Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

It's Over Terror management theory (life is one big cope)

blackpillscience

blackpillscience

It’s ogre
★★★★
The gist of the theory is that as self aware beings that still carry a degree of instinct, humans are trapped in indefinite existential conflict with the knowledge that they will inevitably cease to exist, as a coping mechanism people create cultural values (religion, politics , nationalism) in order to instill a sense of self-esteem so to feel as if they live in a world with inherent meaning, as this allows a person to feel they have achieved a symbolic form of immortality, to contribute to something that is considered a fundamental part of existence.

“The idea of death, the fear of it, haunts the human animal like nothing else; it is a mainspring of human activity designed largely to avoid the fatality of death, to overcome it by denying in some way that it is the final destiny for man.”
Ernest Becker, 1973

Last edited:
It sounds like something someone who gets paid to string together grandiose words would come up with.

Most people don’t think about death, out of sight out of mind. Even some animals know about death and mourn for their dead family.

Most people don’t think about death, out of sight out of mind. Even some animals know about death and mourn for their dead family.
People use coping mechanisms to keep those thoughts at bay. That’s terror management theory. It’s the same as a sub5 male using coping mechanisms to deal with inceldom

People use coping mechanisms to keep those thoughts at bay. That’s terror management theory. It’s the same as a sub5 male using coping mechanisms to deal with inceldom
I think people cope due to being bored as well. I doubt people are that philosophical about it, but maybe in their subconsciousness they might be. I wonder what happens if a normal person just stops doing anything, do they just randomly have thoughts about death all day?

I think people cope due to being bored as well. I doubt people are that philosophical about it, but maybe in their subconsciousness they might be. I wonder what happens if a normal person just stops doing anything, do they just randomly have thoughts about death all day?
that would be a good question for the Neets on here