Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

The Importance of Fiction

A Good Friend

A Good Friend

True Force Loneliness
Watching "Gandhi" earlier, I was easily taken with his life, his struggle, and the ultimate fruits of his labor; Indian independence from the British.

Always dancing in the back of my mind were the facts I've learned surrounding him and the situation. His young teenage "bedmates," or the fact that India then and now oversees the levels of brutality and human misery that can sadly be expected of such a populous area.

Was this enough to discard the message altogether?

I can't pretend that fiction is not crafted and whittled to inspire and alleviate from what we know is "real." That life is sometimes is painful medical tests, or death of a loved one, loss of a limb or sense, ostracization and lack of companionship through these struggles, all that nasty shit.

So when something, maybe designed to invoke emotion, maybe just to make a shitload of money, comes along and offers me, at the very least, something more pleasant to think on, should I slap it out of hand and say "No, that's not he way it is. Life is brutal and I have to work every day until I'm dead and no one seems to want to fuck me in the interim and... ?"

Or, should I take the gift that's been offered? Should I say "Yes, I know Gandhi was a shitting, fucking, idealist who lived a very human life with all of the faults, but not in this portrayal. Here, he is something else." 

Should I not, when I encounter the real hardships, try to draw strength, or simply ruminate on the heroic?

I think so. It's what I do anyway.

Many would say this was denial or even "bluepill" thinking. And I could see withdrawing and living in your fantasies as being exactly that. But a living person never truly withdraws. Even in your NEET cocoon or in your quiet antisocial academic life, you come up against the real struggles; The pain of existence, and the boredom when not in pain. So does it really help to constantly reinforce all of the negative things you know about life and the tragedies of others, or could it be more helpful to draw inspiration from heroes that never existed, at least not in the form presented to you; Heroes that never could exist?

You don't have to believe it's real, but if it's my life, and I have some minuscule measure of control, I think I would rather use even a fantastic template to guide me, rather than the rehashed drudgery of what I already know all too well.

well

what to say?

powerful post

I knew you were hiding something since our first conversation, not surprised

nausea said:
well
what to say?
powerful post

Thanks.

It's not exactly a new idea, I know, but I was really hating myself for seeing something that could provide me with inspiration to at least help myself, and tearing that thing down with useless knowledge that doesn't help me get anywhere

A Good Friend said:
nausea said:
well
what to say?
powerful post
Thanks.
It's not exactly a new idea, I know, but I was really hating myself for seeing something that could provide me with inspiration to at least help myself, and tearing that thing down with useless knowledge that doesn't help me get anywhere
I agree with you to some extent but my life experience doesn't allow me to escape anywhere

also let's this thread grow, subscribed

A Good Friend said:
The pain of existence, and the boredom when not in pain.

@nausea

>The pain of existence, and the boredom when not in pain.

You should check out some of Schopenhauer's writings on the pain of existence. That's where that idea is really fleshed out and explored. There's some good YouTube clips of his main ideas.

When shit is out of your control escapism is the only way.

JovanD said:
When shit is out of your control escapism is the only way.

pretty much, but maybe there's a nugget of help in escapist media, maybe something I can apply to the real world to make it a tiny bit more bearable

A Good Friend said:
@nausea
>The pain of existence, and the boredom when not in pain.
You should check out some of Schopenhauer's writings on the pain of existence. That's where that idea is really fleshed out and explored. There's some good YouTube clips of his main ideas.
yep I know, I am into cioran, celine and kafka the most

https://incels.is/Thread-authors-for-incels

OP I am trying to find a video related to India, I will post here if I can find where the fuck it is

the problem is when you lose the ability to escape. That's what I'm going through now and a big part of the reason I joined r/incels in the first place.

fukmylyf said:
the problem is when you lose the ability to escape. That's what I'm going through now
that's why I relate to ragecels the most

ok found the video but it's in italian FUCK

Fiction is very important for young developing minds.

Gandhi was an ethno-nationalist and hated Blacks. Way to the right of Trump.

idkwattodowithlife said:
stop being an idiota

You just brought me to Assassin's Creed 2 with that sentence.

nausea said:
good move but boring game after 10 hours

Good move? Movie, you mean? The Assassin's Creed movie was terrible.

Kointo said:
idkwattodowithlife said:
stop being an idiota
You just brought me to Assassin's Creed 2 with that sentence.
You just brought me the second remake of Final Fantasy 7 with that sentence.

nausea said:
nah the game

Well, most things get boring after 10 hours. It's subjective anyway.

Tuttle said:

That's my entire point, is that you have to divorce the truth to appreciate the heroics.

Maybe we're served better personally by choosing to buy bullshit sometimes, so we're not second-guessing ourselves into hikki nothingness.

Tuttle said:
Gandhi was an ethno-nationalist and hated Blacks.  Way to the right of Trump.

I had no idea...

Kointo said:
Tuttle said:
I had no idea...

He used to bang young girls too. But back then in India, that was just like the thing to do. Probably still is.

(@Akarin buying tickets to India as we speak)

Don't forget to get a plague vaccination!

A Good Friend said:
He used to bang young girls too. But back then in India, that was just like the thing to do. Probably still is.

(@Akarin buying tickets to India as we speak)

Don't forget to get a plague vaccination!

Didn't Martin Luther King Jr. say some regrettable things also?

Kointo said:
Didn't Martin Luther King Jr. say some regrettable things also?

Aside from plagiarizing parts of his doctoral thesis, he was banging hookers, sometimes underage. But again, kind of taken for granted for a man of power in the south at the time.

Speaking of fiction, has anyone watched or read Lord of the Rings?

Kointo said:
Speaking of fiction, has anyone watched or read Lord of the Rings?
I liked only the 1st movie, I hate tolkien stuff anyway

nausea said:
I liked only the 1st movie, I hate tolkien stuff anyway

Why do you hate it?

nausea said:
list or example? choose

Example

Also here:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpwVPSiGI6g[/video]

nausea said:
stormbringer

attachment.php