • Start date
Deleted member 1780

Deleted member 1780

FBIcel
-
I want read the first 3 or 4 chapters of Abbott's Understanding Analysis in preparation for taking a course Real Analysis. The course I'm going to take is based off of Baby Rudin, the premier and heavily rigorous text on the subject used by most institutions, so I want to read this text because it is slightly easier. The prerequisites are a good working knowledge of mathematical proof.

https://elliespathtostatistics.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/abbott-second-edition.pdf

guessing youre a math major?

Bro all I know is 2+2 don't come at me with this complex shit.

That brings back memories.
I remember all that like it was yesterday.
I took that course back in 1981.
I'm skimming through that whole book.
I miss school. I still remember my professors teaching us that stuff.
I can't believe that was 38 years ago.

Last edited:
I managed to pass all the Calculus subjects with great difficulty. I don't want to know about math anymore tbh.

guessing youre a math major?

Ya. I'm almost done now. I got a year left.

That brings back memories.
I remember all that like it was yesterday.
I took that course back in 1981.
I'm skimming through that whole book.
I miss school. I still remember my professors teaching us that stuff.
I can't believe that was 38 years ago.

What were you studying at that time?

My school has an introduction to Analysis concepts for all math majors, but you can take Real Analysis as a follow up if you choose.
I really enjoyed what I've seen from Analysis, so I'm pretty set on taking it. I was close to chickening out an taking the easier version at my school called "advanced calculus", but I decided not to be a bitch lol
I managed to pass all the Calculus subjects with great difficulty. I don't want to know about math anymore tbh.
It gets more interesting after those. I was bored to death by Calc1 - 4 because you never justified your arguments. Just a bunch of calculation. I like proof much more.

Last edited:
My friend took math analysis freshman year of Uni, not real analysis, all I remember is him going crazy.

Doing analysis in English is quite harder for me as English is not my mother language...
@2340922

what is the purpose of real analysis in daily life exactly? is it to examine statistics?

what is the purpose of real analysis in daily life exactly? is it to examine statistics?

It is a foundational course for Mathematics. All the results of Calculus are from Real Analysis. Real Analysis lays the foundation for even the most basic things taken for granted like the notion of the Real Numbers (the line with no gaps):

Any results that depend on the notation of infinites probably needs justification from results in Real Analysis.

BTW, I only made it to chapter 2.