What about this upvote system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
overlystinkypants

overlystinkypants

Banned
-
It's just for posts but better this than nothing.

https://mods.mybb.com/view/thumbs-post-rating
https://community.mybb.com/thread-84250.html

It's old though therefore probably not compatible. I found a thread where people managed to make it work on newer versions but I don't know PHP yet so you'd have to do it yourselves.

https://community.mybb.com/thread-84250-page-13.html 

blickpall

blickpall

O T L
-
I'm firmly against upvoting. It's been discussed numerous times.

Akarin

Akarin

lolicel
-
leave the most cancerous site in the internet and then implement the most cancerous feature from there, great idea

idkwattodowithlife

idkwattodowithlife

Overlord
-
I don't want to get negged into oblivion lol.

If it happens, I don't mind tbh.

overlystinkypants

overlystinkypants

Banned
-
leave the most cancerous site in the internet and then implement the most cancerous feature from there, great idea

that cancerous feature made us grow strong and created hundreds of memes

upvotes = life

SergeantIncel

SergeantIncel

Admincel
-
upvotes = life
My view is that upvotes sent serious conversations to oblivion, and pushed circlejerk to the front page back on reddit.
It's alright if you disagree, but I'm firmly against them, at least for the time being.

VLÖ

VLÖ

друг
-
Didn't the poll show a majority of members for it?

Are we just going to override the popular opinion because some mods are against it?

SergeantIncel

SergeantIncel

Admincel
-
Are we just going to override the popular opinion because some mods are against it?
The poll was to see how the general public felt, but I am not going to push a feature I feel will harm the community in the long run.

Votes push low effort to the front page and good content to the abyss, and that is not what I want for this forum.

blickpall

blickpall

O T L
-

If it was a 90/10 split then I think it would be one thing to talk about a majority, but I don't recall the numbers being anywhere near that. In fact, if you can find this poll, I'd like to take a look at it. I remember a poll a long time ago which I think was either in favor of no upvote system or was close to 50/50, I don't remember one where a clear majority voted for it.

Say that we implement it because 60% of people want it. How many of the 40% will eventually leave because it changes the face and content of the site? I think a far greater number is at risk of leaving because of the introduction of something new, than there will be % of the 60% that refuse to STAY here because we didn't implement said change.

Personally I want what's best for the community as a whole, and I don't think upvotes are. I've explained my reasoning multiple times but one of the only counter-arguments I've seen are that it will somehow promote memes (we have a memes section now, nothing is getting pushed down, so where is the activity/issue there?). However, this measure will push down long quality posts in favor of brief shitposts that repeat the same homogeneous idea over and over again. Upvotes could also be used to isolate and diminish ideas that aren't as popular, making this effectively an echo chamber. I know that's what some people on here want, but that's not something I personally am in support of.

Bushladen008

Bushladen008

Cucktears Agent
-
My view is that upvotes sent serious conversations to oblivion, and pushed circlejerk to the front page back on reddit.
It's alright if you disagree, but I'm firmly against them, at least for the time being.
What about likes, people can like a post. It gives the validation to fellow incels without people getting downvoted.

Something like that:

overlystinkypants

overlystinkypants

Banned
-
What about likes, people can like a post. It gives the validation to fellow incels without people getting downvoted.

Something like that:

well that's pretty much this plugin is  :skeptical:

Sans

Sans

I’m not a misogynist, I’m just foid critical
-
No. No vote system. This isn’t Reddit.

Status
Not open for further replies.