Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Is SM64 a bad game?

Y

yazcolder

Joe-man
I want ya'll opinions on SM64, but lets be real I will not care tbh I just want your opinions.

I think that a lot of classic games were considered better than they actually are only because there weren't really other options back then. The last time I tried to revisit some of my childhood games I realized just how easily entertained I was.

the graphics suk even for the era but other than that, great game

I think that a lot of classic games were considered better than they actually are only because there weren't really other options back then. The last time I tried to revisit some of my childhood games I realized just how easily entertained I was.
You ever try to watch over an old TV series, a lot of them had shitty pacing but it was the best you had at the time and you never experienced anything better

Tried to watch over the "Angel" TV series (Buffy The Vampire Slayer) spin off

Boring as fuck, could not get past episode one, its dry as hell

I don't even know how I was able to watch that shit

I'm afraid to try and watch Young Hercules, Xena Warrior Princess or Charmed now, because I'll ruin the shows for myself :feelskek:

It's a solid 3D platformer and very advanced for its time.

That being said my preference from that era was Sonic Adventure 2.

In fact I still place SA2 in my top 3 games ever made :)

I want ya'll opinions on SM64, but lets be real I will not care tbh I just want your opinions.
Like all 3D Mario games it is total and complete shit.

Sean Malstrom an incredible genius level thinker and blogger about Nintendo and the videogame industry in general also holds this opinion and points out factual data that backs it up which is that gamers far and away prefer Mario to be in 2D format which is reflected by the vastly higher sales figures for 2D Mario games not to mention it was 2D Mario that caused Mario to become a cultural phenomenon having cereals, cartoons, a movie and even an early morning children’s show with the late pro wrestling superstar Captain Lou Albano hosting it in character as Mario ie I believe he and another man portraying Luigi were the hosts of the cartoon.

Also whenever late night talk shows do a Mario videogame segment it’s typically almost always using ancient classic 2D Mario games instead of 3D Mario that no one cares about.

Despite 2D Mario practically printing Nintendo money all by itself (even the half assed titles like the NSMB games that the company’s heart isn’t fully into creating) Nintendo still refuses to abandon 3D because according to Malstrom, Miyamoto and Nintendo have a sick, sick obsession with 3D and Malstrom feels there is much bitterness within the company about the gamers refusal to fully embrace 3D Mario and make it as popular and well sold if not greater than the 2D titles.

Malstrom also points out that one of the reasons the company has been releasing those Mario Maker games is because it’s extremely hard work to make a truly epic and quality videogame that can withstand the test of time. Also since Nintendo and Miyamoto are so bitter and probably don’t even enjoy making their lazily created NSMB series Mario Maker in a way could give them a valid excuse to perhaps never themselves have to make a proper 2D Mario title again under the justification that they already gave the gamers all the tools to do it themselves. :feelsUgh:

Last edited:
Heavily outdated game
Like all 3D Mario games it is total and complete shit.

Sean Malstrom an incredible genius level thinker and blogger about Nintendo and the videogame industry in general also holds this opinion and points out factual data that backs it up which is that gamers far and away prefer Mario to be in 2D format which is reflected by the vastly higher sales figures for 2D Mario games not to mention it was 2D Mario that caused Mario to become a cultural phenomenon having cereals, cartoons, a movie and even an early morning children’s show with the late pro wrestling superstar Captain Lou Albano hosting it in character as Mario ie I believe he and another man portraying Luigi were the hosts of the cartoon.

Also whenever late night talk shows do a Mario videogame segment it’s typically almost always using ancient classic 2D Mario games instead of 3D Mario that no one cares about.

Despite 2D Mario practically printing Nintendo money all by itself (even the half assed titles like the NSMB games that the company’s heart isn’t fully into creating) Nintendo still refuses to abandon 3D because according to Malstrom, Miyamoto and Nintendo have a sick, sick obsession with 3D and Malstrom feels there is much bitterness within the company about the gamers refusal to fully embrace 3D Mario and make it as popular and well sold if not greater than the 2D titles.

