Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment How often do you eat junk food?

How often do you eat junk food?

• 3 meals per day

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • 2 meals per day

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • 1 meal per day

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Every other day

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Every few days

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Once per week

• Once per month

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Never

• Total voters
ColdLightOfDay

ColdLightOfDay

Serge’s alt.
★★★★★
My depression improved massively when I altered my diet for the better. I want to know to what extent junk food is a staple of your diet.

Once per month and sometimes twice , but i pig out. Junk food is love, can't live without it even if it's for once a month.

Its everyday bro.

Everyday. Eating is a huge cope for me. Nothing else in my life gets me the satisfaction of eating a huge meal then laying down and taking a nap. Add to that, that I am super lazy and can't even cook so it is easy to see why junk food is eaten everyday as it is readily available and sometimes you only need to add water.

i'm a skeletoncel bro
Ritalin May play a role in that my friend? Can it not energise you and improve your metabolism?
Everyday. Eating is a huge cope for me. Nothing else in my life gets me the satisfaction of eating a huge meal then laying down and taking a nap. Add to that, that I am super lazy and can't even cook so it is easy to see why junk food is eaten everyday as it is readily available and sometimes you only need to add water.
Are you a healthy weight?

I used to eat a lot of junk food each day. I’m cutting back since I’m trying really hard to lose weight.

once per week since im trying to stick to a low calorie diet.

I never eat junk food

diet curing depression? sorry I find that hard to believe.

I eat junk food everyday, still on the more skinny side.

Almost never. If I'm choosing for myself, I never get anything with added sugar, cheap seed oils, or really any prepared food at all. It's possible to get backed into a corner if you go to an event or something, but at that frequency it doesn't matter. It's hard to avoid if you go somewhere with a foid, too ("body image issues due to unrealistic media standards??????" seem to manifest as eating as little as possible rather than eating well).

I never eat junk food
Neither do I, I find that when my body is unhealthy my mind becomes corrupted as well and it makes me unstable.

Neither do I, I find that when my body is unhealthy my mind becomes corrupted as well and it makes me unstable.
Were you raised not being exposed to junk food, genuine question.

Were you raised not being exposed to junk food, genuine question.
My father was a head chef and later a restaurant manager, so the quality of food in our household was always exemplary. We would occasionally go to McDonald’s or something like that, and I loved it as a kid, but by the time I reached 12 I could see the difference in quality between junk and the other food I was eating and it started to taste utterly disgusting to me and still does.

i subsist on junk food

I do IIFYM, my macros are at 50 fat/380 carbs/205 protein. I don't really know what counts as "junk food". I've lost 20lbs so far and I'll have a treat of some sort at least once a day. However, today I ate a lot of junk but was still able to hit the necessary nutrient requirements to continue losing weight. I had 2 ferrero rocher candies, 4 serving of Kodiak Cake pancake mix, 3.5 tbsps Hersheys Caramel Syrup, 2 tbsps Coffee Syrup, 2 Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwiches (no mayo), 1 Wendy's baked potato-plain, 30tbsps Liquid Egg Whites, 302g zero fat yogurt. Most days I eat a good amount of micros (veggies and fruits and such) but what I ate today isn't necessarily going to hinder my weight loss because its cookie cutter IIFYM. #lamenordstrom. Started my cut on super high macros (4100 calories) where I was drinking syrup and eating honey at night just to hit my carb target lol.

I do IIFYM, my macros are at 50 fat/380 carbs/205 protein. I don't really know what counts as "junk food". I've lost 20lbs so far and I'll have a treat of some sort at least once a day. However, today I ate a lot of junk but was still able to hit the necessary nutrient requirements to continue losing weight. I had 2 ferrero rocher candies, 4 serving of Kodiak Cake pancake mix, 3.5 tbsps Hersheys Caramel Syrup, 2 tbsps Coffee Syrup, 2 Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwiches (no mayo), 1 Wendy's baked potato-plain, 30tbsps Liquid Egg Whites, 302g zero fat yogurt. Most days I eat a good amount of micros (veggies and fruits and such) but what I ate today isn't necessarily going to hinder my weight loss because its cookie cutter IIFYM. #lamenordstrom. Started my cut on super high macros (4100 calories) where I was drinking syrup and eating honey at night just to hit my carb target lol.
You’ll find that once you go a few days without sugar you no longer crave it in the same way. It’s a totally liberating feeling and it makes sense. Early man traversing the Sahara would not have had a mid-afternoon craving for a piece of chocolate or candy. It’s because our brains have been overly exposed to the unnatural stimulation of processed sugar that they have become addicted to it.

