Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion The debate on whether water is wet

ThePlagueDoctor

ThePlagueDoctor

:(
★★★★
@based_meme bc u were interested

Before you think “Fucking duh, water is wet.” Think about the definition of the word “wet“.

Wet, when used as an adjective is defined as “covered or saturated with water or another liquid.” How you interpret this WILL change the answer to this question.

Argument for water being not wet : The definition implies that when an object is wet, we can remove the water and therefore remove that status of wet, we cannot remove water from water and have it change states from wet to dry. Thus, water is NOT wet.

Argument for water is wet : Technically speaking, water molecules are surrounded by other water molecules in say, any sample of water. Therefore, it is saturated with water, and water IS wet.

Thoughts?

Water being wet is like females being whores

Don’t need to water is wet nigga stop coping:lul::lul::lul::lul::lul:
How am I coping? I haven’t given my opinion on this, my only hope is to spark discussion. You are impeding this discussion, which is a very bluepilled trait.

Water is wet tbh

How am I coping? I haven’t given my opinion on this, my only hope is to spark discussion. You are impeding this discussion, which is a very bluepilled trait.
Just because i said water is wet i’m hindering a discussion and i have an blue pilled trait:feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman:

Jfl what else is water then?

This is your brain on aspergers and low iq combined

Just because i said water is wet i’m hindering a discussion and i have an blue pilled trait:feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman::feelstastyman:

Jfl what else is water then?
Acknowledge this point : “Argument for water being not wet : The definition implies that when an object is wet, we can remove the water and therefore remove that status of wet, we cannot remove water from water and have it change states from wet to dry. Thus, water is NOT wet.”

accepting something without questioning it first is a bluepilled trait tbh

One thing cannot be two things at the same time

W

H

O

C

A

R

E

S

Acknowledge this point : “Argument for water being not wet : The definition implies that when an object is wet, we can remove the water and therefore remove that status of wet, we cannot remove water from water and have it change states from wet to dry. Thus, water is NOT wet.”

accepting something without questioning it first is a bluepilled trait tbh
http://www.planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/our-world/2012/02/why-is-water-wet.aspx
Water being wet is like fire being hot it’s a description of what it is. JFL Low IQ retard don’t call me blue pilled i’m prob way more black pilled than you faggot :feelstastyman: :feelstastyman:

One thing cannot be two things at the same time
You mean like contradicting traits? It kinda can, let’s say a guy is 6’3, he is tall compared to a normal guy who’s 5’9, but short compared to the Eiffel Tower. It all depends on perspective
W

H

O

C

A

R

E

S
its in offtopic for a reason you monkey
http://www.planet-science.com/categories/under-11s/our-world/2012/02/why-is-water-wet.aspx
Water being wet is like fire being hot it’s a description of what it is. JFL Low IQ retard don’t call me blue pilled i’m prob way more black pilled than you faggot :feelstastyman: :feelstastyman:
How is it low IQ to demand specificity? To dig deeper into things? Is it low IQ to understand why something is true or is it somehow higher IQ to just regurgitate bullshit you don’t?

You’re also pretending like I’m not seeing both sides of the discussion here, you’re pretending like I’m only saying water isn’t wet when my original post acknowledges both. I’d argue that water is wet but I’m acknowledging the other argument because it can help reinforce my own, it’s how we crush bluepillers arguments. It’s how most debates work in fact.

Last edited:

Csm gorilla nach regenschauer 1bb1fa6623

You mean like contradicting traits? It kinda can, let’s say a guy is 6’3, he is tall compared to a normal guy who’s 5’9, but short compared to the Eiffel Tower. It all depends on perspective

How is it low IQ to demand specificity? To dig deeper into things? Is it low IQ to understand why something is true or is it somehow higher IQ to just regurgitate bullshit you don’t?

You’re also pretending like I’m not seeing both sides of the discussion here, you’re pretending like I’m only saying water isn’t wet when my original post acknowledges both. I’d argue that water is wet but I’m acknowledging the other argument because it can help reinforce my own, it’s how we crush bluepillers arguments. It’s how most debates work in fact.
It was Low IQ for you to state that i had a blue pilled trait for saying what i though was the answer.
You asked me what i thought and i answered and you became mad?:feelsseriously:

also nobody gives a shit if water is wet or not:lul::lul::lul::lul:

It was Low IQ for you to state that i had a blue pilled trait for saying what i though was the answer.
You asked me what i thought and i answered and you became mad?:feelsseriously:
Mad bc no supporting reason tbh, don’t really care now bc you at least have a supporting answer

This is a good example of semantics interfering with descriptive language. This was one of the problems Wittgenstein tackled (and I believe solved... don't remember).

Wet is either a property, an effect, or both. We know that water makes (most) things have the effect of wetness. If water is wet, it has the property of wetness as well as the effect of wetness (on other things). If water is not wet, then it only has the effect of wetness.

As strange as this sounds, water may in fact not be wet at all. Colloquially, when we say "wet" we interchange the property of wetness with the effect of wetness and vice versa, and this is encapsulated in the word itself (wet). It seems almost non-sensical to think of some thing not having the property of some other thing, yet has the effect of that thing on other things. I'm not a materials engineer, but there probably is some kind of liquid that has no wetness effect on things.

If that's the case, however, then we have a problem: what does it mean to be wet? If we say that some thing is wet, are we simply saying that it's liquid? Why don't we just say that, then? Does the level of viscosity affect the property of wetness? Do we say that honey is wet? I can't recall anybody ever describing honey as wet.

Philosophy is the intellectualization of stupid things. With philosophy the stupid sometimes becomes interesting, and we may reach some truth we didn't expect.

That's like saying the fire is on fire. Ofc water is not wet but it sounds good as a meme tbh :feelsEhh: :feelsautistic:

What about if you pour oil into water? It is now covered in oil, therefore it has been covered in another liquid. Hence, I suggest an addendum. Water is NOT wet, UNLESS it is covered in oil.

Is dirt dirty?

This is a good example of semantics interfering with descriptive language. This was one of the problems Wittgenstein tackled (and I believe solved... don't remember).

Wet is either a property, an effect, or both. We know that water makes (most) things have the effect of wetness. If water is wet, it has the property of wetness as well as the effect of wetness (on other things). If water is not wet, then it only has the effect of wetness.

As strange as this sounds, water may in fact not be wet at all. Colloquially, when we say "wet" we interchange the property of wetness with the effect of wetness and vice versa, and this is encapsulated in the word itself (wet). It seems almost non-sensical to think of some thing not having the property of some other thing, yet has the effect of that thing on other things. I'm not a materials engineer, but there probably is some kind of liquid that has no wetness effect on things.

If that's the case, however, then we have a problem: what does it mean to be wet? If we say that some thing is wet, are we simply saying that it's liquid? Why don't we just say that, then? Does the level of viscosity affect the property of wetness? Do we say that honey is wet? I can't recall anybody ever describing honey as wet.

Philosophy is the intellectualization of stupid things. With philosophy the stupid sometimes becomes interesting, and we may reach some truth we didn't expect.
Precisely, the semantics of it make for an interesting discussion IMO, it’s the same as the discussion of “If a tree falls and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?” Where the final answer is based on the definition of sound.

Its a dumb discussion that likely won’t interfere with our daily lives but imo it’s certainly more fun to think about than how much life sucks

Last edited:
Deserts exist because there are no Chads near them. Notice how all the Chads in Australia are on the coast and the centre is desert? Even land gets wet for Chad only. This is beyond brutal. Such greed.

Deserts exist because there are no Chads near them. Notice how all the Chads in Australia are on the coast and the centre is desert? Even land gets wet for Chad only. This is beyond brutal. Such greed.
God tier kekfuel ngl :feelskek:

Brutal Australiapill

Water is wet cuz wet is a adjective and water is that adjective

Argument for water being not wet : The definition implies that when an object is wet, we can remove the water and therefore remove that status of wet, we cannot remove water from water and have it change states from wet to dry. Thus, water is NOT wet.
that make no sense. if you cannot remove water from water then it does not become dry, it stays wet. therefore, water is always wet as it cannot be made dry

that make no sense. if you cannot remove water from water then it does not become dry, it stays wet. therefore, water is always wet as it cannot be made dry
That’s the thing, that argument is essentially saying water is neither wet nor dry

That’s the thing, that argument is essentially saying water is neither wet nor dry
it is wet because it causes thing in contact with it to become wet, therefore by extension it is wet

Newton IQ

Can't separate water and wetness, the second argument makes more sense.

Mother Earth when she sees Chads.

Before you think “Fucking duh, water is wet.” Think about the definition of the word “wet“.

Wet, when used as an adjective is defined as “covered or saturated with water or another liquid.” How you interpret this WILL change the answer to this question.

Argument for water is wet : Technically speaking, water molecules are surrounded by other water molecules in say, any sample of water. Therefore, it is saturated with water, and water IS wet.

Thoughts?
high iq

Thoughts?
Gigacope

Thoughts?
Not One Word

Too high IQ for me tbhtbb