Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

I

ionlycopenow

Self-banned
-
Do you? If not, what do you say about people who claim near death experiences? Are they lying, or is it something else? It's important to remember that even after you die, some of your cells are still alive and in some cases they fire off crazier than usual as well. They do die eventually though as well until all of your cells are dead, so do you think these "near death experiences" are just the gradual death of the body as a whole, something else, or just total BS?

No. If there's an afterlife after i sui , I would be extremely frustrated

No. I think it's the oldest cope to cope with death

no but i believe in quantum immortality/ressurection

Im a few grams of energy.

No, but who really knows

No. If there's an afterlife after i sui , I would be extremely frustrated

the after life is real , and NDE are just a confirmation of something way beyond this limited low level physical existence
Does it really matter ?
yes my neighbor

Last edited:
I just want to be with my waifu in a higher plane of existence ngl.

No. And near death experiences have been replicated under controlled conditions via oxygen deprivation to the brain. That's all they are.

I genuinely hope there isn't. This existence is already a pain in the ass, i don't wanna feel, nor be able to think anything after i've died. Near death expiriences are bullshit, imo. As the people who claim to have expirienced them. Were never actually dead in the first place. Sure they were clinically dead, but their brains were still functioning, and producing hormones/realising feel good chemicals. There was never anyone brain dead who we managed to revive. So we can't posibily know, whether or not there actually is a after life. Personally i doubt it.

I have said it many times already. We don't need near death experiences. We already know what full death feels like. Everything else is cope.
I just want to be with my waifu in a higher plane of existence ngl.
But does your waifu wants to be with you?

I could accept the plausability of reincarnation or Nietzsche's concept of eternal recurrence. The notion of heaven or 72 virgin paradise or whatever is braindead cope.

I dont think NDEs are evidence for an afterlife. The brain does all sorts of weird shit when we die, and people end up interpreting this shit through their cultural lenses. Just take acid, DMT, or other psychedelics and youd realize that just because our brains can produce unexplainable perceptions, this doesnt mean they are reflective of empirical reality

Also, specifically with the "tunnel of light" vision people have, ive heard it explained as the occipital lobe of the brain malfunctioning due to blood or oxygen loss. Theres probably more details im missing

Maby :feelshmm:. But rlly tho, jihadists blow themselves up to meet their 72 waifus. People actually do it.
That sounds like a nice way to comfort yourself at least, it's easier to accept death if you're going to be meeting your waifus tbh.

That sounds like a nice way to comfort yourself at least, it's easier to accept death if you're going to be meeting your waifus tbh.
I always imagined that when I die I would be reincarnated into my self in my pretend world

I always imagined that when I die I would be reincarnated into my self in my pretend world
That's similar to what I fantasize about, it helps.

No. And near death experiences have been replicated under controlled conditions via oxygen deprivation to the brain. That's all they are.
Source on this?

I could accept the plausability of reincarnation or Nietzsche's concept of eternal recurrence. The notion of heaven or 72 virgin paradise or whatever is braindead cope.

I dont think NDEs are evidence for an afterlife. The brain does all sorts of weird shit when we die, and people end up interpreting this shit through their cultural lenses. Just take acid, DMT, or other psychedelics and youd realize that just because our brains can produce unexplainable perceptions, this doesnt mean they are reflective of empirical reality

Also, specifically with the "tunnel of light" vision people have, ive heard it explained as the occipital lobe of the brain malfunctioning due to blood or oxygen loss. Theres probably more details im missing
Thing is, with NDE you lose concept of time, (probably), so what if you're stuck there for "eternity" as your last cells are dying? or would the death of every cell in your body end even your perception of "eternity"?

I have said it many times already. We don't need near death experiences. We already know what full death feels like. Everything else is cope.

But does your waifu wants to be with you?
Explain.

the after life is real , and NDE are just a confirmation of something way beyond this limited low level physical existence

yes my neighbor
Interesting take

Me personally I fear death very much

Most people with NDEs say it's like being in a dream free of any worry, a very few say it's horrible though. That is terrifying to think of.
Does it really matter ?
Yes man. If you are stuck for all eternity in one spot, you better hope it's a good one.

Thing is, with NDE you lose concept of time, (probably), so what if you're stuck there for "eternity" as your last cells are dying? or would the death of every cell in your body end even your perception of "eternity"?

