Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious How do we improve our personalities?

TheNEET

TheNEET

mentally crippled by sleepoverless teen years
★★★★★
I'm reading Friendship and virtue ethics in the Book of Job by Particia Vesely and it has quite a large introduction to virtue ethics, mostly based on Artistotle. Of course I've heard the phrase before, but I haven't done any reading about it (other than Wikipedia), but I really should! This system seems extremely similar to the instruction of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic where the elements of harmony (represented first by physical artifacts and then, more abstractly, by the main cast of the show) seem to be the guide for proper living and behavior.

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying something or even misrepresenting: as I've said, I've only read an introduction in that book and Wikipedia. Anyway, here's a quick rundown. Virtue ethics is all about virtues (duh) which are basically characters traits or habits. Instead of following a set of rules (deontology) or acting based on the predicted outcome (consequentialism), you should develop virtues or habits which will enable you to make proper choices instinctively. The focal point of virtue ethics seems to be that human experience is too complex to be reduced to some algorithm that could determine proper behavior.

For example if you're managing a company (let's assume it's a small company where you have to manage everything yourself instead of hiring people to do it for you) and want to keep it orderly, the preferable manner would be to develop a virtue of organization/tidiness instead of just reading Company Management 101 and applying the rules (which would probably not be exhaustive and sooner or later you'd run into unexpected behavior). How do you develop such virtue? You start as a child, you clean up your toys, you tidy your room, then you manage your homework, studying, later you organize projects etc. This way tidiness becomes your second nature and you don't even have to think about applying it to other endeavors (of course, using manuals is not wrong, but virtues are basically skills -- you need to get good at them with practice, not just have an illuminating experience and immediately apply a rule set).

As I've already suggested, virtues aren't only about ethical behavior. Virtues enable you to do things properly. Aristotle argues there are virtues (I'd call them metavirtues as they're collections of smaller virtues) applying to different species (and social classes) which enable them to become good at being human, being a horse, being a husband, being a citizen etc.

Aristotle said:
Every virtue both brings that of which it is the virtue into a good condition and causes the work belonging to that thing to be done well. For example, the virtue of the eye makes both the eye and its work excellent, for by means of the virtue of the eye, we see well. Similarly, the virtue of a horse makes the horse both excellent and good when it comes to running, and carrying its rider, and standing its ground before enemies. If indeed this is so in all cases, then the virtue of a human being too would be that characteristic as a result of which a human being becomes good and as a result of which he causes his own work to be done well.

These (meta)virtues don't include only internal factors, they also include external factors, things outside of our control. Friendship and human interaction in general are part of the virtue of a human. It's necessary for being good at being human, just as good health is necessary for enjoying your human experience.

Particia Vesely said:
The “happy” person is someone who has cultivated the multiplicity of virtues and who enjoys gifts not wholly under her control, including friendships, health, and a good family. A life spent in solitude, even one devoted to intellectual musing, for Aristotle, is not complete.

Why are these virtues important? What does the term personality boils down to? I'd say that personality is just a collection of habits or, in context of this system, virtues. Improving your personality is basically cultivating virtues (I'd say positive virtues but it's probably tautology; virtues include only positive habits, I think). I'm stressing the word cultivating.

Now, the common incel experience is exclusion. I've tried to make friends many times only to get excluded, people straight-up refuse to meet with me or talk to me. We're not even given a chance. As I've mentioned before, virtues can't be learned from a book, you can't just follow an algorithm to get better at being a good friend (I'm being very generous here, we don't even get a proper set of rules, at best we get very vague and often contradictory tips). How are we supposed to improve our personality then?

Normies get angry at nice guys or neckbeards being awkward, but what do they expect? You can't simply learn social interaction from a book, you actually have to experience it and there's nowhere to train friendship. That's literally the point of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (well, at least the early seasons): to get good at friendship, you make friends and slowly, through experiences, get good at it, you don't just read a book about it and try to apply it in real life to get humiliated. Twilight Sparkle has the advantage that she lives in a magical world of friendly ponies: when she arrives in Ponyville, there's already a bunch of ponies ready to befriend her and they're very tolerant of her ineptitude. In real life? You read about the magic of friendship, go out, approach someone, get called a creep and posted on some subreddit making fun of CRINGE EVIL STINKY NECKBEARDS.