Sugar is not the problem, the problem is sugar and fat together. Have you ever tried eating a high carb/low fat diet? It's not that fun or tasty. Take a donut for example, generally known as a sugary food but most of the calories in that donut are coming from fat (9 calories per gram) not from sugar (4 calories per gram). I think those that advocate for a diet low in sugar because our ancestors didn't eat a lot of it are committing an appeal to nature fallacy. Regardless when we do look at the groups of people on earth who have lived the longest, their diets are high in sugar and low in fat. The Okinawans are the longest living group of people on earth and their diet is largely composed of sweet potatoes; animal products comprise less than 5% of their diet. The 7th day Adventists are vegetarians (mainly plant based, high carb) and have the longest life spans of any other group of people in the US. Furthermore, for athletes and people training hard in the gym, I think a low sugar diet is a bad idea. A lot of the studies that show how bad sugar is are done on the average American who isn't training hard, and since sugary foods are easier to eat, the overall caloric intake also increases thus ruining the blood markers (but it isn't necessarily the sugar). Dr. Mike Israetel and Alan Aragon say to prioritize the 3 C's for performance, Carbs, Caffeine and Creatine. I don't think any credible dietitian would prescribe a low sugar diet for an athlete, even those athletes that do eat more of a ketogenic diet, have re-feed days. It's essential for performance, your muscles need glycogen to work more efficiently.

I eat healthy until weekend hits. Then i will probably eat a burger, drink soda. On a bad day i will eat a whole pizza but those days are like omce every two months.

Sugar is not the problem, the problem is sugar and fat together. Have you ever tried eating a high carb/low fat diet? It's not that fun or tasty. Take a donut for example, generally known as a sugary food but most of the calories in that donut are coming from fat (9 calories per gram) not from sugar (4 calories per gram). I think those that advocate for a diet low in sugar because our ancestors didn't eat a lot of it are committing an appeal to nature fallacy. Regardless when we do look at the groups of people on earth who have lived the longest, their diets are high in sugar and low in fat. The Okinawans are the longest living group of people on earth and their diet is largely composed of sweet potatoes; animal products comprise less than 5% of their diet. The 7th day Adventists are vegetarians (mainly plant based, high carb) and have the longest life spans of any other group of people in the US. Furthermore, for athletes and people training hard in the gym, I think a low sugar diet is a bad idea. A lot of the studies that show how bad sugar is are done on the average American who isn't training hard, and since sugary foods are easier to eat, the overall caloric intake also increases thus ruining the blood markers (but it isn't necessarily the sugar). Dr. Mike Israetel and Alan Aragon say to prioritize the 3 C's for performance, Carbs, Caffeine and Creatine. I don't think any credible dietitian would prescribe a low sugar diet for an athlete, even those athletes that do eat more of a ketogenic diet, have re-feed days. It's essential for performance, your muscles need glycogen to work more efficiently.
There is a massive difference in the naturally occurring sugar found in the purple Okinawa sweet potato and that found in processed snacks, particularly those containing fructose syrup. I’ll grant you that there is almost no quantity of unprocessed fruit or veg a human can consume where naturally occurring sugars become a problem. However, if you consume large amounts of concentrated (found in dried fruits or fruit juice) or processed (found in snacks and junk food) sugar then you are spiking your insulin levels to unnatural levels, which massively skews your metabolism and appetite, this is the feeling of ‘craving’ sugar that many of us are familiar with.

If you spoke to (most of) the Okinawans or any indigenous people about your sugar craving it would be an alien concept to them, and this inability to resist cravings is one of the biggest contributors to obesity that we have.

