Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

is it possible for certain physical/mental attributes to be enhanced by sound

• Thread starter uglylifematters
  • Start date
uglylifematters

uglylifematters

Ugly
★★★★
take this video for example

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtvnhzMH80k[/video]

can it REALLY increase my reflexes/reaction time if I watch it everyday for a couple of weeks?

probably a dumb question maybe I am too gullible

playing action games long enough may increase related abilities, but Idk about this subliminality things

nausea said:
playing action games long enough may increase related abilities, but Idk about this subliminality things

why action games? because of the fast pace?

uglylifematters said:
why action games? because of the fast pace?

reflexes, fast-responses, etc

so some research claims...

nausea said:
reflexes, fast-responses, etc

so some research claims...

I might have to try playing uncharted more or something along the lines of it. I have absolute shit reflexes I am trying to improve. btw in your opinion would uncharted help with this?

uglylifematters said:
I might have to try playing uncharted more or something along the lines of it. I have absolute shit reflexes I am trying to improve. btw in your opinion would uncharted help with this?

Idk that game but first person shooters may help, but all in all why don't you just go play tennis?

nausea said:
Idk that game but first person shooters may help, but all in all why don't you just go play tennis?

if you have ps4 uncharted is a must have. but tennis irl? or wii tennis?

uglylifematters said:
nausea said:
if you have ps4 uncharted is a must have. but tennis irl? or wii tennis?
I play\ed only pc games

yes irl tennis or pingpong

nausea said:
I play\ed only pc games

yes irl tennis or pingpong

alright bro thanks for the info. I'll take your advice because I need to do something. I could get hit 100 times before I even knew what the hell happened.

uglylifematters said:
alright bro thanks for the info. I'll take your advice because I need to do something. I could get hit 100 times before I even knew what the hell happened.

lol

I am dumb af but couldn't care less

nausea said:
lol

I am dumb af but couldn't care less

maybe you should try some iq increasing sounds lol
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbsycL9buYY[/video]

lol I am under the effects of drugs

nausea said:
lol I am under the effects of drugs

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P7kd5AtZrk[/video]
there are sounds for EVERYTHING except looks lmao but listen to this audio rehab

FPS games really only make you better at having fast reaction to related stimuli. Cognitive science teaches us that it is because our brain stores "postures" that are ingrained into us, and then we progress through the pre-programmed positions faster and faster with rehearsed learning.

Think about it this way - a person who is good at throwing a ball is good because he knows how to position his feet, then how to swing their arm. Try throwing with your weak arm for the first time and it will be terrible, even though your left arm is probably comparably strong to your right. Why? It's because you haven't programmed these positions and the sequence of actions into your brain.

Similarly, being good at FPS games means you will be good at flicking your wrist, pressing a mouse button, and then possibly a series of keyboard button presses in response to a stimulus. However, it's not like you will have better reflexes in terms of catching a baseball, because this requires an entirely different set of "positions" to be recorded. You may have improved your visual acuity to a degree, but even that is subject to environmental cues so it might not help you at all.

Playing tennis/ping pong may make you better at swinging a racket into the appropriate position to respond to the appropriate position of the ball which is detected by your visual acuity, but it will not help you catch that ball until you add those positions into your repertoire.

If you would like to learn more about this, I strongly suggest the following book which I will quote on the matter:

"Routine tasks are often performed in similar but slightly different contexts. We may need to grasp a wide variety of different objects, sometimes closer to us, sometimes a little further away, sometimes when we are sitting, and sometimes when we are standing. These different contexts require slightly different final body postures for perfect performance. When a task is practiced, not one but many different body postures for it are encoded. Subsequently, when the task must be performed in a particular context, all the body postures for it are retrieved and then the one best suited for that context is selected on the basis of visual and/ or tactual information provided by the parietal cortex (Figure 3.5). It is the accumulation of ever more specific body postures that causes task performance to become more accurate. The accumulation of body posture plans also causes the execution to become faster, because the occasions on which either the plan or its execution must be modified on the basis of feedback become rarer. Hence skill learning occurs through the accumulation of posture (or action) plans."

