Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Did the Celts really live in swamps?

• Thread starter Deleted member 30682
  • Start date
Deleted member 30682

Deleted member 30682

Self-banned
-
Today I found this meme:

It seems like Roman historian Cassius Dio claimed that the Celts of northern Britain lived off roots and bark, and were capable of surviving for days on end in swamps with only their heads above water.

Is this true? I find it hard to believe tbh

Tagging history buffs: @Lebensmüder @BummerDrummer @Copexodius Maximus @HidekiTojota (it seems like you're more interested in the military aspects of history but maybe you can add a sarcastic comment or something)

I wouldn’t know

They probably had some kind of Druidic ritual where they would swim around in the swamp to renew their lifeforce or something and the Romans saw that and assumed that's how they live all the time.

They probably had some kind of Druidic ritual where they would swim around in the swamp to renew their lifeforce or something and the Romans saw that and assumed that's how they live all the time.
Makes sense

Today I found this meme:
View attachment 397860

It seems like Roman historian Cassius Dio claimed that the Celts of northern Britain lived off roots and bark, and were capable of surviving for days on end in swamps with only their heads above water.

Tagging history buffs: @Lebensmüder @BummerDrummer @Copexodius Maximus @HidekiTojota (it seems like you're more interested in the military aspects of history but maybe you can add a sarcastic comment or something)
Sounds very hard to believe. But the Romans very often told that about people who they wanted to subjugate. It should always be taken with a grain of salt especially when it's overtly negative or positive, for example Tacitus idealized Germania once, because he wanted Romans to adopt their "customs" which were probably exaggerated in virtue and whitewashed to give the Romans whose virtues were in decay at that time a positive example, Caesar however introduced us to a figure like Critognatus in De Bello Gallico who was a living reminder for the need for imperialism (he deliberately gave him a speech about the evils of Roman Imperialism where suggested that they should cannibalize each other just to remain free therefore automatically refuting the prior critique points just by guilt by association). Romans and the people they conquered always had a very difficult relationship (a mixture of admiration, but also a notion of cultural superiority), but at that time the Mediterranean culture was indeed most likely superior to that of Northerners when it comes to known historical advancements. Not a life in the swamps or a life in the own shit, but still no comparison to Rome (at least judging from historical findings).

Sounds very hard to believe. But the Romans very often told that about people who they wanted to subjugate. It should always be taken with a grain of salt especially when it's overtly negative or positive, for example Tacitus idealized Germania once, because he wanted Romans to adopt their "customs" which were probably exaggerated in virtue and whitewashed to give the Romans whose virtues were in decay at that time a positive example, Caesar however introduced us to a figure like Critognatus in De Bello Gallico who was a living reminder for the need for imperialism (he deliberately gave him a speech about the evils of Roman Imperialism where suggested that they should cannibalize each other just to remain free therefore automatically refuting the prior critique points just by guilt by association). Romans and the people they conquered always had a very difficult relationship (a mixture of admiration, but also a notion of cultural superiority), but at that time the Mediterranean culture was indeed most likely superior to that of Northerners when it comes to known historical advancements. Not a life in the swamps or a life in the own shit, but still no comparison to Rome (at least judging from historical findings).
Good reply ngl

Swamps are very rare in the British isles

Or it could have been they stuck people in the swamp as a form of execution and they didn't particularly want to be in there. That's the kind of thing people did. The Celts didn't write anything so we don't really know what they were up to.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ORjD1iX8g

I think there's no historical records from the middle east about scaphism being used as a form of execution by the Persian empire but I'm sure that it has happened somewhere since there's no way of torture imaginable that hasn't taken place in this hellish world :feelsohgod:

Btw poor eunuch :worryfeels:

Good reply ngl
Roman history is most of the time not really discernible from fiction, most of the time fiction/facts merge with each other. Roman history texts have the accuracy of a modern movie like 300. Somewhere there is truth in it, but it was twisted for sensationalist purposes until it was unrecognizable.

I think there's no historical records from the middle east about scaphism being used as a form of execution by the Persian empire but I'm sure that it has happened somewhere since there's no way of torture imaginable that hasn't taken place in this hellish world :feelsohgod:

Btw poor eunuch :worryfeels:

An example of what I thinking may have been going on if he only saw their heads above the water and they seemed to stay in there trying to eat what they could.

MV5BZmVjYjY5OTEtNGEzMC00ODE4LWJjMjYtMDgxMzg5NTcxNDVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEwODg2MDY@._V1_.jpg

An example of what I thinking may have been going on if he only saw their heads above the water and they seemed to stay in there trying to eat what they could.

