Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Story Mathcoping is a good deterrent to brain rot

Fallenleaves

Fallenleaves

Watch out for those dogs, those evildoers, those m
-
I'm average iq at best and I've never been good at math my whole life. But I still try to learn and do math with help from YouTube and textbooks. :feelshmm:

I've been going to the library on a daily basis and I don't plan on stopping till I'm done with the basics. :feelsstudy:

I don't like or love doing this but it's still a good cope. :bigbrain::bigbrain::bigbrain::bigbrain:

better smoke weed play guitar :smonk:

Total: 10 (Incels: 9, Bluepillers: 1)

Turns out that math is also a soy deterrent :feelsokman:

Can't find motivation to study. I never did when I had exams and I still passed them so I've grown lazy.

Can't find motivation to study. I never did when I had exams and I still passed them so I've grown lazy.
Based, I'm doing it mainly because I'm shit at everything else, nothing more nothing less

Math lessons are shittily optimized for learning.

Once I re-notated all the math nomenclature to words that made sense, were applicable and less abstract, then I understood it better than the academic 'shorthand' that isn't compatible with how I learn for some reason.

I have a High IQ for what it's worth.

Based, I'm doing it mainly because I'm shit at everything else, nothing more nothing less
Yeah but the school system has fucked up my brain. Everything was too easy.
Math lessons are shittily optimized for learning.

Once I re-notated all the math nomenclature to words that made sense, were applicable and less abstract, then I understood it better than the academic 'shorthand' that isn't compatible with how I learn for some reason.

I have a High IQ for what it's worth.
True. I don't have trouble imagining the concepts but it feels like mathematicians try to intentionally sabotage you.

Fuckin ricecel af cope, mang :feelswhat:

Do you have the same trouble with programming languages or different "human" languages? I always thought of mathematical notation as simply a very different type of language with far more consistent rules. Admittedly tho formal logic can be tough to parse.

Do you have the same trouble with programming languages or different "human" languages?
No. I learned some Javascript and am conversational in German.

I always thought of mathematical notation as simply a very different type of language with far more consistent rules.
I think math was too formal and impersonal and I didn't care enough about it to learn it the formal way, not that it mattered in University, but I failed a few FRQ (free-response-questions) in highschool because I didn't show part of my work and didn't mention whatever theorem was being used, by name, despite reciting the definition and having the correct answer (40% of the test was basically vocabulary + show your work). I think those parts are included so women get better grades.

Admittedly tho formal logic can be tough to parse.
Formal logic is hard to parse but easy to understand when you break it down, professors only explain it the 'proper' way with the notation and nomenclature. If you rewrote it in 'common language' I think most high school students could pass a proofs class.

I failed a few FRQ (free-response-questions) in highschool because I didn't show part of my work and didn't mention whatever theorem was being used, by name, despite reciting the definition and having the correct answer (40% of the test was basically vocabulary + show your work). I think those parts are included so women get better grades.
I personally am of the opinion that citing theorems and showing sufficient steps is quite important. In high school it's less important, but imagine reading a math paper and trying to fill in the gaps only to find out the whole thing is bogus. I've been there. Even master students studying math sometimes try to justify going from A to B by simply inserting fallacious judicious guessing. Again, I've seen plenty of such BS.
Formal logic is hard to parse but easy to understand when you break it down, professors only explain it the 'proper' way with the notation and nomenclature. If you rewrote it in 'common language' I think most high school students could pass a proofs class.
Not using symbology gets unwieldy very quickly. I think modern mathematicians have struck a reasonable balance.

I personally am of the opinion that citing theorems and showing sufficient steps is quite important. In high school it's less important, but imagine reading a math paper and trying to fill in the gaps only to find out the whole thing is bogus. I've been there. Even master students studying math sometimes try to justify going from A to B by simply inserting fallacious judicious guessing. Again, I've seen plenty of such BS.

