Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Cope How do I learn C++?

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
I put together some spaghetti code in Python sometimes and I've played around with C in my teens, so I have the general idea of programming as well as C-like syntax
I've tried using the book "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" but it seems to be aimed at total newbies and it's not even that good at it
I thought about just going through https://learnxinyminutes.com/docs/c++/ and looking up stuff as I go (which is pretty much how I've learnt Python) but I'd like to make well structured code instead of piecing together spaghetti from StackOverflow
I guess more than an introduction to the language, I need a book that would explain intricacies of it (like "does if(!x) catch only variables defined as false, or does it also catch null, 0 or uninitiated variables?", advanced OOP, "how do I not screw up text encoding if I want to make foreign-language friendly programs" etc. ) and most importantly good programming practices/style in general

No reply pill :feelsohgod:

C++ is just C with extra shit

That C++ isn't just C with extra shit
That's how I remember it, haven't used in couple of years

I remember it as being like C with shit like object oriented programming

Do a project or two in C++, its basically like C but with some java like features like objects.

use this site. I used this to learn c++. w3schools.com

I remember it as being like C with shit like object oriented programming
It can be used like that but that's not how modern C++ is used, and it's not all it is.

If you want I can help you, I did C++ at uni for about a year before I dropped out.

idk, just pick a project to do, like make a minesweeper game, and then try to do it

lynda.com is usually free if you go to university.

Difference between C and C++ is that C is a procedural language - it has functions and it has no knowledge of objects the only way you can make a pseudo-object is through the use of structures (eg struct). C++ is object oriented language - you have classes and objects which represent instances of those classes. Each object has attributes, methods etc and you can regulate access and encapsulate everything. C++ also has neat things like defining operators for your class, namespaces, templates, you can use virtual methods and abstract classes (example: you have chads and incels and they’re all people, you can put them in an array or dynamic list of persons and call person.sex() for each person in list, incels gonna suicide and chads gonna fuq foids).

Each have their uses, C is used a lot more for firmware and system software, because it’s simple and efficient and doesn’t have some issues compared with C++. C++ is used for more casual shit. If you’re a newbie I recommend seeing a Java/C# tutorial. They’re a lot easier and you don’t have to worry about memory management and pointers like with C/C++ which is the most difficult part for beginners.

Last edited:
By being programming prodigy like @kodoku

why not learn an actual useful lang¿

what language would you recommend? C++ is extremely popular

maybe im biased cuz i mostly know javascript but I find it's the most useful language because it works for everything, web dev, scraping, scripting, blockchain, mobile apps, desktop apps, I don't see many tools made in c++ unless it's some very high iq shit

maybe im biased cuz i mostly know javascript but I find it's the most useful language because it works for everything, web dev, scraping, scripting, blockchain, mobile apps, desktop apps, I don't see many tools made in c++ unless it's some very high iq shit
what's a good resource for learning js scraping?

example: you have chads and incels and they’re all people, you can put them in an array or dynamic list of persons and call person.sex() for each person in list, incels gonna suicide and chads gonna fuq foids
:dafuckfeels:

C++ primer is a good book I've heard. As for what language to pick... well it depends on what your application domain is. Are you in (data) science/machine learning? Learn Python and R. Want to be a software engineer, probably Java, C# or C++ indeed, and toy with Python on the side too. Web development Javascript & Python. For webdev I can recommend freecodecamp.org, very reputable open-source MOOC. Many people who finish it got jobs at high-tech companies like Google, Facebook

I did C for a while but I'm not that good

by learning C++

go through any of the millions of tutorials on the internet
also practice

go through any of the millions of tutorials on the internet
also practice
99 percent of tutorials are done by curries living in a shack with their fan on

Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to do data science / ml, python/matlab/r is probably your best bet, and I personally use cython or numba if I need some actual C tier performance and can't find any libraries for doing what I want. (I don't like matlab much, even if I do use it sometimes.)

spaghetti code in Python

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
There is a dedicated style guide.

or

do Modern C not C+ or C# there is books on it and pdfs online for free, works best on linux or macos for terminal coding with it but like windows also works.

99 percent of tutorials are done by curries living in a shack with their fan on
You're okay with being intelligence mogged by an Indian man living in a shack with his fan on?

i don't know man, never learnt coding