Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion ITT: We reflect on the year 2017, and how good/bad it was.

FrothySolutions

FrothySolutions

Post like the FBI is watching.
★★★★★
A continuation of these threads.

This one's a little later than the others because I actually had trouble remembering the world and my life before this forum. I hate these times we live in, but the only things I know of these times are limited to 2018 and later. So, what 2017 better? How about you? Think hard about it. Do you really remember what life was like, yours and in general, in 2017?

Where did you spend your time? Where was your main Internet hangout? Because for most of 2017, this forum didn't exist. But you might've been on r/Incels. I wasn't, but I know a few people here were. A few people here were mods there. There's a lot of talk about the glory days when there was an r/Incels. And if you wanna look at r/Incels, a lot of the content posted there is still up on Imgur.

So was 2017 better? From what I can find, r/Incels was a bit different from Incels.co. Like, in policy. People like to talk about AmericanGal1996 and how she became a mod on r/Incels. People like to talk about her like she was a fluke, and that r/Incels was more or less the same as this forum in demographics. But I think I disagree. Looking back, r/Incels was not that far removed from r/foreveralone. They both were mostly limited to "Women can be incel too, but it's different because the sexual marketplace for heterosexual women is different than it is for heterosexual men." It even says as much in the sidebar.

EDIT: And that's a revised version, later in the subreddit's life. With more specific wording so as to be stricter than the more nebulous and therefore more open original version.

I wasn't on r/Incels so I only have research in hindsight to look at. But what it looks like to me is, women weren't just allowed, but they were fawned over. Moreso than they were on r/foreveralone, I'd even say. In the time I was on r/foreveralone I didn't see any simping like this. One "ASK_ME_IF_I_VAPE" laments the inactivity of randytaylor69, a pretty YouTube singer he likes.

As far as threats to the actual existence of the subreddit, it looks like r/Incels was going along pretty well for a while. The biggest worry was brigading, and whether they were being too nice to women. But then Reddit drafted some new "anti-violence policy." And r/Incels was accused of being in violation of that policy. A fight that Azavii was at the forefront of.

I think it's Azavii that people remember when they think of that "incel purity" past of r/Incels. In the absence of Azavii, r/Incels had entirely different DNA from Incels.co. It was only free to become closer to what Incels.co looks like late in its life, after Azavii was essentially the subreddit's "savior."
So I don't think most of us were on r/Incels either. Most of us would've hated it. I think Incels.co is the way it is, as a direct response to the what r/Incels was. It wasn't a place where one woman got lucky once. It was different enough that the founders here said "Some things are going to have to change. Some kinda of people and content will have to not be allowed."

So if you weren't on r/Incels, what were you doing on the Internet in 2017? What community did you belong to before Dotco? And how did you find out about this forum?

Come to think of it, where exactly did Sarge and Master and everyone else come from to create this place? Who are they? Do they have any history in the community? What were THEY doing on the Internet in 2017?

Last edited:
So was 2017 better? From what I can find, r/Incels was a bit different from Incels.co. Like, in policy. People like to talk about AmericanGal1996 and how she became a mod on r/Incels. People like to talk about her like she was a fluke, and that r/Incels was more or less the same as this forum in demographics. But I think I disagree. Looking back, r/Incels was not that far removed from r/foreveralone. They both were mostly limited to "Women can be incel too, but it's different because the sexual marketplace for heterosexual women is different than it is for heterosexual men." It even says as much in the sidebar.

View attachment 359486

I wasn't on r/Incels so I only have research in hindsight to look at. But what it looks like to me is, women weren't just allowed, but they were fawned over. Moreso than they were on r/foreveralone, I'd even say. In the time I was on r/foreveralone I didn't see any simping like this. One "ASK_ME_IF_I_VAPE" laments the inactivity of randytaylor69, a pretty YouTube singer he likes.

View attachment 359514
One of the more lol worthy things is that some now banned blackpill communities once had female moderators and guys in those communities were completely fine with it tbh

One of the more lol worthy things is that some now banned blackpill communities once had female moderators and guys in those communities were completely fine with it tbh

Where were you hanging out on the Internet in 2017?

Shit, I meant to add a poll to this.

So where was I in 2017? I wasn't on r/Incels. Let's see... It's 2017, Trump was just inaugurated... I'm spending a lot of time on r/DC_Cinematic. We're laughing about how Suicide Squad won an Oscar despite the "Marvel fanboys" hating on it. I'm looking forward to Justice League and Wonder Woman. And I was looking forward to the new season of Stranger Things. Yeah, in 2017 I was big into the "consoomer" thing with movies and streaming. So I guess Reddit was my hangout. Communities about capeshit and other big movies was my hangout.

I also did a lot of arguing with people about North Carolina's "bathroom bill" on YouTube. That was annoying. But I'd say content-wise I remember enjoying YouTube a lot more in 2017 than I did in 2018 and later. Especially around Halloween. 2017 was the year I discovered Sandboxten's stream. I talk a little about it here.

It was a stream for Halloween, it ran nonstop throughout the month, and it was made up of a curated selection of spooky content. You don't see quality streams like that nowadays. I think 2017 was the last year for them. And I think it has to do with stronger copyright enforcement. Or maybe instead of curating a bunch of videos, it's easier to just play Dead By Daylight.

