Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Media Music Megathread

View: https://youtu.be/v9-6QUMnhzE?t=1

View: https://youtu.be/wMzIHuWh_I0?si=CzeGdcYoKYOwqEPq

The worst thing about this song is that you only get the feeling of listening to it for the first time once.

I feel similarly to the song Xtal by Aphex Twin, TBHNGL. The difference with this song being, you'll never hear anything comparable to it or have the same feeling of this song replicated through another song, in spite of how simple it's musical structure and sampling is. Although I don't necessarily think it has a ephemeral first time listening experience. Since it's extremely replayable and captures the initial feeling despite constant replays.

View: https://youtu.be/2tOutF8B3f8

This is a relatively good albeit 'bland' shoegaze song that I have in my playlist but I rarely see anyone mention it outside of sperg boards:

View: https://youtu.be/izTncUmqdis

Last edited:
I feel similarly to the song Xtal by Aphex Twin, TBHNGL. The difference with this song being, you'll never hear anything comparable to it or have the same feeling of this song replicated through another song, in spite of how simple it's musical structure and sampling is. Although I don't necessarily think it has a ephemeral first time listening experience. Since it's extremely replayable and captures the initial feeling despite constant replays.

View: https://youtu.be/2tOutF8B3f8
I remember not really "getting" why Aphex Twin was so influential and praised when I first listened to one or two of his songs out of curiosity in high school. I didn't really see the appeal, much like with a lot of things people liked that weren't immediately compatible with my own personal preferences. But I think i see now. This track might've convinced me to give him another shot. Even though it isn't outwardly entrancing or catchy like the Flume song is, I appreciate how well it captures a sense of atmosphere and serenity. The faintly pulsating synths, the ultramodern female vocal samples, the drums, and the mixing and mastering all sound like something that could have been produced in this generation. I mean, I thought it was from the 2000's ded srs.

You know, before the beat dropped, it honestly sounded like a looped version of a melody that Kevin Penkin would write for Made in Abyss:

View: https://youtu.be/Gvues5ZfUt8?si=OYhHU_dpTfrR30ca

An innovative dark fantasy show crowned with music that makes me feel wonder and emotion toward the screen I thought myself too cynical to feel anymore, carrying my imagination as it goes. It takes me somewhere where I feel I can actually have—without shame or reservation—an imagination and excitement. I think you would like some of it too.

I mean, I thought it was from the 2000's ded srs.
The earliest known physical iterations of that track date back to a demo tape from 1989. So that would mean he wasn't even 18 when he initially produced it. The earliest recorded tracks on that album are from when he was 14 all the way back in 1985. He could've been as young as 15 when he started working on Xtal.

To think that there was a kid in the mid-to-late 80's making music as prescient and beautiful as Xtal with such antiquated technology is genuinely incredible.

Last edited:
An innovative dark fantasy show crowned with music that makes me feel wonder and emotion toward the screen I thought myself too cynical to feel anymore, carrying my imagination as it goes. It takes me somewhere where I feel I can actually have—without shame or reservation—an imagination and excitement. I think you would like some of it too.
I've watched Made in Abyss before, however, it was in the midst of me taste testing a litany of anime and so I didn't delve too deep into it. I will have to check it out again one of these days.

What is your favorite anime OST? Or, at the very least, your top 5 in no particular order.

Last edited:
The earliest known physical iterations of that track date back to a demo tape from 1989. So that would mean he wasn't even 18 when he initially produced it. The earliest recorded tracks on that album are from when he was 14 all the way back in 1985. He could've been as young as 15.

To think that there was a kid in the mid-to-late 80's making music as prescient and beautiful as Xtal with such antiquated technology is genuinely incredible.
he was only 14? Fuarkkk. I will NEVER be a young prodigy known for innovating an entire music genre. The agepill becomes more brutal each day.

Wait, actually, I do have one Aphex Twin song in my EDM/electronic playlist:

View: https://youtu.be/_AWIqXzvX-U?si=YBTtvxn1gvD3hGWi

Even if way longer than it actually needs to be, this track is powerful. I'm a sucker for a good atmospheric song, but I can't listen to it all the time because it always makes me feel more depressed and reflective than I already am. I nearly started crying this morning while listening to Earth by Susumu Hirasawa. It was the ideal song to listen to at the moment because it genuinely sounds like the dawn of a fresh new day or what it's like to wake up in the morning and finally realize that this life may, in fact, be worth living after all.

View: https://youtu.be/5iAViNf9Z4Y?si=IQZ3qXT4-LeIxqQ7

he was only 14? Fuarkkk. I will NEVER be a young prodigy known for innovating an entire music genre. The agepill becomes more brutal each day.
It's unfair and brutal but I'm glad that they exist: both for the reality check and music.
Wait, actually, I do have one Aphex Twin song in my EDM/electronic playlist:

View: https://youtu.be/_AWIqXzvX-U?si=YBTtvxn1gvD3hGWi

:yes:Rhubarb is one of his greatest ambient songs and is arguably the best song off of seleced ambient works volume ii.
Even if way longer than it actually needs to be, this track is powerful. I'm a sucker for a good atmospheric song, but I can't listen to it all the time because it always makes me feel more depressed and reflective than I already am.
I feel similarly. What's worse is that even upbeat songs can provide an initial elating experience but eventually the distinction of the elation as an escape from your life circumstances will begin to blur. To the point where the song become unlistenable, as if the song itself becomes a mirror of how shitty your life is.
I nearly started crying this morning while listening to Earth by Susumu Hirasawa. It was the ideal song to listen to at the moment because it genuinely sounds like the dawn of a fresh new day or what it's like to wake up in the morning and finally realize that this life may, in fact, be worth living after all.

