Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Is it possible to burn out on playing video games forever?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7448
  • Start date
Deleted member 7448

Deleted member 7448

Name is Abdu, live in Laos, born on 24.08.1992.
-
I spent 100% of my free time with my laptop in bed.

For the last few years I've been deadly bored with what I do with my laptop though: video games, browsing the internet, watching movies or sitcoms, reading books. Tired of it all.

Video games haven't been interesting to me in quite a while now. For the past year or so, I've been deleting and installing, reinstalling and deleting again many games. A thing they all have in common though is that I lose interest in mere minutes, hours at most, after which I delete the game.

I used to spend so much time gaming, it's the only thing that my brain actually got something resembling pleasure from. And now it's gone. I keep installing games daily and deleting them after minutes, I keep searching for games and looking at various genres, but I get bored too quickly.

Yes bro, almost all my childhood was consumed by video games and now I barely ever play them except for Tetris.

Same thing happened to me. I used to be addicted, but now I watch other people play on twitch. Much more relaxing.

yup, i really lost motivation to play games, i still play GMOD tho...

Video games haven't been interesting to me in quite a while now.

I am in the exact same position. I actually want to start WoW again to get some distraction but I have not buy myself a month yet. Perhaps I will. I have to see. Beside of that, there is something I want to achieve.

I kinda lost interest in big games like RDR or Witcher. Still play retro occasionally.

I only really play MOBAs these days (yes, I know they're normie trash.) Every time I try to play anything else, I get bored after 20 minutes.

I obsessively played video games all throughout my childhood, then for about 5 years no games seemed interesting (PS1 and most of PS2 era). But suddenly I started enjoying them again, but only to mediocre levels. I liked Mario Kart 64, and then the next game I enjoyed was Bioshock.

I remember being all gob smacked by GTA1 back when it was new, and not being impressed at all by GTA3 when it was new. That's how far my interest had fallen.

In my youth I was constantly super-psyched about games, movies, music, etc... but now they are just barely enjoyable enough to pass the time.

I think it's typical to lose one's lust for life as we age. The novelty wears off--maybe that's one good thing about being sexless throughout your youth; in your older age sex will still seem super exciting (well, theoretically).

However there are people who never lose their excitement for video games, such as the happy console gamer on youtube. He's in his 40s and still gets hyped for everything.

Last edited:
Yeah, it just takes time.

Unless you are able to replace it with better copes, I'd say no. There are always new games coming out, and the technology is always improving. Most people just need a break.

They are just one cope among many, I have switched to watching movies now but will switch back to games again in a while to keep it fresh

I don't think so.You may just have become too cynical and incapable of enjoying most games.
I now have an odd taste in jrpgs and It's one of the few genres that still interest me.Most other games seem like cash-grabs.

The solution to burnout is amphetamines. Try to find someone who can hook you up with vyvanse or adderall. It will make playing video games and jerking off feel just as great as it did at the beginning.

Maybe, I certainly enjoy them less than I used to, and now mostly only enjoy strategy or management games of some kind. As opposed to when I was younger and played all sorts of stuff.

I was in the exact same position, and I think the solution is to play games which forces you to get better. For example, I've been playing dark souls recently, and I constantly have to think about what I'm going to do and where I'm going to go and how I'm going to defeat this boss. Remember that the more parameters that are in the game that you can control=The more areas in which you can improve. If you want to play games casually without being forced to get better then its going to bore you at some point, since you are not challenged and the video game is like watching an interactive movie with no workload on your part.

Dark souls is just an example, it could be starcraft 2 (which also has a lot of parameters) or something else. Once you start challenging yourself to do x,y,z it will be more fun as you improve yourself up to that point.And when you do achieve that, it'll be fun once again.

Last edited:
yes, I don't play nearly as many games as I used to and I don't play the games that I do play that much. I seldom enjoy them

I play for lower hours now

I was in the exact same position, and I think the solution is to play games which forces you to get better. For example, I've been playing dark souls recently, and I constantly have to think about what I'm going to do and where I'm going to go and how I'm going to defeat this boss. Remember that the more parameters that are in the game that you can control=The more areas in which you can improve. If you want to play games casually without being forced to get better then its going to bore you at some point, since you are not challenged and the video game is like watching an interactive movie with no workload on your part.

Dark souls is just an example, it could be starcraft 2 (which also has a lot of parameters) or something else. Once you start challenging yourself to do x,y,z it will be more fun as you improve yourself up to that point.And when you do achieve that, it'll be fun once again
Makes you realize why games have those extreme difficulty lvl like 8 NG+ in souls game or I am the Night difficulty in Batman:Arkham Origins and not to mention all the tons of side activities. Those were made for genuine game addicts who are bored with casual playthroughs and are looking for a extreme challenge just in order to be occupied with game for a longer period. I know this from autopsy.

I obsessively played video games all throughout my childhood, then for about 5 years no games seemed interesting (PS1 and most of PS2 era). But suddenly I started enjoying them again, but only to mediocre levels. I liked Mario Kart 64, and then the next game I enjoyed was Bioshock.

I remember being all gob smacked by GTA1 back when it was new, and not being impressed at all by GTA3 when it was new. That's how far my interest had fallen.

In my youth I was constantly super-psyched about games, movies, music, etc... but now they are just barely enjoyable enough to pass the time.

I think it's typical to lose one's lust for life as we age. The novelty wears off--maybe that's one good thing about being sexless throughout your youth; in your older age sex will still seem super exciting (well, theoretically).

However there are people who never lose their excitement for video games, such as the happy console gamer on youtube. He's in his 40s and still gets hyped for everything.
A lot of us grew up and became adults with adult problems and interests. Soy boys are still man child’s that get excited about Marvel, Star Wars, video games, ect. because they never grew out of their childhood.

I’d rather listen to a 3 hour lecture on post modernism than watch any soy Marvel film.

Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart 64.

You can burn out of pretty much anything if you do it over and over again. That's why I take breaks in between my copes.

I am in the exact same position. I actually want to start WoW again to get some distraction but I have not buy myself a month yet. Perhaps I will. I have to see. Beside of that, there is something I want to achieve.
Wait for classic, we can play together then.

Yes man, maybe it's for the better, you can use the time morE pRoductively.

Warframe is only the only game that still entertains me. Other games makes me tired after few minutes.

I don't play video games as much anymore. I mostly read books now. I got burned out of them and I don't like today's gaming culture and the direction of the industry.

Good job, gaming is a massive waste of time. Use that free time to do something meaningful.