Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Hikikomori: a relevant parallel (subclass?) of inceldom

blickpall

blickpall

O T L
-
Hello everyone. In my line of work I encounter many research studies and experiments on varying subjects. Recently I've been working on something involving hikikomori - for those of you unfamiliar, it is roughly the Japanese equivalent of a socially withdrawn NEET - and I thought that one paper in particular was pertinent to some of the stories I've seen shared on this site. I've attached the .pdf to this post for your perusal.

Of particular interest should be the middle pages of the document - page ~10 onwards. Here there are testimonials and quotes from hikikomori and their family members. Upon reading them, I felt a strong connection to some of the concepts they were pushing. The researcher's conclusions based on the amalgamated qualitative data are interesting to read as well. I figured that you guys may be interested to read a scholarly paper outlining something similar to the experiences of incels.

EDIT: Important addendum is that a large majority of their informants came from anonymous online message boards and chat rooms that were specifically designated for hikikomori, similar to this place being for incels. Thought that was another nice parallel.

Attachments

• OJPM_2016011514315087.pdf
    570.3 KB · Views: 224
Yeah

I believe they withdraw from society because they lack access to sex, enough with the bs "social pressure"

If they had a woman they will jump outside in a heartbeat, and never gone hikki in the 1st place

nausea said:
Yeah

I believe they withdraw from society because they lack access to sex, enough with the bs "social pressure"

If they had a woman they will jump outside in a heartbeat, and never gone hikki in the 1st place

I think a lot of what the article talks about falls more in line with high inhibition and a lack of introspect (I know, I know, this is bluepill cope stuff). There was one testimonial in there of a person who had secluded themselves for a long time, but following this longitudinal interview process, began to emerge from their shell and start "a relationship" (romantic level unspecified) less than four months later. This to me speaks volumes about mentalcel as a reality. Of course, we don't know what this guy looks like or exactly what this relationship is. The point I'm getting to is that yes, I do think that if they knew there was a woman waiting for them who would love them unconditionally and give them a lot of validation, they would no longer be hikikomori/incel; however, those don't get delivered on a silver platter.

man

sex GETS delivered on a GOLD platter to chads

anyway, inceldom causes mental damage, true

It's weird that so many of the Hikkimori they interviewed were women, idk what to think about that.

I can't take it seriously when women in the US claim to be incels.

majority of hikkis are males afaIk

nausea said:
majority of hikkis are males afaIk

Age 20-29 at onset and male is the "norm."

However, for some ~15% it starts before the age of 14.

EDIT: "Additionally, men represented 66.1% of
hikikomoriindividuals in the 2010 survey, and
63.3% in the 2016 survey, which is a slight
decrease. Given that women in the affinity
group of the 2016 survey represent 59.3%, one
could not reasonably claim that hikikomori is
essentially a problem among men."

(from a different study)

I can't blame them. There is no point going outside as an incel, other than food. For me, hermitceling is the best cope.