Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Experiment who started the "brain isn't developed until age 25" claim and what evidence is there related to it?

Sheogorath

Sheogorath

Paragon
★★★★★
It relates to the prefrontal cortex and impulse control. Curious what year it got introduced and what critics there were of the proposition.

My brain isnt fully developed, I'll let you know

Your brain develops your whole life pretty much, I think they mean the process of synaptic pruning in the prefrontal cortex.

Last edited:
probably some (((scientist)))

The ability to analyse your own thinking develops in your twenties. But that isn't necessary to have sex jfl

I managed to find this mentioned in a 2006 book:

10may2004

So I expect this research didn't come out much earlier than 2004, perhaps 2003 since it is described as "new".

This idea is probably less than 20 years old and prior to that, it sounds like prevailing scientific theory was that brains reached full maturation at age 12.5, half as much. Odd eh?

MRIs have existed since 1977 so it seems strange we went 25 years of using that without noticing prefrontal cortex differences or understanding their role.

I'd be interested in reading papers from the 90s and earlier and see what they have to say about brain development.

The ability to analyse your own thinking develops in your twenties
Thats silly, I analyzed my own thinking as a preteen. It's a trained skill you can learn to do, and many NPCs in 30s/40s still haven't done it appreciably.

Kersting2004

Looks like this research came from Kersting in 2004.

Last edited:
people who want to sell you a master's degree

it means my brain is fully developed now

found a 2004 piece in the APA by a "K. Kiersting" at https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug04/brain

JayGiedd

it relies on analysis by Jay N. Giedd at the NIH though it doesn't say performed the study he's referencing

I think he may have run this study himself though, as it sounds a lot like https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15251877/

Abstract said:
frontal gray matter volume peaks at about age 11.0 years in girls and 12.1 years in boys
temporal gray matter volume peaks at about age at 16.7 years in girls and 16.2 years in boys.
The dorsal lateral prefrontal cortex, important for controlling impulses, is among the latest brain regions to mature
without reaching adult dimensions until the early 20s

Given that Giedd's abstract specifies "early 20s" I'm not exactly sure where Kiersting derived 25 though.

That seems speculative, perhaps because all you know is that "early 20s" is the first half. Giedd might well have meant 20-22 though, so Kiersting playing it safe may have misled the public the last 19 years.

I found the full 9-page study as a free PDF guys, check out these graphs

Diagrams

This is pretty hilarious ngl look at the sex differences.

Have this on hand to show any feminists who say it's pedophilia to fuck women under 25

I found the full 9-page study as a free PDF guys, check out these graphs

View attachment 746463

This is pretty hilarious ngl look at the sex differences.

Have this on hand to show any feminists who say it's pedophilia to fuck women under 25
jfl brootal
i mean yeah. i just call them psychopaths but some say nah, they are just like spoiled children. You know how kids smash snails and shit for fun and have no sense of responsbility and shit.

So yeah.

also regarding OP, im 25 going on 26 and im scared its over for leraning idk. I read a bit on neuroplasticity and shit but yeah. Im terrified of becoming like my dad at age 40 or something, that is one of the most scary things ever.

so yeah. idk if its over. I hope not.

WhiteMatter

more charts from study showing differences in subtypes of white matter by sex and age

only place DLPFC (dorsal lateral prefrontal cortex) gets mentioned in Giedd's 9-page paper outside of the Abstract:

DLPFC

The last 2 decades of agecuckery are a complete joke, this is clownworld, it's based entirely on taking Giedd's writing out of context.