Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Is learning Ancient Greek a nice cope?

ADHD_cel

ADHD_cel

Vita fortuna est; aut eam habest aut ea carest.
★★★★★
The alphabet scares me ngl
Should be pretty similar to the Latin alphabet. Nothing to worry too much about, it's not like it's Chinese or anything

BC2CE087 32E4 438C 8157 EA7CB82769FA

Warrior Names Revealed on Ancient Greek Vases

View: https://youtu.be/zmQLawAJnr4

Greeks are really the peak of culture, everyone is a little apprehensive of stealing from them cos they were le dirty idolaters who found muscular young men pretty, but everyone is doomed to steal from them: the Romans loved Greek culture, Christianity is heavily influenced by Greek philosophy (obviously even the New Testament is in Greek), Thomas Aquinas loved his Aristotle, Muslims preserved, translated and commented their texts like crazy, Jews who literally equated Greek philosophy to heresy (אפיקורוס epikoros (from Epicurus) = heretic) also ended up borrowing from them like Maimonides etc. etc. everyone loves their Greeks but everyone is a little shy about it, so no doubt the language is cool af as far as culture goes
I don't know much Greek, I studied it (Biblical Greek) for like two months before giving up, so that's my experience, but I know people who learned it and apparently it's terribly difficult
like Hebrew (which I know) is maybe a bit difficult because it's very vague (Biblical Hebrew, that is) but overall it's a Toki Pona ass language with very simple grammar, Greek is difficult because it's allegedly precise af and riddled with grammar rules, allegedly Latin on steroids
you also need to remember that Ancient Greek of Homer is different from Biblical Koine, if I went for Greek, I'd go for Koine starting with (cos Koine also varied, tho it's the late standardized form) Biblical Greek
it all depends on your motivations, how motivated you are, your experience as a language learner etc. from what I've heard and my initial impression, it's a very difficult language in terms of grammar (it is a little easier in terms of vocabulary, you get these sweet cognates unlike with Hebrew)
if you want precisely Greek for whatever reason, yeah, go for it
if you want Greek as a Biblical language, I'd personally recommend Hebrew first but it depends on your interests, obviously
if you want Greek as a classical language, I'd recommend Latin (I know some) as it seems easier and is even richer in terms of pure number of texts (you also get Medieval and later texts; Greek lived and evolved unlike Latin), but obviously it depends on your area on interest
if you want Ancient Greek as just a language to pick up, I'd recommend something easier, but if you're interested in Greek culture, yeah, sure
in the end your success in language learning depends mostly on your motivation, the relative difficulty of a language doesn't matter because you'll spend years studying it and memorizing grammar tables is just a tiny portion of this time, in the end choose what makes you motivated

Last edited: