Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Let's discuss metaphysical topics

blond_elf_bard

blond_elf_bard

Major
★★
  • Is anything truly possible? Is anything impossible?
  • Can you prove something doesn't exist?
  • What does it mean to exist?
  • If people could read minds, would lying be possible?
Doesn't have to be these, could be anything.

no
no
it means to be present or sensed in some kind of form
no

• Is anything truly possible? Is anything impossible?
  • Can you prove something doesn't exist?
  • What does it mean to exist?
  • If people could read minds, would lying be possible?
1. If something is logically coherent, then it is possible. If something is logically impossible, then it is impossible
2. Logically incoherent things are evidence for something not existing. Like there aren't invisible pink unicorns because it is impossible to be pink and invisible at the same time
3. That's a hard one. Either it can be observed or it has consciousness
4. Depends on if reading minds would happen all the time or not

1. If something is logically coherent, then it is possible. If something is logically impossible, then it is impossible
2. Logically incoherent things are evidence for something not existing. Like there aren't invisible pink unicorns because it is impossible to be pink and invisible at the same time
4. Depends on if reading minds would happen all the time or not

I don't understand please simplify :feelstastyman:

I don't understand please simplify :feelstastyman:
No
2148-94a237c1bf6eb5db36c8b7245ece174b.jpg

Thoughts on farding and shidding?
How do you know you observe reality outside of your skull objectively though?

I'm not well right now, can't answer sorry

I spend a lot of time obsessing over the paradox of materialism vs dualism. Dualism is the idea that your soul or consciousness or whatever is separate from your physical body, and materialism is the idea that it's not (ie you're just a "biological computer").

All empirical evidence that has ever been collected supports materialism. Drugs, brain damage, etc can all influence your intelligence, personality and state of mind so that would seem to peg materialism as being the obviously correct school of thought.

The problem is that under materialism nothing can ever be anything more than the sum total of its components, so there's no explanation for what consciousness is or how it exists. Since everybody is aware of their own consciousness (or at least I am) this must mean that dualism is correct. But then if dualism is correct then there's no explanation why physical changes in your body have such drastic effects on consciousness and state of mind...