Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Beau is Afraid is a pretty good incel movie

Mayocel

Mayocel

Apostle of the Grey Pill
★★
So I was in a screening of another Ari Aster movie Midsommar (which is also pretty great), and I started to think about his newest movie, Beau is Afraid.
Coming On My Way GIF by Regal

Ari Aster said that with the movie, he "[wanted] to put [the audience] in the experience of being a loser."

The titular protagonist is a virgin not by his own design and basically a hikkineet, and as such, qualifies as an incel.

The movie is his journey to his dead mother's funeral, which is filled with amusing hijinks.

One of the core themes of the movie is the tight grip his single mother had over him his whole life, causing him to be unable to face the world and forge his own connections. One of her actions being directly cockblocking him in his childhood.

I've seen similiar experiences shared by several users of this forum, so it is fair to say that art imitates life. Overbearing parents and a hostile world creating a permanent sense of anxiety.

There are also sequences in the movie of what might have been, and various instances of Beau getting gaslit by everyone in his surroundings.

I guess due to that, despite an impressive runtime, Beau is Afraid is a movie that flew by in an instant.

So I was in a screening of another Ari Aster movie Midsommar (which is also pretty great), and I started to think about his newest movie, Beau is Afraid.
Coming On My Way GIF by Regal

The titular protagonist is a virgin not by his own design and basically a hikkineet, and as such, qualifies as an incel.

The movie is his journey to his dead mother's funeral, which is filled with amusing hijinks.

One of the core themes of the movie is the tight grip his single mother had over him his whole life, causing him to be unable to face the world and forge his own connections. One of her actions being directly cockblocking him in his childhood.

I've seen similiar experiences shared by several users of this forum, so it is fair to say that art imitates life. Overbearing parents and a hostile world creating a permanent sense of anxiety.

There are also sequences in the movie of what might have been, and various instances of Beau getting gaslit by everyone in his surroundings.

I guess due to that, despite an impressive runtime, Beau is Afraid is a movie that flew by in an instant.
Thanks for the recommendation

Literally just gaspatcho :worryfeels::shock:

Gaspatcho is I

Best & most funny movie I saw in a while ngl, Joaquin is good in these roles.

Best & most funny movie I saw in a while ngl, Joaquin is good in these roles.
Tbh I've never seen him do bad in a movie. He singlehandedly carried Joker, if not for him, it would have been a mediocre callback to Taxi Driver.

Tbh I've never seen him do bad in a movie. He singlehandedly carried Joker, if not for him, it would have been a mediocre callback to Taxi Driver.
Agreed, he is actually somewhat believable unlike many actors. He was also good in The Master.