Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment English-nativecels GTFIH

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
how do you feel about foreigners speaking your language?
there aren't that many people who learn to speak Polish (well, there are immigrant workers in factories, but I don't work, so I don't interact with them), so my first (subconscious) reaction when hearing someone make many mistakes or speak with an accent is to think less of him, as if he were retarded or a child (my brain probably assumes that's the case, because these are the only situations when you'd hear a native speaker speak broken Polish)
I think it might be different in the case of English, because it's the de facto global lingua franca, so you're surrounded (even if not directly, through TV shows, internet etc. ) by non-native speakers who obviously have accents and often speak more or less broken English (one extreme case is Slavoj Zizek who is smart and his English seems superb in terms of grammar and vocabulary, but he's got Slavic-boomer-tier accent)
do you automatically assume someone is less intelligent if he speaks with an accent or are you used to it and it doesn't bother you?

not a native English speaker but I comment because why not

my english is retarded :feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman:

lowinhibitmogs me

same tbh
at least I have good passive knowledge of it, so I can consume English-language media (although reading fiction is still a challenge)
i had 6 in technikum from extended english but im not really that good, just teachers liked me lol

i had 6 in technikum from extended english but im not really that good, just teachers liked me lol
same tbhtbh
I've even won a few prizes in contests, but I'm an Englishlet anyway tbhtbh

Accents don't really bother me. I don't think of them as coming off as less intelligent. You can generally tell whether a speaker is intelligent or unintelligent regardless of his accent.

Accents don't really bother me. I don't think of them as coming off as less intelligent. You can generally tell whether a speaker is intelligent or unintelligent regardless of his accent.
Your post in the thread [Experiment] English-nativecels GTFIH was deleted. Reason: keep polish language posts to polish megathread

thanks

That's really nice to hear :feelsautistic:

Zizek is a filthy commie

hmmmm i do assume that someone is less intelligent when someone speaks broken german because they are mostly low iq refugees who still didnt learn the language after being multiple years here

It's a good thing as it means we can then communicate as I know fuck all of any other language.

hmmmm i do assume that someone is less intelligent when someone speaks broken german because they are mostly low iq refugees who still didnt learn the language after being multiple years here
remembering the grammatical genders of nouns was always difficult for me in German (I had German in high school, but I barely remember anything) tbhtbh :feelstrash:
but you have way more sensible verbal system and orthography than English

remembering the grammatical genders of nouns was always difficult for me in German (I had German in high school, but I barely remember anything) tbhtbh :feelstrash:
but you have way more sensible verbal system and orthography than English
hmm yes but there are people here who get refugeebuxxx and a an appartment paid for by government and still dont speak one sentence german after like multiple years lol

Speaking of accents, I always struggle with the 'r' sound. If I try to pronounce it like an American does, it sounds fake and forced most of the time. Strangely, the voice in my head has no accent at all, it is only when I speak loudly that my sandniggerness starts to show itself. I rarely communicate in English IRL though, so it doesn't matter much to me.

there aren't that many people who learn to speak Polish (well, there are immigrant workers in factories, but I don't work, so I don't interact with them), so my first (subconscious) reaction when hearing someone make many mistakes or speak with an accent is to think less of him, as if he were retarded or a child (my brain probably assumes that's the case, because these are the only situations when you'd hear a native speaker speak broken Polish)
I think it might be different in the case of English, because it's the de facto global lingua franca, so you're surrounded (even if not directly, through TV shows, internet etc. ) by non-native speakers who obviously have accents and often speak more or less broken English (one extreme case is Slavoj Zizek who is smart and his English seems superb in terms of grammar and vocabulary, but he's got Slavic-boomer-tier accent)
do you automatically assume someone is less intelligent if he speaks with an accent or are you used to it and it doesn't bother you?
I think Russian accents seem smarter than American accents tbh

Speaking of accents, I always struggle with the 'r' sound. If I try to pronounce it like an American does, it sounds fake and forced most of the time. Strangely, the voice in my head has no accent at all, it is only when I speak loudly that my sandniggerness starts to show itself. I rarely communicate in English IRL though, so it doesn't matter much to me.
I personally always hated /æ/ sound. It's so prevalent in British English, but I can't properly pronounce it unless I really focus, and even then it comes out fake and exaggerated.

English is the global lingua franca. How is someone a "foreigner"? What makes someone a native English speaker?

I grew up in Hong Kong. My Asian parents wanted my English to be indistinguishable from that of a native speaker, so when I was three years old, they hired a couple of white foids to teach me English for several hours a day. My tiger parents literally went to book fairs with a suitcase, bought a few hundred U.S. dollars worth of books, and made me read through the whole thing. This went on for a few years.

