Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Tips for writing a book?

gigacel123

gigacel123

r/IncelTears: A Bunch of Pedophiles
★★★★★
I want to write a book and publish it eventually but Im low IQ. Fiction book mainly. Any pointers? :feelsautistic:

What kind of book? Can you go a bit into details?

how about writing something down ? thats a good first start xD

just write whatever is in your mind and try to choose the best one

Some good pointers here.

Richard Ford

Marry somebody you love and who thinks you being a writer's a good idea.

2 Don't have children.

3 Don't read your reviews.

4 Don't write reviews. (Your judgment's always tainted.)

5 Don't have arguments with your wife in the morning, or late at night.

6 Don't drink and write at the same time.

7 Don't write letters to the editor. (No one cares.)

8 Don't wish ill on your colleagues.

9 Try to think of others' good luck as encouragement to yourself.

10 Don't take any shit if you can possibly help it.

Marry somebody you love and who thinks you being a writer's a good idea.
Lost me on the 1st one chief. Where do you think we are?

Mods. It's an ITcel.

Book about what?

Nvm this was a dumb thread. I dont want ITcels finding out who I am if I disclose my story ideas and eventually publish it. God knows how rabid and hellbent they are on ruining our lives.

Anyways I still would like to hear any general advice on character creation and plot drafting.

I might be able to help. Whenever i want to write a story, i always start with 3 things: a list of characters, a plot summary (somewhere around 5k-10k words), and a list of locations in the story. I always know the ending before i even start writing. You need to know what you are writing towards, after all. Then i just follow the summary which i have opened in one document and then write in another document i have open. Story elements and characters change as you write, so im sure to include those in the document where im writing the story. There are 2 approaches i can think of. There is one where you outline like i do, and i think the other is called discovery. Basically that means to just write. You dont have a 20,000 word summary to work from. I have had mixed results with that kind of writing and find it directionless so i stick to some sort of outline. Dont get caught up with making prose and dialogue perfect because it never will be. I have spent hours rewriting sentences just because i didnt like them. Dont do that.
I admit i am bad at character creation. I think that a good indicator that your character is sufficiently deep and well written (round vs flat) is that you can come to a hurdle in your story and ask yourself “what would x character do in this situation?” And your answer will be something that fits the story and makes sense for the character. For example, if you write a character who is slow to trust people, it would make no sense for him to approach a setting in an office where he introduces himself to everyone. In that sense, the characters qualities and traits have in a way directed the story. Whereas if your character is poorly written, this is much harder to do. Another thing about characters is that if you can remove a character and the plot doesnt change, then the character is poorly written, but i think that is only the case with character driven stories. Flat characters are allowed to be boring and one dimensional. The bartender in chapter 1 does not need to tell people about that time her dog ran away and how it eats her up and how sad she is seeing grown men piss their money away with drinks. One time i wrote a fantasy short story and i found that i was mixing up the characters a lot. This was because they were poorly written and surface level. So if your characters are easily distinguishable then that is a good sign
@gigacel123