Glass, Arnold Lewis. Cognition: A Neuroscience Approach (Kindle Locations 1903-1911). Cambridge University Press. Kindle Edition.

Some people are also predisposed to have a larger habit system allowing for quicker accumulation of postures, and specific training of the striatum (but not the hippocampus) also makes one adapt to/learn new skills and thus have a better "reaction time" than others.

As far as the benefits of video games, here is are some quotes from a presentation I did on the matter at a conference a few years ago:

"Another study stated that certain games promote cognitive flexibility, which in turn leads to overall psychological well-being. Their findings are at least partially backed up by a study that proved that playing video games led to improvements to executive control, strategic planning, eye movements and visuo-spatial
attention come from the thickening of the cortical layer in the brain, which may be the biological basis for the benefits... "

DsE5ELi.png

DLPFC = “executive control and strategic planning“

FEF = “eye movements and visuo-spatial attention"

"The results may represent the biological basis of previously reported cognitive improvements due to video game play.”
(Kühn S, Lorenz R, Banaschewski T, Barker GJ, Büchel C, Conrod PJ, et al, 2014, p. 1)

blickpall said:
FPS games really only make you better at having fast reaction to related stimuli. Cognitive science teaches us that it is because our brain stores "postures" that are ingrained into us, and then we progress through the pre-programmed positions faster and faster with rehearsed learning.

Think about it this way - a person who is good at throwing a ball is good because he knows how to position his feet, then how to swing their arm. Try throwing with your weak arm for the first time and it will be terrible, even though your left arm is probably comparably strong to your right. Why? It's because you haven't programmed these positions and the sequence of actions into your brain.

Similarly, being good at FPS games means you will be good at flicking your wrist, pressing a mouse button, and then possibly a series of keyboard button presses in response to a stimulus. However, it's not like you will have better reflexes in terms of catching a baseball, because this requires an entirely different set of "positions" to be recorded. You may have improved your visual acuity to a degree, but even that is subject to environmental cues so it might not help you at all.

Playing tennis/ping pong may make you better at swinging a racket into the appropriate position to respond to the appropriate position of the ball which is detected by your visual acuity, but it will not help you catch that ball until you add those positions into your repertoire.

As far as the benefits of video games, here is are some quotes from a presentation I did on the matter at a conference a few years ago:

I may have interpreted that completely wrong, so please correct me if I did. 

the reflexes I am trying to improve on can only be improved if I practice the particular reaction that I want to react faster to? noise will not help?

uglylifematters said:
I may have interpreted that completely wrong, so please correct me if I did. 

the reflexes I am trying to improve on can only be improved if I practice the particular reaction that I want to react faster to? noise will not help?

I know of no precedent for such a thing, and it wouldn't fit what I've been taught/studied. From what I know, you internalized correctly and I've heard of no other way.

blickpall said:
I know of no precedent for such a thing, and it wouldn't fit what I've been taught/studied. From what I know, you internalized correctly and I've heard of no other way.

alright thanks for the information brother

blickpall said:
a presentation I did on the matter at a conference

i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g

I think these subliminals and binaurals are snake oil. Just look at those ridiculously specific purposes. There are different tracks that are supposed to he help you with specific genres of video games, some are supposed to feel like certrain drugs or help you with headaches. How do they even come up with this stuff? There are also a ton of commercially available tracks with ridiculous claims and that's sort of a red flag.

However I do think they can have meditative effects or even provide pleasure. If you listen to static for some time you will have better focus after that. Meditation works and that's scientifically proven.

And for the pleasure part: I tried this several times (got the pirated original track though, don't know if YT's compression fucks it up). I was lying on the bed and it was quite relaxing. Towards the middle I got a tingling sensation. And at the end when the sine wave part starts it got more and more intense. It felt really good. And it sound stupid but when the sensation peaked it almost felt like an actual orgasm. Only not originating from my dick but more like the whole body. Not quite as intense but very close and longer. At little bit like the moment before you ejaculate when jerking off. I can replicate it and sometimes it works better and sometimes not.
It's like when you listen to certain types of music. Like indie rock or whatever. You may like the song but those nice "soft beats" feel like a massage for your brain and that's when you feel pleasure. Only with this it's a little better because they're more build-up.