I used to think that therapy would give me a chance to practice friendship, but my own experience was a giant disappointment. Friendship is all about empathy, but for me therapy was indulging in narcissistic analysis detached from the concept of me as a member of the society. How am I supposed to train if I'm denied a chance to? They want us to improve our personality, but I genuinely don't see how we are supposed to do it.

with money or surgery

I'm reading Friendship and virtue ethics in the Book of Job by Particia Vesely and it has quite a large introduction to virtue ethics, mostly based on Artistotle. Of course I've heard the phrase before, but I haven't done any reading about it (other than Wikipedia), but I really should! This system seems extremely similar to the instruction of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic where the elements of harmony (represented first by physical artifacts and then, more abstractly, by the main cast of the show) seem to be the guide for proper living and behavior.

Sorry if I'm oversimplifying something or even misrepresenting: as I've said, I've only read an introduction in that book and Wikipedia. Anyway, here's a quick rundown. Virtue ethics is all about virtues (duh) which are basically characters traits or habits. Instead of following a set of rules (deontology) or acting based on the predicted outcome (consequentialism), you should develop virtues or habits which will enable you to make proper choices instinctively. The focal point of virtue ethics seems to be that human experience is too complex to be reduced to some algorithm that could determine proper behavior.

For example if you're managing a company (let's assume it's a small company where you have to manage everything yourself instead of hiring people to do it for you) and want to keep it orderly, the preferable manner would be to develop a virtue of organization/tidiness instead of just reading Company Management 101 and applying the rules (which would probably not be exhaustive and sooner or later you'd run into unexpected behavior). How do you develop such virtue? You start as a child, you clean up your toys, you tidy your room, then you manage your homework, studying, later you organize projects etc. This way tidiness becomes your second nature and you don't even have to think about applying it to other endeavors (of course, using manuals is not wrong, but virtues are basically skills -- you need to get good at them with practice, not just have an illuminating experience and immediately apply a rule set).

As I've already suggested, virtues aren't only about ethical behavior. Virtues enable you to do things properly. Aristotle argues there are virtues (I'd call them metavirtues as they're collections of smaller virtues) applying to different species (and social classes) which enable them to become good at being human, being a horse, being a husband, being a citizen etc.

These (meta)virtues don't include only internal factors, they also include external factors, things outside of our control. Friendship and human interaction in general are part of the virtue of a human. It's necessary for being good at being human, just as good health is necessary for enjoying your human experience.

Why are these virtues important? What does the term personality boils down to? I'd say that personality is just a collection of habits or, in context of this system, virtues. Improving your personality is basically cultivating virtues (I'd say positive virtues but it's probably tautology; virtues include only positive habits, I think). I'm stressing the word cultivating.

Now, the common incel experience is exclusion. I've tried to make friends many times only to get excluded, people straight-up refuse to meet with me or talk to me. We're not even given a chance. As I've mentioned before, virtues can't be learned from a book, you can't just follow an algorithm to get better at being a good friend (I'm being very generous here, we don't even get a proper set of rules, at best we get very vague and often contradictory tips). How are we supposed to improve our personality then?

Normies get angry at nice guys or neckbeards being awkward, but what do they expect? You can't simply learn social interaction from a book, you actually have to experience it and there's nowhere to train friendship. That's literally the point of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (well, at least the early seasons): to get good at friendship, you make friends and slowly, through experiences, get good at it, you don't just read a book about it and try to apply it in real life to get humiliated. Twilight Sparkle has the advantage that she lives in a magical world of friendly ponies: when she arrives in Ponyville, there's already a bunch of ponies ready to befriend her and they're very tolerant of her ineptitude. In real life? You read about the magic of friendship, go out, approach someone, get called a creep and posted on some subreddit making fun of CRINGE EVIL STINKY NECKBEARDS.

I used to think that therapy would give me a chance to practice friendship, but my own experience was a giant disappointment. Friendship is all about empathy, but for me therapy was indulging in narcissistic analysis detached from the concept of me as a member of the society. How am I supposed to train if I'm denied a chance to? They want us to improve our personality, but I genuinely don't see how we are supposed to do it.

This is so true. I figured out that you need proper social interactions to get better at them a while ago. I used to read many books and online videos about how to be more confident or how to be nicer, but these are traits that you get naturally from social interaction. When you aren't doing it like that and are just "trying" to be nice or "trying" to be more alpha, confident etc really your just putting on a mask, and using the mask so frequently that it overwrites your old personality. It's just mimicking basically.

Be rich

Be successful

Be attractive

Worship the ground women stand on

Be the court jester for women

Funny2

Be rich

Be successful

Be attractive

Worship the ground women stand on

Be the court jester for women

View attachment 381619

Being rich and the like actually does change your personality because it changes your environment and social interactions, the two things that make you who you are.