So no, naturally occurring sugars do not induce addiction before they have been concentrated, but sugars found in junk and processed food certainly do and are best avoided.

I binge on normal homecooked food all the time. It's why I'm skinnyfat. I barely ever eat junk food, I never buy it myself.

I binge on normal homecooked food all the time. It's why I'm skinnyfat. I barely ever eat junk food, I never buy it myself.
Literally exactly what I do, +being vegan.

Literally exactly what I do, +being vegan.
Cutting out dairy and meat is really good for mood-swings, must be the hormones than run riot on your brain chemistry.

There is a massive difference in the naturally occurring sugar found in the purple Okinawa sweet potato and that found in processed snacks, particularly those containing fructose syrup. I’ll grant you that there is almost no quantity of unprocessed fruit or veg a human can consume where naturally occurring sugars become a problem. However, if you consume large amounts of concentrated (found in dried fruits or fruit juice) or processed (found in snacks and junk food) sugar then you are spiking your insulin levels to unnatural levels, which massively skews your metabolism and appetite, this is the feeling of ‘craving’ sugar that many of us are familiar with.

If you spoke to (most of) the Okinawans or any indigenous people about your sugar craving it would be an alien concept to them, and this inability to resist cravings is one of the biggest contributors to obesity that we have.

So no, naturally occurring sugars do not induce addiction before they have been concentrated, but sugars found in junk and processed food certainly do and are best avoided.

There is not a "massive" difference between the sugar found in sweet potatoes and those say in foods riddled with fructose syrup. All carbohydrates are broken down into simple carbohydrates. A complex carbohydrate (lower GI varieties) all end up being broken down into your simple carbohydrate/sugar. So sweet potatoes eventually get broken down into the subunits that make up the “evil” sugars – and necessarily so – that’s the only way it can get into your muscles to provide energy for movement. This gets lost on a lot of people as sugar is vilified and complex carbs are seen as fine by most compared to sugar.

Sports nutritionists (and endurance athletes especially) noticed that if they consumed sugary beverages or foods around their training, it improved. This was some of the beginning findings of nutrient timing and how higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates could actually improve performance. This is especially true for longer lasting workouts (think multiple hours) as the need to increase/replete glycogen stores as fast as possible is more important.

Dr. Mike Israetel recommends the following protocol for athletes "
"Some carbs like sugary cereal and Gatorade digest very rapidly, and are ideal sources for during and right after hard workouts, especially if other workouts are planned later that day. Meanwhile, slow digesting sources like oatmeal and whole grain bread are best for sustaining energy when eaten in most of the meals of the day."

Now when one is sedentary and not training hard, then yes, sugar is mostly useless and will just lead to excess caloric consumption since it's so easy to overeat.

You can't demonize fructose on a general basis. When Alan Aragon (Dr. Israetel's colleague) was asked "So, what’s the upper safe limit of fructose per day (all sources considered)?" He responded...

Again, this depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are an individual’s physical activity level and lean body mass. Currently in the literature is a liberal camp reporting that fructose intakes up to 90 grams per day have a beneficial effect on HbA(1c), and no significant effects are seen for fasting triacylglycerol or body weight with intakes up to 100 grams per day in adults [15]. The conservative camp suggests that the safe range is much less than this; roughly 25-40 grams per day [19]. Figuring that both sides are biased, the middle figure between the two camps is roughly 50 grams for adults (I’m talking about the general population, athletes with high energy demands can safely consume more). Although the tendency is to get hung up on the trivial minutia of an exact gram amount, it’s not possible to issue a universal number because individual circumstances vary widely (this is a concept that baffles anti-fructose absolutists). The big picture solution is in managing total caloric balance with a predominance of minimally refined foods and sufficient physical activity. Pointing the finger at fructose while dismissing dosage and context is like saying that exercise should be avoided because it makes you fat and injured by spiking your appetite and hurting your joints.

