Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Who played Joker the best? Heath Ledger's or Joaquin Rafael Phoenix's oscar winning performances.

Tough choice, who is your favourite Joker?

• The Dark Knight's Heath Ledger- posthumous best supporting actor Oscar

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Joaquin Rafael Phoenix - best actor Oscar

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
Joker_Heist

Joker_Heist

Banned
-
What up incels? Alright let's do this!

The character of Joker gets a lot of bad press for being some kind of shooter idol. It's after that James Holmes theater shooter incident in Aurora, state of Colorado 2012. Even though Joker wasn't even the villain in the batman movie of that year.

For me, since age 10, Joker is a complex multifaceted character full of nuances, idiosyncrasies able to manipulate others through humor and doubt. Heath Ledger's interpretation of Joker remains my favorite. Since he retains the hyper-normalized clown "warpaint" and costume in the excellent Dark Knight bank heist intro. Ledger perfectly sets up the Joker's motivations and deadly ability to play with fools identifying as part of the clown's gang.

I don't see any link as to why the media has painted a persecutor mastermind criminal, is now somehow a downtrodden, loveless loner idol for incels. It's a bastardized link between good movie fiction and scaremongering idolization. The finger seemed squarely pointed at Joaquin Rafael Phoenix's 2019 Joker
The Blu-Ray extras on The Dark Knight and Joker said each Director gave their Joker actor's freedom as method actors for creative input. So the look,character motivations, costume and outcome was less Chris Nolan and Todd Phillips and more Ledger or Phoenix. What you see is each actor being the Joker, if that makes sense.

My personal opinion on the two Jokers, first the common misconceptions while comparing. Ledger's Joker did everything that would, dare I say, be absorbed and paid tribute to by Phoenix. The facepaint, the backcombed hair, the custom tailored suit, color scheme and realistic origin. Joker 2019 had a leaked rumor that Phoenix wasn't even the Joker at all. This was some script for a completely unrelated movie shoehorned into an alternate batman timeline.

This is genius as you'll notice even in The Dark Knight Ledger's "want to know how I got these scars?" is actually a take on how he turned into the Joker. The background story changes every time he asks a victim prior to killing or maiming them under fear and interrogation. Only batman calls bullshit with the brilliant comeback "No. But I know how you got these" before firing wrist spikes into Joker's face. Blood and detail cut due to the film already sailing close to an " R" rating.
Did you know that Todd Phillips wanted to make Joker 2019 an obese fat guy? Which is why you see the stocky clown mask guy, uh spoiler button?
be the one who kills Bruce Wayne's parents at the movie theater. Despite batman canon saying the incident took place at an opera theater. That in itself is a nuance of symbolism placing doubt in the audience and asking the question. Who is the real Joker and could anyone be the Joker? It's all open ended.
Again though, this was covered in The Dark Knight that Joker could corrupt and manipulate any of us into wearing a clown mask and acting as his one of his cronies. But, spoiler
Ledger's Joker was more of a clown like zeitgeist cult. Even he wasn't in control he "just do's things". Which is why no-one identified him as the ring leader in the bank heist.

My favorite goes to Ledger, but Phoenix is a close second. That said who is yours?

Last edited:
Didn't read

I voted randomly though. :feelsokman:

Last edited:
Heath.

Though his movie (The Dark Knight) sucked.

Joaquin Phoenix’s portrayal was also epic though I’m ngl.

That's cool man.

The Dark Knight was good until they made the second-half too long by adding, heh spoiler
a very late introduction of Harvey Dent shoehorning his villain of two-faced with his character arc. I heard Nolan wanted to save this for a 3rd movie but he felt that villain was too weak to carry his own film. So tacked it on the end of The Dark Knight

It's an old movie so I don't think anyone 4 years younger than me will check it out anyway.

That girl playing "Rachel" looks really terrified, real fear compared to the Maggie Gyllenhaal scene linked. :ha..feels:
The clumsy fat guy is slapping and yanking her too hard.

Last edited:
@Chris_Jones

Great analysis and behind the scenes information. As you can tell by my avi, my vote goes to Heath Ledger. But Phoenix's performance was admirable and was a unique take on the character.