Being rich and the like actually does change your personality because it changes your environment and social interactions, the two things that make you who you are.
Okay

High IQ post. Many ancient people were wise.
I'm just going to meditation maxxx tbh.

We're all being tricked, all of this shit doesn't matter. People expect you to DEVELOP your personality simply because they DON'T CARE.

It's your social attractiveness (LOOKS + STATUS) that dictates whether this "personality" you have cultivated (virtues, values, morals, whatever else) matters.

Not only that, but the kind of personality that is socially attractive gets cultivated ONLY IN SOCIAL ENVIRONMENTS, you can't learn how to develop one through therapists or nurturing theories by yourself in your room at 3 am. This happens the way of being forged by fire, you simply cannot understand social life without being part of it. You experience it, you make mistakes and you adapt, that's how it generally goes. If you aren't allowed to participate in it in the first place (AKA LOOKS + STATUS are too low, thus making you low value and not worth interacting with), you'll never be able to grow in this regard.

Not only that, but even if you magically manage to be confident, funny, mature and able to relate to other people, those socially attractive traits mean N O T H I N G if you don't have the LOOKS + STATUS to back it up. In this bad scenario, people will always find a way to antagonize every trait you have worked so hard to develop in order to not feel bad about outcasting you ( confident = cocky, arrogant, loud, annoying; funny = cringe, idiotic, clown; mature = dumb, hypocritical, tries to abuse people's weaknesses to get to them, cringe, desperate).

As long as you don't have AT LEAST the looks/status required, you will ALWAYS be the antagonist. Or, at worst, a completely invisible character.

To me, it's pathetic how personality, developing hobbies, traits etc. are preached so much left and right, but the only people who see REAL PROGRESS and REAL RESULTS in their lives are the ones getting either radical physical changes or status boosts (normie bulking up at the gym, guy getting growth spurt in late teens, man saving up for expensive physical operations, guy getting high paying job after working his ass off for 20 years <<who "coincidentally" gets most of the attention from 30+ women>>). You must get what I'm saying.

Look up "ugly ducklings" on whatever site you want, there isn't a SINGLE ONE OF THEM that says their life hasn't really changed, be it male or female. Looks changed, then THEIR WHOLE LIFE DRASTICALLY DID RIGHT AFTER.

Personality exists SOLELY to validate and support the existence of LMS. It's an entirely conceptual thing, there is no such thing as a "personality" in the end (at least in the sense that you're thinking of). Your circumstances dictate it much more than any decision of yours ever could.

@TheNEET tagging you to make sure you see this, you can tell me what you think if you find it wrong/correct or anything.

There is no personality for your face.

We're all being tricked, all of this shit doesn't matter. People expect you to DEVELOP your personality simply because they DON'T CARE.

It's your social attractiveness (LOOKS + STATUS) that dictates whether this "personality" you have cultivated (virtues, values, morals, whatever else) matters.
This. I think, or at least hope that the majority of people here know that no matter how hard we try to create this perfect persona for people, our faces restrict us from doing that completely.

I don’t know what to think.
Looks and status are everything in life, but status can be obtained trough careermaxxing and ( if not a manlet/framelet ) gymmaxxing.

Some incels say that there’s no point in doing anything because you will always be mogged and you’ll never get a girlfriend, so NEETmaxxing is the way.

Some incels say that you should looksmaxx, moneymaxx and socialcirclemaxx as much as you can even if you can’t get a girlfriend and chad gets everything without a tent of the effort because this is the only life you get and you should be focusing on yourself.

I agree that you should try to make the best of your situation even if you can’t have what other people can but it’s so extremely demoralizing to look at it.

“Maybe I can improve my happiness from 2 to 4 but chad has love, acceptance and a 10/10 life, why should I bother” is a common though when I try to get my shot together.

You don't.

p*********y is a fucking myth. It's all about looks.

Cosmetic surgery/fillers/weight loss/gymcelling

Money, surgery, simping, betabuxxing

TL;DR: be good looking and everything figures itself out around you

Personality is an all time high shitty excuse that people use as to why incels are in the predicament there in, even though you obviously can't know somebody very well with a disgusting glance.

There are at least 8 different branches of intelligence.

Your personality is basically your interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligent quotient , 2 of the branches.
You have a genetic potential that you can reach , but it may only be let's say 50% max over your base.
It's a similar concept like your vo2 , but you can only get 20% to25% over your untrained base tho.

How humorous you are also is based on your intelligent genetic potential since an important aspect of humor is perception of the incongruous.