Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion USAcels what's the difference between grilling and having a cookout?

SecularNeo-Khazar

SecularNeo-Khazar

Mixedcell
★★★★★
Because watching english youtube made me wonder.

Like, isn't it the same thing?

Is a cookout like having friends and family together whilst grilling is just for the family?

Then again I know people go out to grill with friends only.

Like, what's the difference then?

Or is the same word for one activity?

If so, is a cookout organized by people with silly accents and people who are more sophisticated do the grilling?

Grilling is when the coppers are trying to pin a crimes on you.

Is a cookout like having friends and family together whilst grilling is just for the family?

If so, is a cookout organized by people with silly accents and people who are more sophisticated do the grilling?
It means the same thing. For cook outs usually you invite friends over, whereas grilling can be done by yourself because that's just describing how you are cooking food.

It's not USA specific but both of these words are common in English globally. Grilling is part of cooking. For example you grill a steak by putting it on the grill, which is an appliance with a hot surface used for cooking. Grilling can be done anytime and alone or with other people.

A cookout on the other hand is typically something where you invit friends and/or family over to cook together. The typical American stereotype is of an outdoor gathering where one guy is grilling steaks or hot dogs or burgers on a grill while the family or friends sit together and socialize or play games like cornhole before the food is ready.

Barbeque (abbreviated BBQ) is another interesting word because it can refer to several different things. There is:
- Barbeque (synonym for grill) "I'm gonna throw some burger patties on the barbeque"
- Barbeque (synonym for grilling) as in "I'm going to barbeque some food"
- Barbeque (synonym for pulled pork) as in "Eating some barbeque"
- Barbeque (synonym for a cookout) as in "Hosting a barbeque"

Here are some examples:
Hank Hill (from the American animated show King Of The Hill) and his propane grill
Hank hill propane grill

Hank Hill Grilling
Hank hill grilling

Hank Hill hosting a cookout
Hank hill cookout

Dominic Toretto (from the Fast and Furious francise) hosting a cookout (they have one in almost every F&F movie)
Dominic Toretto Cookout

It's not USA specific but both of these words are common in English globally. Grilling is part of cooking. For example you grill a steak by putting it on the grill, which is an appliance with a hot surface used for cooking. Grilling can be done anytime and alone or with other people.

A cookout on the other hand is typically something where you invit friends and/or family over to cook together. The typical American stereotype is of an outdoor gathering where one guy is grilling steaks or hot dogs or burgers on a grill while the family or friends sit together and socialize or play games like cornhole before the food is ready.

Barbeque (abbreviated BBQ) is another interesting word because it can refer to several different things. There is:
- Barbeque (synonym for grill) "I'm gonna throw some burger patties on the barbeque"
- Barbeque (synonym for grilling) as in "I'm going to barbeque some food"
- Barbeque (synonym for pulled pork) as in "Eating some barbeque"
- Barbeque (synonym for a cookout) as in "Hosting a barbeque"

Here are some examples:
Hank Hill (from the American animated show King Of The Hill) and his propane grill
View attachment 1087041

Hank Hill Grilling
View attachment 1087042

Hank Hill hosting a cookout
View attachment 1087044

Dominic Toretto (from the Fast and Furious francise) hosting a cookout (they have one in almost every F&F movie)
View attachment 1087045

It means the same thing. For cook outs usually you invite friends over, whereas grilling can be done by yourself because that's just describing how you are cooking food.
Thanks brocels, kuddos to you