Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment When did the internet start to resemble its present state?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27204
  • Start date

When did the internet become like it is today?

• 2014 Gamergate Controversy

• In the year 2015 leading up to and after the 2016 Election

• When emojis were introduced & people started using their mobile phone more than PC to go online

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 27204

Self-banned
-
Even looking at videos from 2012 or 2013 show that most comments were more left-libertarian or libertarian in nature, people were able to distinguish trolling from serious conversations (now what is typed on the internet is unironically considered to be tied to real life by a sizable portion), emoticons (precursors to emojis) were not used as excessively, popular youtube videos didn't have as many bait-like titles and thumbnails, and memes were in what is now considered the boomer meme format.

All of these things, especially the predominance of left-libertarian and libertarian politics, was a feature of the early Internet but now is looked upon as fringe by most people using the internet today just like it always was IRL.

While changing political opinions could be responsible for some of this, it could also be taken as a bellwether for when normies started to participate more heavily on online discussions and the general sentiment shifted toward what is expressed IRL.
Many people notice this even for social media sites like reddit where post 2016 it has become more neoliberal dominated. Neoliberal opinions and shows of strength are much more popular IRL than live and let live libertarianism, lending more evidence that the internet has become more widely used by normies recently.

So when do you think things changed so that the internet became much more likely to be used by many more people and resembles what is seen today?

Possible times where this transition started seem to be around when Gamergate was occurring in 2014 (attracted more conservative/rightwing opinions into the fray and meme culture as a whole) and the year leading up to and after the 2016 US presidential election (same thing but with a commensurate rise in neoliberal ideology expressed online too), but could even be when emojis on smartphones became mainstream and more heavily used (starting around mid 2017) and normies felt more compelled to post (brutal emojipill).

Which time do you think best marks when this transition was beginning?

It took the turn when it became available on phones tbh. To me the last real modern “internet” was before 2010. Even toward the end of the 00s it became a place for mass media marketing. It is now beyond what you would call accessible to the average person, it is now necessary. I still remember how spaceage it felt to me way back around 2004/5. The new features, games, chatrooms, the blog websites, and truly lots of raw information being available and being shared. Back then people said dont trust what you see on the internet now it is flipped entirely. Looking back it was far more genuine then it is now.

It's always been like this if you were going to the right forums. When has it been any different?

It took the turn when it became available on phones tbh. To me the last real modern “internet” was before 2010. Even toward the end of the 00s it became a place for mass media marketing. It is now beyond what you would call accessible to the average person, it is now necessary.

This was predicted for sometime, that the internet would become an inescapable part of people's lives and where they carry out transactions and watch mass media, but it still wasn't at that stage in 2012 or 2013. The mass adoption happened reall fast and I think it was also due to the availability of phones and increasing ability to commuicate in NT ways like with emojis from 2017 onward.

I still remember how spaceage it felt to me way back around 2004/5. The new features, games, chatrooms, the blog websites, and truly lots of raw information being available and being shared. Back then people said dont trust what you see on the internet now it is flipped entirely. Looking back it was far more genuine then it is now.

Normies don't take their own advice. They for the longest time looked down on forums where you post things online, but yet when social media became mainstream they started ostracizing people IRL who didn't post on social media.

Normies don't take their own advice. They for the longest time looked down on forums where you post things online, but yet when social media became mainstream they started ostracizing people IRL who didn't post on social media.
Reddit has to be the biggest example of a liar cesspool. Yet millions of people flock to it for their groupthink. And now you can see who uses it out in the real world. This political rhetoric that now seems to run the internet only came after the first obama election in 08 imo. By 2012 you had facebook and twitter which laid the foundation for what we see today.

Reddit has to be the biggest example of a liar cesspool. Yet millions of people flock to it for their groupthink. And now you can see who uses it out in the real world. This political rhetoric that now seems to run the internet only came after the first obama election in 08 imo. By 2012 you had facebook and twitter which laid the foundation for what we see today.

Agree that there were signs of it starting in 2008-2012 but I definitely don't remember it being widespread like today.

And so much for normies initially saying "facebook and twitter are the new myspace" because those platforms have persisted beyond their expected shelf life.

When watching the 2016 US debates it was uncanny to see how many people were asking questions to the candidates through facebook with their real photo and real name.

Agree that there were signs of it starting in 2008-2012 but I definitely don't remember it being widespread like today.

And so much for normies initially saying "facebook and twitter are the new myspace" because those platforms have persisted beyond their expected shelf life.

When watching the 2016 US debates it was uncanny to see how many people were asking questions to the candidates through facebook with their real photo and real name.
I enjoyed myspace because you had to have a genuine purpose and discussion on there to be liked. Now every person is posting some variation of the newest bullshit the news has been feeding them. Your average landwhale alcoholic stuffing her piehole has as much presence online as anyone else.
I remember when creating your own website was encouraged and so much different creative content existed. That has all been burried by corporations that paid to make the online algorithms work for their money and politics. Its no longer a world wide web.

2008 was a turning point in many ways. First Obama election. The financial crises which lead to angry disgruntled mobs. The sudden spike of SJW/lgbt/feminist agenda orchestrated by Obama and his banker cronies to distract the rebelling people. The first ultra normie MCU movie. Rise of mobile intenet access. Rise of reactionary altright

2008 was a turning point in many ways. First Obama election. The financial crises which lead to angry disgruntled mobs. The sudden spike of SJW/lgbt/feminist agenda orchestrated by Obama and his banker cronies to distract the rebelling people. The first ultra normie MCU movie. Rise of mobile intenet access. Rise of reactionary altright

That's why I remember 2007 as the last year when things were kind of normal and like in decades past.

By 2012 things were already screwed up but now things have settled into an even newer kind of weird state.

SJW/lgbt/feminist agenda and cancel culture do seem to coincide with the rise of Obama and I notice that no matter what kind of statements he makes those people never go after him and instead prefer to mock and demonize the average person that gets out of line.

Mobile internet access has had to be one of the major factors implicated in the internet becoming like it is today. Emojis that make you seem more expressive and NT and the ability to tie part of your status to instagram and twitter followers seems to have been instrumental in attracting more normies to the internet and that wouldn't have happened as readily without the rise of mobile internet access.

Btw the reactionary altright is kind of dead compared to even 2017, and like with the redpill I think the blackpill actually replaced most of their clout and appeal to socially awkward sub 8 males.

Internet should only be used for studying and reading or playing games/music. I fucking hate all this reddit, Instagram, tinder bullshit