MV5BZmVjYjY5OTEtNGEzMC00ODE4LWJjMjYtMDgxMzg5NTcxNDVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEwODg2MDY@._V1_.jpg
Maybe. Tho it looks like too much unecesary work for tribal people.

Maybe. Tho it looks like too much unecesary work for tribal people.

Well that's Flash Gordon but they could weave a net or make a small wooden cage tied to the bottom of the swamp with rope. After a few weeks they will be looking for roots and bits of bark to eat. Romans see them and think that's a lifestyle choice.

Well that's Flash Gordon but they could weave a net or make a small wooden cage tied to the bottom of the swamp with rope. After a few weeks they will be looking for roots and bits of bark to eat. Romans see them and think that's a lifestyle choice.
Yeah it makes sense.

Swamps were common in the British isles before they all got drained.

1166px-East_Anglian_kingdom.svg.png

Naturally some of the Celtic tribes living near those areas would do a Flash Gordon.

Swamps were common in the British isles before they all got drained.

1166px-East_Anglian_kingdom.svg.png

Naturally some of the Celtic tribes living near those areas would do a Flash Gordon.
@hikicel

I’m not knowledge at all about this period but i’ve seen the meme before and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true. Compare Med civilizations to Celtic, Frankish and Germanic civilizations at that time, it’s comparable to when the Europeans first met the Sub Saharan African tribes

Roman history is most of the time not really discernible from fiction, most of the time fiction/facts merge with each other. Roman history texts have the accuracy of a modern movie like 300. Somewhere there is truth in it, but it was twisted for sensationalist purposes until it was unrecognizable.
It is hard enough to separate fact from fiction for events that happened last week in the political cycle, never mind events of circa 2000 years ago.

A good article on this for your reading please, runs at 7,000 words

I’m not knowledge at all about this period but i’ve seen the meme before and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true. Compare Med civilizations to Celtic, Frankish and Germanic civilizations at that time, it’s comparable to when the Europeans first met the Sub Saharan African tribes
Yeah, but the idea of them being capable of spending days in swamps like that as if it was something normal seems too incredible imo. They would evolve into frogs or something :feelskek:
It is hard enough to separate fact from fiction for events that happened last week in the political cycle, never mind events of circa 2000 years ago.

A good article on this for your reading please, runs at 7,000 words

Thanks, I'll read it.

I saw that meme the other day and found this

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/badhistory/comments/7nun0x/they_are_the_most_ignorant_people_i_have_ever/

So basically some nigger made it up to make themselves feel better about being a nigger and to hate on YT

Well the fact remains that the romans saw the celtic britons as barbarian savages. Also they didn't have a written language, and were one of the most isolated groups of people in europe, so they were indeed illiterate and and ignorant.

The quote by Cassius Dio wasn't made up.

Yes celts were brain dead retards. The Irish comes from moorish Iberians (blacks) which is why an Irishman and a black persons skull is similar, and also why Irish people weren’t considered white until very recently

Today I found this meme:
View attachment 397860

Little did they know that the anglos would conquer the world in 2000 years.

I like the Gauls/Celts. They were cool and more based than the romans.

Angus mcbride celtic warriors thumb1
10 facts ancient celts warriors min
D7b7e045ca5d1539387b5819c10e39cd
Celtic Chariot 1

Yes celts were brain dead retards. The Irish comes from moorish Iberians (blacks) which is why an Irishman and a black persons skull is similar, and also why Irish people weren’t considered white until very recently
No they don’t, they come from Dutch Bell Beaker folk, the same as the Britons. Genetically, the Irish cluster together with other Northern European peoples.

No they don’t, they come from Dutch Bell Beaker folk, the same as the Britons. Genetically, the Irish cluster together with other Northern European peoples.
89A33A76 E28E 4F57 ABE7 648AD1969667

Aristotle on shrooms iq

The Irish comes from moorish Iberians (blacks) which is why an Irishman and a black persons skull is similar
Sources?
I like the Gauls/Celts. They were cool and more based than the romans.

View attachment 397951View attachment 397952View attachment 397953View attachment 397954
Anyone that has the balls (literally) to fight in an ancient battle completely naked has my respect and admiration ngl
How did they sleep?

Anglo propaganda. I’ve never met an Irishman who looks like that.
Irish versus English strife has been very real and goes back generations tbh

Irish versus English strife has been very real and goes back generations tbh
800+ years, although it’s sort of died down now. English people have no right to be in Ireland, and I’m English (though part Irish as well).

More than a few Irish people have also illegally come to live in the US tbh :lul:

shrek was irish so yeah