Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Can you enjoy life without having any friends or sex life?

QuantumDummy

QuantumDummy

solum
★★★★
Kinda feels like what's the point atm.

oh yes,

you are just begging to live

It's very difficult to.

As gay as it sounds, you really need to dedicate yourself to something that outlives you.

It makes the nihilism sting less. Sure, it still doesn't matter, but it feels like it does.

A Good Friend said:
As gay as it sounds, you really need to dedicate yourself to something that outlives you.

It makes the nihilism sting less. Sure, it still doesn't matter, but it feels like it does.

What do you mean by that? Nothing outlives you.

Kointo said:
What do you mean by that? Nothing outlives you.

Art, I guess.

Kurt Cobain has been dead for years, but his shitty music is played until this day.

That's all I ever wanted. Not to be famous, just to have somebody else see what I saw. There's a connection there, hard to explain.

A Good Friend said:
Art, I guess.

Kurt Cobain has been dead for years, but his shitty music is played until this day.

That's all I ever wanted. Not to be famous, just to have somebody else see what I saw. There's a connection there, hard to explain.

It will be forgotten like everything else.

Kointo said:
It will be forgotten like everything else.

I know, but, it's a mechanism. A cope for distraction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Messiah

Isolation is the first method Zapffe noted, who defined it as "a fully arbitrary dismissal from consciousness of all disturbing and destructive thought and feeling" and cites "One should not think, it is just confusing" as an example.[1]
Anchoring, according to Zapffe, is the "fixation of points within, or construction of walls around, the liquid fray of consciousness". The anchoring mechanism provides individuals a value or an ideal that allows them to focus their attentions in a consistent manner. Zapffe compared this mechanism to Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen's concept of the life-lie from the play The Wild Duck, where the family has achieved a tolerable modus vivendi by ignoring the skeletons and by permitting each member to live in a dreamworld of his own. Zapffe also applied the anchoring principle to society, and stated "God, the Church, the State, morality, fate, the laws of life, the people, the future" are all examples of collective primary anchoring firmaments. He noted flaws in the principle's ability to properly address the human condition, and warned against the despair provoked resulting from discovering one's anchoring mechanism was false. Another shortcoming of anchoring is conflict between contradicting anchoring mechanisms, which Zapffe posits will bring one to destructive nihilism.[1]
Distraction is when "one limits attention to the critical bounds by constantly enthralling it with impressions."[1] Distraction focuses all of one's energy on a task or idea to prevent the mind from turning in on itself.
Sublimation is the refocusing of energy away from negative outlets, toward positive ones.

A Good Friend said:
"One should not think, it is just confusing"

It isn't confusing. It's revealing.

A Good Friend said:
   Anchoring, according to Zapffe, is the "fixation of points within, or construction of walls around, the liquid fray of consciousness". The anchoring mechanism provides individuals a value or an ideal that allows them to focus their attentions in a consistent manner. Zapffe compared this mechanism to Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen's concept of the life-lie from the play The Wild Duck, where the family has achieved a tolerable modus vivendi by ignoring the skeletons and by permitting each member to live in a dreamworld of his own. Zapffe also applied the anchoring principle to society, and stated "God, the Church, the State, morality, fate, the laws of life, the people, the future" are all examples of collective primary anchoring firmaments. He noted flaws in the principle's ability to properly address the human condition, and warned against the despair provoked resulting from discovering one's anchoring mechanism was false. Another shortcoming of anchoring is conflict between contradicting anchoring mechanisms, which Zapffe posits will bring one to destructive nihilism.[1]
   Distraction is when "one limits attention to the critical bounds by constantly enthralling it with impressions."[1] Distraction focuses all of one's energy on a task or idea to prevent the mind from turning in on itself.
  Sublimation is the refocusing of energy away from negative outlets, toward positive ones.

This is all just a cope to keep on living a purposeless life.

Kointo said:
This is just a cope to keep on living a purposeless life.

That's the point. Zappfes four methods are distractions. It's something to do while waiting for death. We all do at least one.

Can you say that you don't practice isolation?

EDIT: If life had real meaning, we wouldn't need this

yeah, but it's going to be tough. Garbage tutorial and max difficulty.

A Good Friend said:
That's the point. Zappfes four methods are distractions. It's something to do while waiting for death. We all do at least one.

Can you say that you don't practice isolation?

EDIT: If life had real meaning, we wouldn't need this

It doesn't matter what I do in life. I won't remember any of it anyway.

I don't know...I suppose...

Kointo said:
It doesn't matter what I do in life. I won't remember any of it anyway.

I don't know...I suppose...

I'm just distracting myself.

Hell, internet addiction is the best distraction we ever created. Zappfe would have approved

(btw, I hate people who frame everything in philosophy, but I always liked this one)

A Good Friend said:
I'm just distracting myself.

Hell, internet addiction is the best distraction we ever created. Zappfe would have approved

(btw, I hate people who frame everything in philosophy, but I always liked this one)

So you must hate me sometimes.

QuantumDummy said:

It's impossible to truly enjoy and love life without these things, the only thing you have to cope with is this forum composed of virgins as well as anime, video games, or food which suck compared to well..a social life and companion at your side.

Kointo said:
So you must hate me sometimes.

I've never seen you try to make things fit into a philosophical slogan. Maybe I just don't notice.

13585_-_akiyama_mio_animated_gif_hirasawa_yui_k-on_k-on__k-on___kotobuki_tsumugi_nakano_azusa_reaction_image_tainaka_ritsu.gif

probably not. But I can't see myself being friends with most normies anyway. They are insufferable.

fukmylyf said:
probably not. But I can't see myself being friends with most normies anyway. They are insufferable.

I'm friends with some normies on the fringe. They're okay.

QuantumDummy said:

Yes you can, its not easy though especially if you're in Highschool, college, university or work a job where you'll see people your age having friends, going to parties and getting sex......you'll compare your life to there's and feel like you're missing out if you're not engaged with it.

However if you live a NEET lifestyle or work part time, you don't really become part of a social circle since you barely see anyone so you can't really compare yourself and make yourself feel bad about missing out.....the only peer pressure you might feel then is internet where someone might put you down for not going out more but there peer pressure feels far away....i've also abandoned facebook.

I think it's easier for men to do, i think women would suffer more so just being alone like that.

Depends.

Some people have no desires for human contact

hookers and cocaine

i don't even know anymore. it's likely the only point in our life is to become successful, get a gf, get a wife, and have kids.