It's a pretty unconventional way of becoming a native speaker, but it worked. It helped when I later moved to Singapore, and then the U.S., and now the U.K. Now English feels extremely natural to me -- I dream and process daily thoughts in English.

In terms of accents, I will say this: speaking good English in a country where English isn't the dominant language is a sign of social status or career status. If you're a pilot, or a lawyer, or a doctor, or in any customer-facing role with a global client base -- you need to be proficient at the least. If you speak fluently, it's a sign that your parents could afford private tutors or international schools or studying abroad, so that meant you weren't poor.
I think Russian accents seem smarter than American accents tbh

I love the way that Russians always sound like they're going to kick someone's ass.

hmm yes but there are people here who get refugeebuxxx and a an appartment paid for by government and still dont speak one sentence german after like multiple years lol
revolting tbh
if I were to move somewhere (I don't plan to), I'd be sure to learn the local language asap
weird, the "r" sound was always the easiest one for me; maybe because I don't really roll my "r"s (in Polish you can pronounce it either as /r/ or /ɾ/ (a tap), the former is considered more elegant, but the latter is also acceptable and I use the second one), so a language which doesn't require it was godsent (Modern Hebrew's /ʁ/ is even better)

I also have perfect native accent in my head, but when I try to say it aloud, it comes out sounding like potatospeech
I can pinpoint all the problems with my accent and if I really focus I can pronounce everything almost perfectly, but if I try to speak at regular pace, I reverts to my weird accent
my accent is a mixture of everything I've ever heard, because I didn't care about the distinction between British and American English up until recently
my biggest issue are the vowels and the fact I didn't pay attention to the distinctions between varieties of English in the past, so I can switch between British and American pronunciation in a single sentence
I have trouble distinguishing between /ʌ/ (strut), /ɑ/ (lot in American English) and /ɒ/ (lot in British English) - I usually pronounce something like /ɑ~ɒ/ (slightly rounded)
I often mix up /u/ (goose) and /ʊ/ (foot), I compensate it by elongating /u:/, but it's not consistent with the pronunciation of vowels mentioned above (/ɑ/ is elongated in British)
I also have no idea what to do with /t/ between vowels, so I inconsistently mix the American strategy (switching it to /ɾ/ or even /d/) with the British one (glottal stop), so I pronounce "better" as /'bɛɾə/ or /ˈbɛʔə/ - I'm currently trying to standardmaxx and simply say /t/ (/ˈbɛtə/)

It is your languge it is MY language.

It's all because Germany lost WWII. Now English is the world language, smh.

Not a native English speaker. When foreigners try to speak German, it depends on the accent. Some accents sound really nice and friendly (French, Spanish, Swedish, Dutch, English) others sound annoying af (Russian, Romanian, Hungarian, Turkish, Polish).

I would like to see this pop celebriety dumb fuck zizek on a gallow

Last edited:
English is the global lingua franca. How is someone a "foreigner"? What makes someone a native English speaker?

I grew up in Hong Kong. My Asian parents wanted my English to be indistinguishable from that of a native speaker, so when I was three years old, they hired a couple of white foids to teach me English for several hours a day. My tiger parents literally went to book fairs with a suitcase, bought a few hundred U.S. dollars worth of books, and made me read through the whole thing. This went on for a few years.

It's a pretty unconventional way of becoming a native speaker, but it worked. It helped when I later moved to Singapore, and then the U.S., and now the U.K. Now English feels extremely natural to me -- I dream and process daily thoughts in English.
I envy you tbh
there's certainly some level of ambiguity to determining who's the native and who's not, your case is special and I'd have no issue calling you a native
unfortunately I started learning English when I was about 9 years old and it wasn't intensive education, I've only really picked up English, because I've been consuming a lot of English-language entertainment (YouTube, TV shows) since high school, but there's only so much you can learn through passive observation of the colloquial variation of the language (e. g. no complex sentence structures, limited vocabulary, poor (or even wrong - Americans often overuse Past Simple in speech) use of tenses etc. )
I wish my parents paid more attention to my education (not only language education, just education in general) - I was always at the top of my class, but it turns out it was only because I was surrounded by poor and stupid people, so the bar was really low - I'm mogged to oblivion language-wise by tiger-parented Asians (well, not only, but that's the stereotype) despite having an advantage in this field (speaking an Indo-European language since birth)
I've been trying to improve my English recently and surely enough I'll probably be able to make up for the lost years (I'll probably always have a foreign accent, but that's not that important), but it really grieves me to think about my formative years lost to basically ldaring while thinking I'm smart, because I'd achieved B1/B2 in a foreign language jfl meanwhile children whose parents actually gave fuck probably had comparable results in the primary school