Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion What linux distributions do you like to use the most ?

• Thread starter Doctor Manhattan
  • Start date
Doctor Manhattan

Doctor Manhattan

I Am Watching The Stars
-
I'm using the manjaro distribution and it's been working well for me so far ...

Garuda Linux (curry distro)

macOS
its the ultimate and final :redpill:

Parabola GNU/Linux-libre

Real men use gentoo :hax:

Linux users are faggots

i don't use Linux anymore but when i did i used Mint. it just werks.

i don't use Linux anymore but when i did i used Mint. it just werks.
It works fine for me too, the problem is that it doesn't look good on my monitor.

I've used PureOS and MInt.

Windows 11 i guess

Aren't all linux distros light?
Not all, depends on what is pre-packaged in the distribution.

The more popular distros (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, OpenSuSE, etc.) already have a desktop environment along with extra pre-installed applications (web browsers, email client, GIMP, etc.) and drivers, since they're meant to work out-of-the-box with very little configuration or additional packages to install for the end user.

And it also depends on the desktop environment that comes pre-installed. GNOME and KDE are the more heavyweight ones and will take up a lot of RAM on your PC. Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE are in the middleweight range. LXQt is the lightest popular desktop environment rn.
Slackware is notorious for coming with a lot of bloat (since a full installation of Slackware has all dependencies and libraries already installed) and the install CD has options for different DEs and WMs. Knoppix which is a live DVD distro also comes with a lot of stuff installed.

Then there are the minimalist "build-it-yourself" distros (like Debian/Devuan, Arch/Artix Linux, Void Linux, Gentoo, LFS, etc.) that only installs the base operating system (the kernel, coreutils, bash shell, and some drivers for networking) with a command-line only, and the user must install any additional packages, libraries and dependencies (including the graphic user interface, etc.) via the package manager after installation of the system.

Another note on desktop environments is that desktop environments are suites of applications, that include a window manager (KDE has KWin,GNOME has Mutter, XFCE has Xfwm and LXQt uses Openbox) as well as other applications that work together (namely the file manager, image viewer, text editor, settings manager, etc.). Desktop environments and applications are also designed around a toolkit (like GTK for GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE; and Qt for KDE and Qt).

There are also window managers you can install standalone without any extra applications and are "agnostic" when it comes to desktop evironments. For example you can install and use Openbox on its own, as well as Fluxbox, Window Maker, twm, i3, IceWM, FVWM, etc. These are much lighter that DEs and different window manager have different features (some WMs are traditional stacking WMs with floating windows that overlap and can be dragged with a mouse, others are tiling WMs that tile windows and divide the screen space designed for mouseless use with keyboard navigation).

You can learn more about desktop environments on this page: https://eylenburg.github.io/de_comparison.htm

And on window managers here: http://www.xwinman.org/

Last edited:
MX Linux is famous for running on less powerful PCs right? Giga-based development team :feelsmage:
As for MX Linux, it comes with either XFCE or Fluxbox so it's pretty light. It also has an option without systemd, and you can save your current installation on a USB to be installed on another PC or as a live system.

There is an even lighter version called antiX created by the same team, it comes with lighter applications and is meant to be used as a live CD or live USB, but it can also be installed.

Not all, depends on what is pre-packaged in the distribution.

The more popular distros (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Manjaro, OpenSuSE, etc.) already have a desktop environment along with extra pre-installed applications (web browsers, email client, GIMP, etc.) and drivers, since they're meant to work out-of-the-box with very little configuration or additional packages to install for the end user.

And it also depends on the desktop environment that comes pre-installed. GNOME and KDE are the more heavyweight ones and will take up a lot of RAM on your PC. Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE are in the middleweight range. LXQt is the lightest popular desktop environment rn.
Slackware is notorious for coming with a lot of bloat (since a full installation of Slackware has all dependencies and libraries already installed) and the install CD has options for different DEs and WMs. Knoppix which is a live DVD distro also comes with a lot of stuff installed.

Then there are the minimalist "build-it-yourself" distros (like Debian/Devuan, Arch/Artix Linux, Void Linux, Gentoo, LFS, etc.) that only installs the base operating system (the kernel, coreutils, bash shell, and some drivers for networking) with a command-line only, and the user must install any additional packages, libraries and dependencies (including the graphic user interface, etc.) via the package manager after installation of the system.

Another note on desktop environments is that desktop environments are suites of applications, that include a window manager (KDE has KWin,GNOME has Mutter, XFCE has Xfwm and LXQt uses Openbox) as well as other applications that work together (namely the file manager, image viewer, text editor, settings manager, etc.). Desktop environments and applications are also designed around a toolkit (like GTK for GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE and XFCE; and Qt for KDE and Qt).

