Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Does anyone here know about terror management theory?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3725
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3725

Banned
-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory

In social psychology, terror management theory (TMT) proposes a basic psychological conflict that results from having a self-preservation instinct, whilst realizing that death is inevitable and to some extent unpredictable. This conflict produces terror, and the terror is then managed by embracing cultural values, or symbolic systems that act to provide life with enduring meaning and value.[1][2] The theory was originally proposed by Jeff Greenberg, Sheldon Solomon, and Tom Pyszczynski[1] and codified in their book The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life, published in 2015.

Thought you guys might be interested because it essentially says everything we do is COPE. Cope is taken as fact among incels, but this theory actually helps to legitimize what we've been saying.

Yeah, a lot actually.

Yeah, a lot actually.

same.

TMT is based on Ernest Becker's work.. I've become a Becker-ite and frequently have to prevent myself from sperging too much about how everything -- ranging from the desire to have kids, to religion, misogyny, anti-degeneracy -- is cope. E.g., see my tl;dr abandoned ghostthread on the topic: https://incels.is/threads/despair-is-the-only-rational-emotion.16987/

below is a good discussion on Becker's "nihilism" from r/philosophy

Profound apathy and indifference towards everything given the ultimate reality of our existence seem to be the only rational baseline emotions tbh

no shit everything is cope, lol

I love this theory.

It shows how even what everyone wants here (pussies/waifu) is COPE

That's the delicious irony lol everything is cope even for red/blackpillers who think that what they desire had they got it is not COPE

(I'm not saying that some Copes aren't cleaaaarly better than others that's obvious but in the end in this dumb rock in this stupid meaningless universe in this short span of life everything is cope )

I love this theory.

It shows how even what everyone wants here (pussies/waifu) is COPE

That's the delicious irony lol everything is cope even for red/blackpillers who think that what they desire had they got it is not COPE

(I'm not saying that some Copes aren't cleaaaarly better than others that's obvious but in the end in this dumb rock in this stupid meaningless universe in this short span of life everything is cope )

strong username. yeh buddhism/eastern philosophy was ahead of the curve when it comes to conceptualizing the secular reality of an (inescapably ephemeral) existence (which, in the West, took confirmation by modern physics to realize)

K2MHphh.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_marks_of_existence

In Buddhism, the three marks of existence are three characteristics (Pali: tilakkhaṇa; Sanskrit: trilakṣaṇa) of all existence and beings, namely impermanence (anicca), unsatisfactoriness or suffering (dukkha),[1] and non-self (anattā).[2][3][4] These three characteristics are mentioned in verses 277, 278 and 279 of the Dhammapada.[5] That humans are subject to delusion about the three marks, that this delusion results in suffering, and that removal of that delusion results in the end of suffering, is a central theme in the Buddhist Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path.

anatta/non-self is probably the hardest pill to swallow or comprehend. The only thing that separates "you" from an inanimate object is the organization of your atoms and their emergent characteristics. Fear not, death will permanently annihilate this temporary organization (and illusion of "self") to its natural state, as dictated by entropy

Also, thread sponsored by Albert (Camus) the squirrel and Friedrich the bear :)

sex is cope.

having a gf is cope.

hedonism is cope.

cope is cope.

sex is cope.

having a gf is cope.

hedonism is cope.

cope is cope.
Everything is cope its all meant to distract us from the inevitable death. Animals find no need to cope because they are too stupid to know they will die and be forgotten. Our intelligence was a curse tbh

Everything is cope its all meant to distract us from the inevitable death. Animals find no need to cope because they are too stupid to know they will die and be forgotten. Our intelligence was a curse tbh

Being into nihilism or eastern philosophy is coping. You're still coping, regressing to another form of cope.

The rule about coping is that it's impossible to stop coping.

The cope ouroboros will always come to swallow you, it cannot be defeated.

Some eastern philosophies ask you to deatch yourself from everything, including eastern philosophy.

Read on Nisargadata Maharaj for instance, he used to always repeat that his teaching is a temporary station and should also be discarded.

Being into nihilism or eastern philosophy is coping. You're still coping, regressing to another form of cope.

Explain.

Cope, in the context of this thread, refers to any cognition that ignores or distracts one from confronting death anxiety. I've seen the (very rare) argument that nihilism is cope before (e.g., @blickpall argued this -- and, interestingly, so has professional charlatan Jordan Peterson), but it's generally predicated on the idea that any cognition that assuages any anxiety in general (and not just death anxiety) = cope. Since most anxiety results from uncertainty, the belief in anything (including nihilism) with certainty is thus argued to be a coping device. I can buy that, but I'd argue if this latter definition is accepted, it can really only be called a true cope (i.e., one that assuages anxiety) for suicidal depressives and those who feel like utter failures (to the expectations of their respective in-group/society). For most people not struggling in deep recesses of suffering due to unfortunate circumstances, the notion of eternal oblivion and ultimate meaninglessness is the single most psychologically tormenting and anxiety-inducing thought known (hence why existential crisis is a thing when its likelihood is seriously confronted)... if anything, it would be the anti-cope IMO

Explain.

Cope, in the context of this thread, refers to any cognition that ignores or distracts one from confronting death anxiety. I've seen the (very rare) argument that nihilism is cope before (e.g., @blickpall argued this -- and, interestingly, so has professional charlatan Jordan Peterson), but it's generally predicated on the idea that any cognition that assuages any anxiety in general (and not just death anxiety) = cope. Since most anxiety results from uncertainty, the belief in anything (including nihilism) with certainty is thus argued to be a coping device. I can buy that, but I'd argue if this latter definition is accepted, it can really only be called a true cope (i.e., one that assuages anxiety) for suicidal depressives and those who feel like utter failures (to the expectations of their respective in-group/society). For most people not struggling in deep recesses of suffering due to unfortunate circumstances, the notion of eternal oblivion and ultimate meaninglessness is the single most psychologically tormenting and anxiety-inducing thought known (hence why existential crisis is a thing when its likelihood is seriously confronted)... if anything, it would be the anti-cope IMO
Just like any belief system, it's about your interpretation and implementation. I argue(d) against apathy and inaction which is justified by nihilism, not nihilism itself. It's also important to make the distinction between empirical meaning and attributed meaning. Life may not have any empirical meaning (unless, your existence somehow contributes to the discovery of immortality for humans, or some other technological advancement that allows us to escape our galactic fate, I guess - at which point the nihilistic premise will change drastically). However, life can have attributed meaning. Just because everything is going to end at some point in the future, does not mean that life in the present can't have meaning. While we can theorize and imagine and understand the "futility" of it all, a human lifespan is brief, and I think it makes sense to base your evaluations of "meaning" to things that fall within that timeframe, give or take a few. Context is important, in my opinion.

Interesting.

Not something I've heard of, but I'll take a look.

Very legit. Everything is a cope.

TMT is based on Ernest Becker's work.
I put down "The Denial of Death" a few months ago because I'm not 100% familiar or sold on psychoanalysis. If I had to pick a camp, I's say I'm closer to a jungian. That being said, I fully intend to finish it once I've better familiarized myself with some of the arguments. It's just that... sometimes things like "the castrated beast that is the mother" and the usual Freud things that turn others off a little can be hard to approach.

Profound apathy and indifference towards everything given the ultimate reality of our existence
That's why I have trouble moving on from Schopenhauer. It's really hard to say it any clearer. Maybe Mainländer, but us anglophones don't know 90% of what he really had to say.