Malstrom also points out that one of the reasons the company has been releasing those Mario Maker games is because it’s extremely hard work to make a truly epic and quality videogame that can withstand the test of time. Also since Nintendo and Miyamoto are so bitter and probably don’t even enjoy making their lazily created NSMB series Mario Maker in a way could give them a valid excuse to perhaps never themselves have tonmake a proper 2D Mario title again under the justification that they already gave the gamers all the tools to do it themselves. :feelsUgh:
Its interesting how old 2d titles have stood the test of time better than 3d ones

Super Mario 64?
I'd say concept is extremely good (perfectly executed in both Galaxy games), graphics are bad but they have their charm, difficulty and level design is just about right, the problem lies within the gameplay
mechanics are clunky af and controls are often an unresponsive mess, so if you're not used to them you can easily fall to a pit or mess up your wall jumps
the camara is complete and utter outdated garbage, literally every single modern triple A game heavily outclasses this one when it comes to the angles and fixing camera view (dedsrs why did they even implement this option if it was going to be useless anyway)

Last edited:
If you think jumping around collecting coins or stars or whatever is fun then go do it, but I have never found the appeal to mario or anything nintendo shits out.

I wouldn't call it bad, but it's certainly overrated. It sure did some things on the technological side that were very innovative at the time, but that doesn't mean the game nor the gameplay itself was any sort of masterpiece.

I like it. I’m playing and working on obtaining 100% completion in the 3D All Stars version of the game and I love the sound it makes when you get a star to appear.

It's pretty good. I had the DS port of the game which is a bit different from the original since you also play as Yoshi, Luigi and Wario instead of just Mario.
I honestly prefer older (from before around 2010) games over newer ones tbh.

Yes, the graphics of these older games are dated and even in the '80s and '90s there was a lot of crappy shovelware games. But the more memorable ones (like Super Mario, Metroid, Pokémon, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Mega Man, Sonic, etc.) that are pretty good, even better than most current games.

The cartoony aesthetics of early 3D games and 2D pixel platformers and RPGs are better than the more modern games IMO.

I also find modern games to be stale. They all seem the same to me and they ruin the experience more by including microtransactions and loot boxes as a way to milk money off of players on top of having DLC to complete the entire game. Back then with the few games that got popular, the developers put in a lot more effort into quality and when you bought the game you were buying the full experience. And now with digital gaming platforms Steam and stuff it isn't the same experience as owning a physical copy that you get to keep all your saves in.

This is the main reason why I don't game anymore and why I don't care to buy expensive PC equipment for that. I have an oldish computer that I can play old Nintendo and Sega games via emulator for time to time.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few (mostly indie) games that look fun like Celeste and Cuphead. But again, I don't game as much anymore since I have other interests now.

the graphics suk even for the era but other than that, great game
Yeah, the biggest reason the graphics suck is the low res textures. One of the biggest limitations of the N64 is the slow RAM so the textures needed to be compact to load on time

Never been a Nintendo guy. I tried it a bit but was bored quickly. I heard that it has super competitive and try hard speedrun scene though.

donkey kong 64 was much better

I like it because of the abstract 3D concept. I like the clunky enemy models, like the spiders, the shy guys and the moving boxes that crush you in the pyramid level. I also like the texturing they used. The controls and camera angles are shit though and I like the fact you can its an explore able game. I don't like any other games other then paper mario alough I have not played any modern mario games. The spherical flat shading in a turn off in modern games today, its like none likes to use transparency.

iconic for its time

It's on my list but I'm still playing 2D platformers like Super Mario World and currently Donkey Kong Country, after not gaming for decades. These '90s games are HARD. But fun.

I like it. I’m playing and working on obtaining 100% completion in the 3D All Stars version of the game and I love the sound it makes when you get a star to appear.
I now have 100% completion in the 3D All Stars version of Super Mario 64