Suppose that this is true (I think it is, but let's ignore my opinion for now). There is no way for an outside observer to measure and confirm/deny this, since your own perception is unique to yourself. It's a qualitative intangible that is impossible to convey as empirical data even from your own perspective. How can you measure that time is passing for somebody even when they're alive? All you're doing is sharing clocks, but the internal perception of the passage of time is not currently measurable with any known tool or method at our disposal. If there was, we could get closer to "solving" consciousness.

I am a proponent of the idea that time slows down as you approach death and whatever state your consciousness ends in is the state you will "experience" for "eternity." This is why I think some religions like Islam place a heavy emphasis on "dying in a state of belief." This idea has some merit, but further neuroscientific studies into brain states upon death need to be studied. It's a medical fact that certain bodily processes, such as hair growth, continue for some brief period of time after clinical death, so it's not so farfetched to hypothesize that the brain could also have some sort of persistent state (even if for a brief moment) after clinical death. It may be that during this brief moment of a constant, persistent brain state (if it proves to exist) that your "eternity after death" is experienced by "you."

Last edited:
We don't need testimonies of nde to ascertain what the experience of death is like. Because each and every one of us has already experienced death.

Suppose that this is true (I think it is, but let's ignore my opinion for now). There is no way for an outside observer to measure and confirm/deny this, since your own perception is unique to yourself. It's a qualitative intangible that is impossible to convey as empirical data even from your own perspective. How can you measure that time is passing for somebody even when they're alive? All you're doing is sharing clocks, but the internal perception of the passage of time is not currently measurable with any known tool or method at our disposal. If there was, we could get closer to "solving" consciousness.

I am a proponent of the idea that time slows down as you approach death and whatever state your consciousness ends in is the state you will "experience" for "eternity." This is why I think some religions like Islam place a heavy emphasis on "dying in a state of belief." This idea has some merit, but further neuroscientific studies into brain states upon death need to be studied upon death. It's a medical fact that certain bodily processes, such as hair growth, continue for some brief period of time after clinical death, so it's not so farfetched to hypothesize that the brain could also have some sort of persistent state (even if for a brief moment) after clinical death. It may be that during this brief moment of a constant, persistent brain state (if it proves to exist) that your "eternity after death" is experienced by "you."
So if you die scared of death your will be scared for all eternity. That is terrifying Man

I'm anxious as a person too, that doesn't help me at all.

I hope I can find peace

for some reason i do, although i am kinda scared ngl, i hope i can just die one day and have this miserable existence end

so it's not so farfetched to hypothesize that the brain could also have some sort of persistent state (even if for a brief moment) after clinical death. It may be that during this brief moment of a constant, persistent brain state (if it proves to exist) that your "eternity after death" is experienced by "you."
Experience requires process which requires energy. Eternal experience would mean infinite energy, which is physically not possible

So if you die scared of death your will be scared for all eternity. That is terrifying Man

I'm anxious as a person too, that doesn't help me at all.

I hope I can find peace

I don't want to tell you that it's true, but I believe that it's true.

And yes, it's absolutely, soul-crushingly terrifying. Imagine whatever you're feeling right now (joy, sadness, hunger, elation, anxiety, pain) at this very moment being the only feeling you will feel for what may very well seem to be forever.

That can be something that might be impossible to cope with. I'm still struggling with it myself. Every night I pray that I die during some happy dream, and not during some shooting, car crash, or explosion. Dying in peace would be the greatest mercy by the Creator.

I hope I can find peace
I had been dead for billions of years before I was conceived. Why should the billions of years after my death be any different.

no afterlife, just eternal return :feelsLightsaber:

Experience requires process which requires energy. Eternal experience would mean infinite energy, which is physically not possible

What is "experience"? What and how are you defining it?

I don't want to tell you that it's true, but I believe that it's true.

And yes, it's absolutely, soul-crushingly terrifying. Imagine whatever you're feeling right now (joy, sadness, hunger, elation, anxiety, pain) at this very moment being the only feeling you will feel for what may very well seem to be forever.

That can be something that might be impossible to cope with. I'm still struggling with it myself. Every night I pray that I die during some happy dream, and not during some shooting, car crash, or explosion. Dying in peace would be the greatest mercy by the Creator.
This is giving me panic attacks man :feelsbadman:

I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight

Maybe things like anxiety, depression are the biggest curses ever, thinking about being in that state for all eternity, or god forbid your brain somehow processes that as hell for eternity, truly horrifying

Ive been going through constant anxiety for about a week now and the thought of just being like that "forever"...

