Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

LifeFuel The Joker movie changed my life (in a good way)

No1stupid

No1stupid

sleep-deprived insomniacel
-
This film is unironically inspirational, and not necessarily in the sense that it gave us a revenge fantasy. One of the most important takeaways from the film to me was when he
killed his mother.

I know it might seem like an insignificant plot detail to some, and a natural reaction to finding out that his mother lied to him for all those years. But the killing of his mother also signified something else—a complete exorcism of social obligation.

Most of us would have serious reservations about killing our own mothers (even an adopted mother), not only because she is enshrined in our eyes as an important figure who raised and nurtured us into adulthood, but because of the societal expectation that mothers are to be respected and loved; regardless of their actions.

Arthur’s decision to kill her serves two purposes—to eliminate any further obligation to take care of her, and also to commit an act that would be considered unspeakable by “polite” society. It is a betrayal of the notion that a mother is to be cared for and respected, and in that moment, she is freed from her role as “mother”, just as Arthur is freed from his role as “son”. Their relationship is now “victim” and “killer”, and Arthur is now free to explore his depravity to its fullest, unmoored by the expectations that had been set by society and himself.

As someone who feels obligated to please his mother, father, and extended family, this revelation meant a lot to me on a personal level. Having their blood and genetics does not make me bound to them.

I almost cried in the theater after thinking about it, but I was with my trucel friend, and I didn’t want to get emotional in front of him.