Heres a few articles I think you should read:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/08/05/sugar-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/01/04/carbs-the-training-fuel/

Other references:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19592634

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18996880

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047139

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20086073

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991323/

I eat candy, chocolate, cookies, and ice cream all the time

Every other day mostly

I have a cheat day once a week

There is not a "massive" difference between the sugar found in sweet potatoes and those say in foods riddled with fructose syrup. All carbohydrates are broken down into simple carbohydrates. A complex carbohydrate (lower GI varieties) all end up being broken down into your simple carbohydrate/sugar. So sweet potatoes eventually get broken down into the subunits that make up the “evil” sugars – and necessarily so – that’s the only way it can get into your muscles to provide energy for movement. This gets lost on a lot of people as sugar is vilified and complex carbs are seen as fine by most compared to sugar.

Sports nutritionists (and endurance athletes especially) noticed that if they consumed sugary beverages or foods around their training, it improved. This was some of the beginning findings of nutrient timing and how higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates could actually improve performance. This is especially true for longer lasting workouts (think multiple hours) as the need to increase/replete glycogen stores as fast as possible is more important.

Dr. Mike Israetel recommends the following protocol for athletes "
"Some carbs like sugary cereal and Gatorade digest very rapidly, and are ideal sources for during and right after hard workouts, especially if other workouts are planned later that day. Meanwhile, slow digesting sources like oatmeal and whole grain bread are best for sustaining energy when eaten in most of the meals of the day."

Now when one is sedentary and not training hard, then yes, sugar is mostly useless and will just lead to excess caloric consumption since it's so easy to overeat.

You can't demonize fructose on a general basis. When Alan Aragon (Dr. Israetel's colleague) was asked "So, what’s the upper safe limit of fructose per day (all sources considered)?" He responded...

Again, this depends on a number of variables, not the least of which are an individual’s physical activity level and lean body mass. Currently in the literature is a liberal camp reporting that fructose intakes up to 90 grams per day have a beneficial effect on HbA(1c), and no significant effects are seen for fasting triacylglycerol or body weight with intakes up to 100 grams per day in adults [15]. The conservative camp suggests that the safe range is much less than this; roughly 25-40 grams per day [19]. Figuring that both sides are biased, the middle figure between the two camps is roughly 50 grams for adults (I’m talking about the general population, athletes with high energy demands can safely consume more). Although the tendency is to get hung up on the trivial minutia of an exact gram amount, it’s not possible to issue a universal number because individual circumstances vary widely (this is a concept that baffles anti-fructose absolutists). The big picture solution is in managing total caloric balance with a predominance of minimally refined foods and sufficient physical activity. Pointing the finger at fructose while dismissing dosage and context is like saying that exercise should be avoided because it makes you fat and injured by spiking your appetite and hurting your joints.

Heres a few articles I think you should read:

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/08/05/sugar-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2016/01/04/carbs-the-training-fuel/

Other references:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19592634

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18996880

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20047139

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20086073

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991323/
For a number of reasons, refined sugar is bad, and sugar from whole plants is good. Here's one such reason:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22854401
Pure refined sugar (35g sucrose) causes postprandial hypoglycemia and subsequent rise in FFAs, whereas 35g sucrose + lingonberry puree or 35g sucrose + blackcurrant puree does not. This is thought to be due to the phytochemicals in berries slowing the absorption of sucrose. In addition, despite having more sugar, the blood sugar and insulin spikes among both berries + sugar groups were lower than that of the refined sugar only group.
9Yjmx3I.gif

There is also a ton of epidemiological research associating refined sugar intake with increased rates of diabetes and high blood pressure, etc. It's a simple Sci-Hub search away. In contrast, fruit and vegetable consumption, a source of natural sugar, is consistently associated with decreased all cause mortality and decreased rates of pretty much all diseases.

Also, calories are a zero-sum game, so every calorie you consume in coca-cola is a calorie you could have gotten from blueberries, spinach, sweet potatoes, etc. If you get all your calories from coke and gummy worms, you miss out on all the fiber, micros, phytonutrients, and importantly the whole plant itself, because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I eat high calorie food, but I'm still 5'11 and 100 pounds.