So in my opinion those things are only decent for meditation and relaxation. And most of it is scam and placebos. But it would be nice if someone has scientific sources on that matter.

one word, OSU

Bernd said:
I think these subliminals and binaurals are snake oil. Just look at those ridiculously specific purposes. There are different tracks that are supposed to he help you with specific genres of video games, some are supposed to feel like certrain drugs or help you with headaches. How do they even come up with this stuff? There are also a ton of commercially available tracks with ridiculous claims and that's sort of a red flag.

However I do think they can have meditative effects or even provide pleasure. If you listen to static for some time you will have better focus after that. Meditation works and that's scientifically proven.

And for the pleasure part: I tried this several times (got the pirated original track though, don't know if YT's compression fucks it up). I was lying on the bed and it was quite relaxing. Towards the middle I got a tingling sensation. And at the end when the sine wave part starts it got more and more intense. It felt really good. And it sound stupid but when the sensation peaked it almost felt like an actual orgasm. Only not originating from my dick but more like the whole body. Not quite as intense but very close and longer. At little bit like the moment before you ejaculate when jerking off. I can replicate it and sometimes it works better and sometimes not.
It's like when you listen to certain types of music. Like indie rock or whatever. You may like the song but those nice "soft beats" feel like a massage for your brain and that's when you feel pleasure. Only with this it's a little better because they're more build-up.

So in my opinion those things are only decent for meditation and relaxation. And most of it is scam and placebos. But it would be nice if someone has scientific sources on that matter.

I also felt something while listening to the video in the first post. wasn't quite like you described, but I felt something. lol I thought it was working that's why I made the post. maybe it is fake though. maybe I was trying so hard to feel something that it made it real in my mind.

uglylifematters said:
maybe I was trying so hard to feel something that it made it real in my mind.

Placebo effect + confirmation bias is a known phenomenon.

blickpall said:
uglylifematters said:
maybe I was trying so hard to feel something that it made it real in my mind.

placebo is one of the critic reasons why many drugs get dismissed indeed

uglylifematters said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P7kd5AtZrk[/video]
there are sounds for EVERYTHING except looks lmao but listen to this audio rehab

There are binaurals for looks.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtFaCeF3x0[/video]
@Akarin

Melinda said:
There are binaurals for looks.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtFaCeF3x0[/video]
@Akarin

thx it worked

uglylifematters said:

https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

what is your score? Test on pc, smartphone is not as reactive

Akarin said:
thx it worked

https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime

what is your score? Test on pc, smartphone is not as reactive

my average was 977ms

PM_ME_STRIPPERS said:
one word, OSU
what does that mean?

uglylifematters said:
my average was 977ms

what does that mean?

Holy shit that's impossible. It's like closing your eyes for one second.

blickpall said:

that probably is what happened but I cant be 100% sure. I'm gonna try listening to some and see what happens. but I have a strong feeling that my curiosity is making me gullible lol

uglylifematters said:
what does that mean?

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjc5FTwjTY[/video]

He is recommending this game, which makes very little sense in this context but I can't blame him because people confuse pattern recognition and habit learning for genuine "reaction time" all the time.

Akarin said:
Holy shit that's impossible. It's like closing your eyes for one second.

tried again but put all my focus into it this time. STILL got an average of 619ms. I didn't think it was possible either until I started playing batman Arkham knight on nightmare difficulty. I was dying over and over again and I didn't know why. then I figured out that my reaction time is the equivalent of a snails.

blickpall said:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjc5FTwjTY[/video]

He is recommending this game, which makes very little sense in this context but I can't blame him because people confuse pattern recognition and habit learning for genuine "reaction time" all the time.

I'm probably still going to try it tbh. I want to beat batman Arkham knight on nightmare difficulty, but I'm never going to do that if I keep raging because I am dying. playing that game makes me feel like and idiot but I don't want to quit because it is fun and I love a challenge.

No you're losing your mind

I'm listening to brown noise (soft static) right now, kind of soothing to the ears. I don't believe any of the bullshit these binaural beats claim, though, unless used for meditative/relaxing effects.