Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

How do you stop Google searches from autofilling in the address bar in Chrome?

Ryo_Hazuki

Ryo_Hazuki

Mythic
★★★
It only started doing this recently and it's really annoying because I'm used to just typing the first letter of a site, pressing down, and hitting enter. Now that every google search automatically autofills in the address bar (seemingly getting priority over actual URLs) I have to type most of the URL. Is there any way to change this?

Don't use goygle chrome, use firefox + duckduckgo. I think you can change those settings there
Stop being a good goy

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/14/f...arch-words-over-visited-sites-in-address-bar/

The prioritization change of search suggestions in Google Chrome seems to be linked to a new experimental flag in Google Chrome. If you disable the feature in Chrome -- it is enabled by default -- you will notice that Chrome returns to the previous search behavior.

Here is how that is done:

1. Load chrome://flags/#omnibox-drive-suggestions in the Chrome address bar.

2. Change the experimental flag to disabled by activating the menu next to the preference and selecting "Disabled" from the options.

3. Restart the Chrome browser.

The description suggests that it adds Google Drive search options to Chrome's address bar if Google Search is the default provider and if you are signed in to a Google account. Why that is affecting the priority of results is unclear.

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back