It's probably both, but 2017 brought the game(s) that would change the face of streaming to this day. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds. Which would be forgotten and shamelessly ripped off by the much bigger Fortnite. It wasn't right away, which is probably why in 2017 you could find streams like Sandboxten's stream, but once Fortnite took hold, it really took hold. After Fortnite, if I wanted to search for livestreams on YouTube, every one was just "Waiting For Fortnite Update" or something. So I think I can comfortably say that 2017, before Fortnite took hold, was a... more enjoyable year for YouTube content. Definitely more than it is today. YouTube in 2017 had April the Giraffe. Now that was a hype livestream.

What I'm trying to do here is pinpoint when things started being "bad." Mostly on the Internet/in media. Think about all of the things we hate about these current times. All of what's cucked. When did that start? When was the last time things were good? Most people say it's the mid 2010s. Like around 2014/2015. And I'm inclined to agree.

But I understand this is an oversimplified way to think. Because there are many facets to what's cucked about the now times. And not every facet started at the same time. So logically, there were several "turns" throughout history where big changes happened. And I'm pretty sure 2017 was some kind of turn too. For the Internet. Have a look at this...

"Google — Year in Search 2019." 150 million views within a month.

"Google — Year In Search 2018." 112 million views within a month.

"Google - Year In Search 2017." A paltry 17 million views within a month.

So what happened to the Internet after 2017 that these videos are now getting 7-10 times more views than normal? It's like, there's more people on the Internet. And I wonder if that has to do with how everything I hate about the way things are now seems to have it's roots in 2018 and later? Late 2017 was also the year Twitter allowed people to Tweet with 280 characters. I feel like that had to have increased SJW activism. I feel like that had to have helped contribute to Twitter being like the new Tumblr.

2020 saw the end of Great Pumpkin on broadcast TV. As well as all the other Peanuts specials. 2017 had the Sandboxten stream, 2018 didn't really have any streams but at least that moth meme inspired a lot of "Spooktober" uploads. But by 2020, Halloween was truly dead for me, it seems. Sad shit.

Oh! 2017 had Halloween music on the radio. I think I can say I was happier in 2017. But not happy enough. There was still some SJW annoyance giving me headaches.

Know what was big in 2017 and then never again? Fidget spinners. Remember that?

2017 was garbage. 2016 was garbage. 2015 was garbage. Any date after 9/11/01 was garbage, tbh.

In terms of media, 2017 was also garbage. 2017 incels.me and r/incels was great, though. Was around looking for places to vent after being tired of being a reject and being called ugly by women and I found a place to call home in 2016. Was going great and was a nice place to vent until r/incels got banned. Early days of .me were just as great.

2017 was garbage. 2016 was garbage. 2015 was garbage. Any date after 9/11/01 was garbage, tbh.

In terms of media, 2017 was also garbage. 2017 incels.me and r/incels was great, though. Was around looking for places to vent after being tired of being a reject and being called ugly by women and I found a place to call home in 2016. Was going great and was a nice place to vent until r/incels got banned. Early days of .me were just as great.

You were only happy pre-2001?

Lost my job, health and sanity in 2017. It was the beginning of the end.

Pretty sure I was Warframe Maxxing.

I was happy after that. But in terms of the time itself, every time after 2001 was garbage compared to before then.

Pre-2001 might be the "best" times, but were there times after that that were "good enough?"

See, right now times are not good. These times are unacceptable. But there are times in the past that are good. Some better than others, but they're all within the "good" threshold.

2017 also saw the release of "Despacito," which would be ironically memed. But that was more of a 2018 thing.

2017 was also the year PewDiePie said "nigger" twice and came under fire for possibly being an anti-Semite. Right? That was the year the "Is PewDiePie a Nazi" controversy kicked off?

PewDiePie fans are keen to say that people started hating PewDiePie because of the Nazi rumors. Not true. People have hated PewDiePie for years before 2017. If anything, 2017 was the year people started liking PewDiePie. When they started defending him. When he became an Internet folk hero for standing up against the lamestream media. I hold that this is simply a case of PewDiePie's base growing up and becoming the dominant force on the Internet. That's why he's so beloved now.

It was more of a 2018 thing, but right at the end of 2017 Logan Paul became problematic because of that Suicide Forest video. Before this, PewDiePie and the Paul Brothers were considered of similar cloth. I'm pretty sure "It's Everyday Bro" was about PewDiePie. Also written in 2017. But it was after the Suicide Forest thing that PewDiePie started being seen as more of a distinct animal from the Paul Brothers. When he started becoming that Internet folk hero.

Another tidbit about 2017, this was when that "protecc/attacc" meme took off.

Also, "Steamed Hams" memes. That was more towards the tail end of 2017.

It was more of a 2018 thing, but right at the end of 2017 Logan Paul became problematic because of that Suicide Forest video. Before this, PewDiePie and the Paul Brothers were considered of similar cloth. I'm pretty sure "It's Everyday Bro" was about PewDiePie. Also written in 2017. But it was after the Suicide Forest thing that PewDiePie started being seen as more of a distinct animal from the Paul Brothers. When he started becoming that Internet folk hero.

Another tidbit about 2017, this was when that "protecc/attacc" meme took off.

View attachment 365729

Also, "Steamed Hams" memes. That was more towards the tail end of 2017.

2 internet culture 4 me tbh

2 internet culture 4 me tbh

You don't need to be culture savvy, you probably started seeing this stuff around in 2017 though right?

EDIT:
2017 was also the year that "boneless" meme took off. And probably died within the same year.

I was a bluepilled cuck back then, wasn't a good year for me, definitely not.