It's a good song.

I've watched Made in Abyss before, however, it was in the midst of me taste testing a litany of anime and so I didn't delve too deep into it. I will have to check it out again one of these days.
I see. Though I believe the setting to be among the most fantastical and engrossing in anime, I can understand why it might not immediately captivate you. It makes sense that some people would brush it under the rug or think less of it because of its innocent and childish exterior. I still wouldn't quite recommend it to everybody though, as it's a bit of an acquired taste for that reason. Perhaps you wouldn't find it as easy to adjust to the chibi-style character art if you're more into mature anime.
What is your favorite anime OST? Or, at the very least, your top 5 in no particular order.
Glad you asked :feelsaww:
  • My favorite anime soundtrack of all time ever is the Atack on Titan OST (Seasons 1-3 only, as Hiroyuki Sawano no longer composed for the series after that. His mix of orchestral music with electronic sounds is orgasmic. There is simply no other word for it. But the biggest thing for me, is that every single melody in the soundtrack is profoundly memorable and intensely epic. So many iconic tracks. Even his sad songs never fail to light the fire in what little humanity I have left.)
  • FLCL (The show made The Pillows, and their soundtrack made the show. It truly is a match made in heaven. In addition to being one of the best anime OSTs of all time, several of their albums are also hailed as some of the best Jrock albums of all time.)
  • Ghost in the Shell Films (A legendary soundtrack for a legendary film. Making of a Cyborg is one of the greatest opening themes to anything ever. No one does atmosphere quite like Kenji Kawai.)
  • Pretty much every Studio Ghibli OST by Joe Hisaishi (Never fails to create utterly spellbinding, deeply emotive, and mesmerizing soundscapes that take you back to simpler, better times. Every song song he composed for a Studio Ghibli movie is guaranteed to be aesthetically pleasing to the ears and is filled with wonder and magic.)
  • Death Note and Hunter x Hunter (Both borrow from classical music quite heavily at times, both have some of the most infectiously awesome and bracingly dramatic pieces I’ve heard, and both were composed by Yoshihisa Hirano (and Hideki Taniuchi for Death Note.) Hirano’s versatility in composing both memorable dramatic and upbeat tracks for HxH demonstrates his skill as a composer, and The Chimera Ant arc in particular has some of the best music in the show, hands down. I also think both soundtracks hold up favorably to any film score.)
Wow. I just realized that I don't really have many favorite soundtracks because I've been saving all of the high-quality, well-produced shows I know I'll enjoy in my backlog for the day when I eventually have the money to buy a QLED TV (or OLED, but I doubt I'll be able to splurge on that anytime soon), as that's the best and only way quality cinema and TV should be experienced. But, for the time being, those four OSTs stand out to me as the best.

Hiroyuki Sawano is, in fact, my all-time favorite musical composer. Everything, I mean everything, that man touches turns to gold, so I already know I'm going to fall in love with every soundtrack he creates for a show. That's why I can't say for sure what my top five are. I'm just not sure that I'm confident enough in my favorite OSTs to tell you for sure because there's still so much that I haven't listened to yet since I've still barely touched my watchlist.

Last edited:
I feel similarly. What's worse is that even upbeat songs can provide an initial elating experience but eventually the distinction of the elation as an escape from your life circumstances will begin to blur. To the point where the song become unlistenable, as if the song itself becomes a mirror of how shitty your life is.
Thinking about something so simple in such a depressing way isn't normal tbh :fuk:

I still would rather listen to something that raises my spirits or fires me up rather than something that makes me depressive or existential. I consider music to be a mood enhancer and a major factor in how I feel, and usually, I don't want to feel sad. I can't get into genres like goth rock or black metal for this reason. My sister is really into it though, but she's more depressed and neurotic than I am, so it's no wonder why jfl. Maybe it's because I suffer from chronic demotivation more than depression, idk...
It's a good song.
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Even if way longer than it actually needs to be, this track is powerful. I'm a sucker for a good atmospheric song, but I can't listen to it all the time because it always makes me feel more depressed and reflective than I already am. I nearly started crying this morning while listening to Earth by Susumu Hirasawa. It was the ideal song to listen to at the moment because it genuinely sounds like the dawn of a fresh new day or what it's like to wake up in the morning and finally realize that this life may, in fact, be worth living after all.

i love this one

cuz it reminds me of titanic LOL

they both came out in 97, and got that celtic vibe

FLCL (The show made The Pillows, and their soundtrack made the show. It truly is a match made in heaven. In addition to being one of the best anime OSTs of all time, several of their albums are also hailed as some of the best Jrock albums of all time.)
That's a great pick, TBHNGL. I really liked Fooly Cooly's OST and didn't even realize it was so revered. At the time I watched it, the art style and animation took precedence over it for me personally.

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away...