Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Why does everything lean towards chaos?

Mortis

Mortis

The Senator of Suffering & Minister of Misery
★★★★★
If you're not religious and you believe that everything in this universe is by chance and not by design, I don't understand why that "chance" usually leans towards destruction, pain, misery, and chaos.

Things we humans concider as bad are more likely to happen to us then things we concider good. If everything is just by chance then the bad out stakes the good 1 million to 1. A seemingly small and insignificant thing can have the most life wrecking and destroying of outcomes.

Just a slip can leave you dead or paralysed, just a moment of unattentiveness can lead to you being in a devastating car wreck. It seems like happiness doesn't work that way, but we got enough misery to spare. You're more likely to develop cancer than win the lottery, and the lottery is the only example I can think of were a small action can lead to great happiness (and most of the time even that doesn't work out).

Why is it so difficult to build a card house but so incredibly easy to knock it down? I never understood this about life. A religious person can explain this as tests of God, but what does an atheistic worldview say about this apparent fallen state of being?

Last edited:
Entropy.

You are welcome.

You might be interested in a field of study known as Chaos Theory—where seemingly small and insignificant changes in the initial conditions lead to massively disparate outcomes. This is known in popular culture as the Butterfly Effect.

Doesn't that only talk about energy? How do you apply it to the concepts of bad and good we constructed?
The human being, like any other in the universe, is made of matter, and matter tends to entropy. Mutations, cancers, random effects on everyday life...

Good and evil only respond to utilitarian concepts (don't kill unjustly because they could kill you - do not kil unjustly, because most human beings have compassion for human beings). The moment you are protected from the consequences of your actions, good and evil have no relevance.

As someone who studied chemistry I also have a kinetic interpretation of this. For two molecules to react they must collide at a specific angle and speed. There are billions more possibilities of unsuccessful than successful collision. If you consider the reaction "good" and failing "bad" then you may begin to see that failure is simply the statistically more likely outcome. Though I'm not sure if this applies too well to the moral-type questions.

Last edited:
As someone who studied chemistry I also have a kinetic interpretation of this. For two molecules to react they must collide at a specific angle and speed. There are billions more possibilities of unsuccessful than successful collision. If you consider the reaction "good" and failing "bad" then you may begin to see that failure is simply the statistically more likely outcome. Although I'm not sure if this applies too well to the moral-type questions.
Yes, I watched a few videos about it and this was roughly the thing they said. In the process of taking the entropypill

The human being, like any other in the universe, is made of matter, and matter tends to entropy. Mutations, cancers, random effects on everyday life...

Good and evil only respond to utilitarian concepts (don't kill unjustly because they could kill you - do not kil unjustly, because most human beings have compassion for human beings). The moment you are protected from the consequences of your actions, good and evil have no relevance.
Thanks for the explanation.

It's so incredibly odd isn't it? Why must things be like this? My understanding is that every action increases the entropy and makes it worse? And that that will eventually lead to the heat death of the universe?

To understand it you first need to understand what "life" is

Life is a low probability event, especially complex life like humans, and the definition of "good" needs to be life-affirming so it's also a low probability events, there are much much MUCH more ways it can be "bad" than good
How didn't I think of this, I completely understand now. Thank you.

This is also why pessimism is the only acceptable philosophy, everything else is cope
I think I am going trough an existential crisis

Our entire life as humans is one big existential crisis, and there's no end to this shit either

There is ORDER in chaos.

Life itself down to the cellular level is brutal and unforgiving. I get why Christcucks retreat to religion, bc a comfortable lie is so much better than the horrific truth. I supposed I do the same to some extent, I try not to think about it and use copes to avoid the existential dread of existence

Why is the fine structure constant approximately 1/137 and not some other numeric value? Some things just are the way they are.