Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting Incel trait: You're a phony in a world of Holden Caulfields

La Grande Infamie

La Grande Infamie

“Don’t look at me! I’m fuckin’ ugly!”
★★★★
I recently read The Catcher In The Rye. Decent book, nothing I'd write home about really. I thought over the concept of Holden's hatred for phonies and realized that most, if not all people nowadays preach that you shouldn't be a "phony", you should "just be yourself". I firmly believed that just being myself would win me friends, would get me a girlfriend. It was all bullshit. I realized that people were noticeably happier in my absence, and I just stopped behaving like my true self. It didn't help, but I don't really know how to express myself properly now. Nobody likes the real me. Nobody ever will, I'm willing to bet.

Ik this is a water post but I don't really care. It's late and I've had a really shitty day.

Society is hypocritical. Everyone's a phony, you have to be a phony to get ahead in the real world but then they tell you to be yourself, that's what Holden was trying to get throughout the entire plot, he doesn't like that the world is like that but you have to play by the rules in the end. Ironically he had phony qualities himself because he didn't always act like himself in front of others.

Last edited: