Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Do you actually believe that any of this is real?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8353
  • Start date
Deleted member 8353

Deleted member 8353

Former Hikikomori, Aimless Pleasure Seeker
-
If so, how do you quantify that?

The moment we experience something it certainly feels genuine and compelling. We see ourselves as permanent entities, we believe ourselves to be ever moving forward through time, but these are actually instinctive suppositions rather than knowledge which has be thoroughly proven.

Let me at least attempt to explain what I mean. Before you were reading my thread, what was it that you were doing, can you remember? Reading another thread perhaps, maybe drinking some water. Whatever it was, can you go back to that moment? I don't mean vaguely recreate it within your memory, I mean truly recapture the experience. Of course not. Even if you were to reread that thread, drink some more water, you'll never be able to visit that moment again, it's gone forever. However, do you know why? The new experience of having read my thread has forever changed the game, you'll never recapture the exact feeling and mental state which you had before, as you can't reverse the sequential chain of events. "You" are inextricably linked to that series of events, and maybe in some temporary respect, you are the the sequential chain of experience itself.

Just think about it. If you aren't your memory combined with current thoughts and sensory information, then what exactly are you? If you look inwards, can you see yourself? If you can't say that you're the culmination of all experience, then it makes the most sense to say that you don't exist at all. We imagine as if we were always present, some sort of specter occupying the body, but this simply makes no sense given the available information. Everything ever perceived has changed you, and having the capacity to access your memories doesn't mean "you" were ever really there to experience them, in fact it doesn't even mean anything has ever or will ever actually happen.

Consider your first memory, picture what you were doing, and attempt to remember where you were before that. Try to contemplate the nature of nothing, not darkness, not absence, not loss, just nothing. Now try to imagine what it's like to be dead, as far as "you're" concerned, nothing ever existed at all. Taken together, I think these two notions prove that the seemingly ephemeral state we call existence never actually occurred, meaning that it absolutely can't be happening now. As I've mentioned here before, I look at existence like a dream, and it dissipates after having concluded in a very similar manner. The only difference is that you don't wake up at the end of it, you don't exist, you never existed, you simply couldn't have existed. Existence requires perpetuity, the true nature of reality is immeasurable nothingness.

We are manifestations of the universe trapped inside decaying bodies, however the often unsettling aspect is our capacity to understand our condition and foresee our impending demise. But I think that's alright. I want to go back to what it was like before I was born, the thought is soothing to me.

Very insghtfull thoughts. Are you aquainted with T. Metzinger views on self?

Too much thinking is not good

Very insghtfull thoughts. Are you aquainted with T. Metzinger views on self?
I've heard of him, I recall reading his essay on a "BAAN scenario".

It’s all too real for me

i dont know what to believe anymore but personally this world has never felt like home for me and wouldn't be surprised if none of its real tbh, it definitely doesn't feel real...

Are these all your own thoughts, or did you read about something very similar in the past?

Are these all your own thoughts, or did you read about something very similar in the past?
Undoubtedly both tbh, I've read a decent amount of material on the subject, but much of it is my own thoughts as well. However too much time spent in my room just thinking was definitely what led me to become interested in this stuff at all.

i wish i could actually read this and digest it's information instead of just making noises in my mind and calling it "reading"

i wish i could actually read this and digest it's information instead of just making noises in my mind and calling it "reading"
Truthfully I probably could've worded it better as well, but the two main points I'm attempting to make are extremely difficult to do justice to when trying to be even remotely concise.

Truthfully I probably could've worded it better as well, but the two main points I'm attempting to make are extremely difficult to do justice to when trying to be even remotely concise.
i guess language only gets you so far when it comes to sharing abstract ideas

i guess language only gets you so far when it comes to sharing abstract ideas
tbh...
Schopenhauer said:
A thought only really lives until it has reached the boundary line of words; it then becomes petrified and dies immediately; yet it is as everlasting as the fossilised animals and plants of former ages. Its existence, which is really momentary, may be compared to a crystal the instant it becomes crystallised.

As soon as a thought has found words it no longer exists in us or is serious in its deepest sense.

When it begins to exist for others it ceases to live in us; just as a child frees itself from its mother when it comes into existence.

...The pen is to thought what the stick is to walking, but one walks most easily without a stick, and thinks most perfectly when no pen is at hand. It is only when a man begins to get old that he likes to make use of a stick and his pen.