There are also window managers you can install standalone without any extra applications and are "agnostic" when it comes to desktop evironments. For example you can install and use Openbox on its own, as well as Fluxbox, Window Maker, twm, i3, IceWM, FVWM, etc. These are much lighter that DEs and different window manager have different features (some WMs are traditional stacking WMs with floating windows that overlap and can be dragged with a mouse, others are tiling WMs that tile windows and divide the screen space designed for mouseless use with keyboard navigation).

You can learn more about desktop environments on this page: https://eylenburg.github.io/de_comparison.htm

And on window managers here: http://www.xwinman.org/
Pleasant reading and useful links brocel ! :feelsokman:

As for MX Linux, it comes with either XFCE or Fluxbox so it's pretty light. It also has an option without systemd, and you can save your current installation on a USB to be installed on another PC or as a live system.

There is an even lighter version called antiX created by the same team, it comes with lighter applications and is meant to be used as a live CD or live USB, but it can also be installed.
When I used Tails on usb it was interesting, especially the feature of access to ram to dump some things... But I missed some things for my personal use.

When I used Tails on usb it was interesting, especially the feature of access to ram to dump some things... But I missed some things for my personal use.
Tails is really only designed to use Tor, not necessarily as a daily driver.

As for a lightweight live system, I would recommend antiX or Puppy Linux. You can use MX Linux as a live system too but it's a bit more heavier and Knoppix is too bloated.

A live system is good if you want a backup OS to boot from that can work on different computers and you can save your work on a second USB or a persistent partition.

Thank you linuxExpertcel

Yeah I installed fedora with gnome at first and it was bloated an used 2.5gb ram idle, it kinda defeats the purpose but it was snappy from the moment you install it unlike windows

I'm gonna experiment with a lot of distros (starting with MX) as long as I can use win LTSC, then I'll go full linux
I wouldn't touch Fedora, since it's backed by RedHat which has been pushing a lot of retarded bloat that's been ruining Linux (like systemd) on top of having a fast release cycle. At least it isn't as worse as Ubuntu though (it's a fine distro if you don't mind systemd and frequent updates, since it has newer features and doesn't have the retardedness of Ubuntu like Snapd, and it has respins with other DEs).

MX Linux is a good choice but if you want to try a more minimalist distro (but still prefer stable releases with slow updates) try Debian or Devuan (which is systemd-free). I like stable distros that don't update too much since I have shitty Internet and my desktop computer is old and I don't have a wired connection in my room (I use apt-offline to get packages and updates from my laptop to my desktop). Linux Mint Debian Edition is also good if you want an out-of-the-box distro (it has systemd tho).

If you don't mind a rolling release distro (which has frequent "rolling" updates but you get newer software) you can go with Artix Linux or Void Linux. I only recommend rolling release distros if you have a strong and constant Internet connection and you don't mind doing some troubleshooting.

I guess I would like to use Debian since many distros are based on it. I'm happy with Win 10 LTSC 2019, everything just works.

my internet is ok but the instability and constant gay updates of windows is one of the main reasons I hate it, I want to update like every 2 months ON MY CHOICE
Yeah, Debian doesn't update that much but the problem is that a new stable release comes out every two years so you are stuck using old packages if you use pure Debian or Devuan, since each new release is very slow. The solution is to move to the Testing branch (which is the "beta" for the next stable release but is rolling and has newer package) or just enable backports repository on the stable release which allows newer packages from the Testing branch that have been tested to work on the current stable release.

Though I think MX Linux already has updated packages already in its own repositories.
It was actually the first distro I tried to install but didn't recognize my wifi driver in the installation:incel: so I didn't try further, I think it's good for older PCs
Yeah, that's because Debian by default doesn't come with non-free software in case your Wi-Fi card requires a proprietary driver.

Not a huge deal if you have access to a wired connection, you might have to enable the non-free repositories and lookup the model of your Wi-Fi card to see which driver is the one you need. There is also a non-free Debian install ISOs which might come with your required network driver here: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Any Debian based one, preferably with XFCE

I'm using debian rn

Might switch to Void or Artix idk

PUPPY linux is surprisingly good :feelzez:

I'm using debian rn

Might switch to Void or Artix idk
I've considered it too but I have shitty Internet and I don't like updating too much.

I will be here brocel :feelsokman:

Re: Where do you get a linux OS at
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184433295Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:18 PM CST
"Linux" is a set of open-source operating systems based on the Unix OS architecture. They are usually "free" to download and install.
Re: Seergaze's Roblox Eulogy, 2010 - 2016 (Now Unlocked)
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184540828Monday, February 29, 2016 11:43 AM CST
"why leave silently when you can leave with a small barely audible bang thatll linger in the air for less then a few seconds" Well, "Vineshroom" certainly provided a valid statement. Optimistic illusions cannot alter objective evidence.