I don't see any link as to why the media has painted a persecutor mastermind criminal, is now somehow a downtrodden, loveless loner idol for incels.
Heath Ledger's Joker is the exact opposite of an incel. Not even Joker makeup can hide Heath's Chad face, frame and height. Heath's Joker would just take what he wants without a second thought. More realistically, he's transcended his sexual desires and worships chaos. Phoenix's Joker may have played an incel character, but the actor is way too tall and handsome to pass as a real incel.
This is genius as you'll notice even in The Dark Knight Ledger's "want to know how I got these scars?" is actually a take on how he turned into the Joker. The background story changes every time he asks a victim prior to killing or maiming them under fear and interrogation. Only batman calls bullshit with the brilliant comeback "No. But I know how you got these" before firing wrist spikes into Joker's face. Blood and detail cut due to the film already sailing close to an " R" rating.
It's heavily implied that Heath's Joker was a former soldier. His expertise with military grade weapons, his guerilla war tactics, his ability to blend into a military parade despite the obvious scars on his face. Most importantly, his expertise in manipulating and torturing people. He could've easily been an interrogator of POW's, using several tactics to disorient his victims and get them to break

Here, the Batman is supposed to be interrogating the Joker, but it quickly turns into the Joker interrogating Batman and causing him to snap. This is my favorite scene in the entire movie, as it completely explains the philosophical and moral debate that the Batman and Joker personify. This is why these characters are loved more than generic superheroes like Superman. As Bruce Wayne says in Batman Begins, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting."

zz40kl9p9p801.jpg

Another example of the Joker's brilliance is that he used Batman's rage to "get" a weapon to escape. This is analogous to a prisoner starting a fight or riot and escaping during the ensuing chaos. It's possible the Joker was a POW himself, having escaped his captors but suffering severe PTSD and amnesia as a result. His fingerprints and dental imprint have been altered and he has no identity. Either he was "eliminated" by his superiors, or he was a deep undercover agent. The Joker has no real identity. He is more of an "idea" than a human being. This gives him the freedom to create his own backstory (Mark Hamill's Joker once said that if he could, he'd make his past "multiple choice").

Here, Joker tells Harvey Dent that if he told the press that a truckload of soldiers were blown up, nobody would panic, as it's all part of the plan. But then he highlights how everyone rushes to defend the very politicians that are responsible for the soldiers dying in the first place.

Yet another small detail of the Joker's brilliance and military background.

3y68trzv8z6z.jpg

That girl playing "Rachel" looks really terrified, real fear compared to the Maggie Gyllenhaal scene linked. :ha..feels:

PreciousConcreteAnophelesmosquito-max-1mb.gif

Her fear is completely real. To make the scene more realistic, this is the first time any of the actors had even seen Heath Ledger in his Joker makeup. Michael Caine (Alfred) originally had a line when the Joker entered, but he was so freaked out that he forgot his lines, and they kept it in the film.

The Dark Knight was good until they made the second-half too long by adding a very late introduction of Harvey Dent shoehorning his villain of two-faced with his character arc. I heard Nolan wanted to save this for a 3rd movie but he felt that villain was too weak to carry his own film. So tacked it on the end of The Dark Knight
It's also due to Heath Ledger dying prematurely. The third film was supposed to have the Joker's trial. True to the comics, this is when the Joker would throw acid on Harvey Dent.

Also, Chris Nolan left the Joker out of the Dark Knight Rises out of respect (and it wasn't practical). That being said, there's many theories that if the Joker had been in the movie, he would've initially enjoyed Bane's reign of chaos. Eventually, he'd catch onto the fact that Bane is a pawn and that there's a larger motive at play. Not liking authority figures, the Joker would find Batman and they'd form a temporary alliance to take down Bane, as they could not do it by themselves.

The clumsy fat guy is slapping and yanking her too hard.
I'm da Jokah baby! Shoutout to @tehgymcel420
4159.jpg

@Chris_Jones
Luv u boyo :feelsokman:

Last edited:
Heath. Hands down, come on.

They played two completely different types of characters. Ledger played an insane criminal mastermind, and Phoenix played Travis Bickle in clown paint.

That would have been cool, Batman teamed up with Selina Kyle instead.
Fuck Anne Hathaway, she isn't even attractive. Did a decent job playing Catwoman though.

Never watched

its a tie between cesar romero and jack nicholson.