Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Determinism and Inceldom

M

malakai

Banned
-
Call this a “cope” if you will, but I think determinism can be a comforting philosophy. Maybe our fate was written in the stars from birth. Do you ever wonder how Chads can pull girls with such little effort, how one can have dozens of friends and we loners struggle?

Viewing it in a sense that your life is a film, not a video game, and whilst you have no say or control over how the film plays out, you are a passenger, along for the ride and are able to see it through to the bitter end.

Of course, free will dismantles this in a sense. But it’s a comforting philosophy, nonetheless and it may explain some of your positions in life. You didn’t choose your script or character.

Determinism is invalid because of quantum mechanics - events are necessarily probabilistic.

I don't believe in "fate" in the magical sense but biological determinism is legit. Humans would rather cope though, which is why concepts like karma and just world hypothesis exist.

Call this a “cope” if you will, but I think determinism can be a comforting philosophy. Maybe our fate was written in the stars from birth. Do you ever wonder how Chads can pull girls with such little effort, how one can have dozens of friends and we loners struggle?

Viewing it in a sense that your life is a film, not a video game, and whilst you have no say or control over how the film plays out, you are a passenger, along for the ride and are able to see it through to the bitter end.

Of course, free will dismantles this in a sense. But it’s a comforting philosophy, nonetheless and it may explain some of your positions in life. You didn’t choose your script or character.

Free will dismantles what ? Free-will doesn't exist, read some some philosophy. It's an absolutely absurd concept that makes no sense. To have free-will you need : 1 : something to not be caused. 2 : something to not be random. It's just impossible in any possible universe to have freewill.

Philosophers nowadays only debate compatibilist free-will, whish is basically : what happens was bound to happen, but since no exterior thing coerced you, that's still free-will.

Science and most philosophers absolutely don't believe in contra-causal free-will (as in you could've done otherwise or an event could happen otherwise in exactly the same circumstances )

Determinism is invalid because of quantum mechanics - events are necessarily probabilistic.

1 : quantum mechanics doesn't apply to the macroscopic world, nor to the human brain (unless you can prove it, no neuroscientist claim it does)

2 : even if it did. Randomness isn't free-will.

1 : quantum mechanics doesn't apply to the macroscopic world, nor to the human brain (unless you can prove it, no neuroscientist claim it does)

2 : even if it did. Randomness isn't free-will.

1) False. Quantum mechanics applies at all scales; it merely converges to classical mechanics in the limit of large quantum numbers.

2) I never claimed that free will existed. Your argument is a red herring.

1) False. Quantum mechanics applies at all scales; it merely converges to classical mechanics in the limit of large quantum numbers.

2) I never claimed that free will existed. Your argument is a red herring.

1 : you're playing on words here, i won't engage on that. Quantum fluctuations don't apply to neurons firing, so yeah it doesn't apply to the human brain according to the current scientific consensus. Show me one neuroscientist who claims that quantum fluctuation plays any part in the firing of neurons.

2 : well in the context of what OP is talking abouut, determinism or determinism + some random fluctuations at the quantum level lead to the same conclusion.

There is no free will since our brain alwasy executes the better given option given the cirumastances.