I can only hope, I will find peace before I die.
I had been dead for billions of years before I was conceived. Why should the billions of years after my death be any different.
You weren't dead you just didn't exist

You may be right, @based_meme may be right, or none of us are

What is "experience"? What and how are you defining it?
Hard to say. But it goes back to our perception(conscious or otherwise) derived from the electro-chemical processes in our brain and how they manifest in our sense of self.

You weren't dead you just didn't exist

Yup. That's what death is. You stop existing as a biological entity. Just like you didn't exist before you were born

Yup. That's what death is. You stop existing as a biological entity. Just like you didn't exist before you were born
If @based_meme is theorizing is true then that isn't true

If @based_meme is theorizing is true then that isn't true
What @based_meme is theorizing is physically impossible.
In fact if we experience an eternity within a few seconds after clinical death, our brain would collapse under the weight of its own gravity and turn into a black hole.

Now I have seen my share of dead people but I have yet to see a black hole.

What @based_meme is theorizing is physically impossible.

In fact if we experience an eternity within a few seconds after clinical death, our brain would collapse under the weight of its own gravity and turn into a black hole.

In clinical death your cells don't actually die until a while later, which varies greatly

We actually don't know enough about the brain to confidently say if you're wrong or right

Maybe in the coming decades we will know enough to see how much more or less valid these theories are

In clinical death your cells don't actually die until a while later, which varies greatly
I know. Still not enough time or energy to experience an eternity. Maybe have a brief shitty dream before eternal sleep.

I know. Still not enough time or energy to experience an eternity. Maybe have a brief shitty dream before eternal sleep.
If your concept of "time" no longer exists how do you know that in that shitty dream it won't be eternity for you?

This is giving me panic attacks man :feelsbadman:

I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight

Maybe things like anxiety, depression are the biggest curses ever, thinking about being in that state for all eternity, or god forbid your brain somehow processes that as hell for eternity, truly horrifying

Ive been going through constant anxiety for about a week now and the thought of just being like that "forever"...

I can only hope, I will find peace before I die.

I'm sorry, brocel, I didn't mean to terrify you.

May you find peace.

Hard to say. But it goes back to our perception(conscious or otherwise) derived from the electro-chemical processes in our brain and how they manifest in our sense of self.

"Experience" is in actuality a very vague and broad concept. I suppose you could define it as some minimum collection of discrete neuro-chemical processes, but that's a very narrow, scientific definition that doesn't encompass the breadth of episodic, macroscale interactions that we generally mean when we use the term. In other words it's not a practically useful definition.

When I say "experience" it includes things like large scale quantities of sensory data that accumulate in a familiar or novel pattern from our interactions with the environment and/or other people. Things like "going outdoor rock climbing with your friends for the first time." That's an experience - a unique one in this case (since it's your first time). However, experience in the way I use it also includes internal mental states like your daydreaming episodes. Sure, there are no external sensory stimuli that form (or reform) your neural nets, and most people would not qualify your own delusional fantasies as "experiences." However, they are internal cognitive mental states that are idiosyncratic and measurable, so in some sense, yes, your daydreams are "real."

In this regard it becomes meaningful to classify your internal brain states as "experiences." I haven't checked the literature lately, but I would conjecture to say that the simple activity of daydreaming can have an impact on dendritic growth and shape your neural networks similar to how "normal" experiences do. It would be interesting research, and the results could have useful and practical consequences (e.g., daydreaming on your bus ride to your dreaded destination, like work, may help slowly restructure your brain to make that work more bearable over time). It may even justify getting "lost" in virtual worlds when VR technology becomes more commonplace.

If your concept of "time" no longer exists how do you know that in that shitty dream it won't be eternity for you?
Perception of time is still a nuerological process. Every second of our experience of time takes energy. Subjective experience is not independent from physical processes at its base. Unless you actually believe in a soul.

Your perception of time is not the same thing as the actual, measurable passage of time. Your own dreams can testify to this. You can take psychedelics and other mind-altering drugs to greatly alter your perception of time. That doesn't suddenly create a massive influx of energy.