Not using symbology gets unwieldy very quickly. I think modern mathematicians have struck a reasonable balance.
The only theorem I've used is the squeeze rule jfl

It Is Truly Difficult To Live With Such An Enormous IQ
Moronism
Png

#183567345Saturday, February 13, 2016 11:26 PM CST
Hello adolescent schoolchildren. Lately, I have explored the territory surrounding my place of dwelling. And during each individual expedition, I noted the magnificent geometrical patterns throughout nature. The mere nodes of a single leaf bind together to form often semi-curved yet white, "embedded" lines. It is beautiful. Upon returning home, I thought excessively about the situation. And then I came to a horrid and unfortunate realization: The vast majority of civilians are incapable of recognizing simple mathematical patterns within nature. I was repulsed by that truthful realization. Mathematics is one of the fundamental components of abstraction. Recognizing the connection of concepts via mathematical knowledge is imperative to understanding the functionality of a system. Basic Calculus describes sequences. Yet, individuals of average intelligence cannot understand simple abstraction without a calculator(And calculators focus only on blatant computation, as computers are computational devices), which they can very rarely utilize efficiently. It is horrible. Nevertheless, returning to the main subject itself, I often displace myself to my local library to review scientific/mathematical books, and determine whether they are fit to be replenished within the finite collection. After analysis, I subsequently inform the menial laborers of my decision. It frequently baffles me that individuals such as Gilbert Strang(Who feigns supposed knowledge of basic Linear Algebra principles) are glorified by the employees there. Gilbert lacks sufficient knowledge of the subject he is speaking about. As does the majority of MIT instructors. They are novices who have gained supposed "credibility" via media manipulation. Linear Algebra is much more abstractly-concrete and fundamental than what Gilbert or his colleagues can convey it to be. Strang's "Linear Algebra" is successful only because of pseudo-pedagogy. Allow me to elaborate in a much more humble manner: I have attained exactly 157 IQ units. My spatial-reasoning greatly exceeds that of the typical individual, and this is evident by the many physics engines that I constructed on Unix-based systems using only C and SDL as my available utility tool. Yet, my proficiency in geometrical/trigonometrical manipulation is a mere thousandth of my overall capabilities. On various occasions, I have also solved many abstract, post-PhD level problems within the ranges of number-theory/model-theory. It is often distressing to visit Internet forums to discuss my intelligence level, given that reference to basic philosophical principles quickly confuses those who have a lower IQ than I. Strangely enough, those same individuals cannot comprehend basic vocabulary words, and they frequently mention the use of a dictionary and/or thesaurus. Why, a dictionary and/or thesaurus is redundant to understand such simplistic terminology. Well, I suppose that I should continue development of my memory-storage algorithm. I intend to simulate OS functionality using RBX.Lua, which should be relatively easy using modules. I can only hope that society stops patronizing individuals such as myself because of our superior intelligence. It is truly terrible.
Re: my school decided it'd be a good idea to give me two math
Moronism
Png

#181273371Friday, January 08, 2016 5:22 AM CST
Why do you complain incessantly over the difficulty of simple subjects such as algebra and geometry? Solving such a trivial issue is as simple as disabling your electronics and drafting a page of accurate answers. Do not worry though, such knowledge will be very useful.
Re: my school decided it'd be a good idea to give me two math
Moronism
Png

#181273471Friday, January 08, 2016 5:28 AM CST
"@moronism nice assuming that i use my phone/computer while doing homework : )" Ah, that explains the premise quite well. You are experiencing difficulty in computing simple components of algebra, yes? Perhaps you would recognize greater results if you ceased with your reliance on a calculator.

Simple Algebra Discussion
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313038Monday, March 14, 2016 6:52 AM CDT
Hello Off-Topic. The purpose of this thread is to discuss basic algebraic principles. Equation discussion is not permitted. Only mathematical purity is allowed.
Re: Simple Algebra Discussion
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313471Monday, March 14, 2016 7:16 AM CDT
"OP, that's not Algebra" Are you truly certain about that? All algebras are derived solely from basic Set-Theory principles. The "Elementary Algebra" commonly used is a distortion of true mathematical progression. Linear Algebra merely describes the properties of matrix structures within a given set of "vector space." It is nothing more than the pleasure of groups and rings.
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313548Monday, March 14, 2016 7:20 AM CDT
"OP, I think you searched Google for what Linear Algebra is. No." Ah, no matter. Let us disregard any of the futile principles of "Linear Algebra" and focus on the superior form of mathematical reasoning. You should consider Group-Theory. It is much more abstract and entertaining.
Re: How easy is Math?
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185348927Monday, March 14, 2016 8:11 PM CDT
Disregarding your assignment, it depends on the type of mathematical concepts that you are working with. Equations in elementary "Algebra" differ significantly from groups proposed in Group-Theory.

Simple Algebra Discussion
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313038Monday, March 14, 2016 6:52 AM CDT
Hello Off-Topic. The purpose of this thread is to discuss basic algebraic principles. Equation discussion is not permitted. Only mathematical purity is allowed.
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313471Monday, March 14, 2016 7:16 AM CDT
"OP, that's not Algebra" Are you truly certain about that? All algebras are derived solely from basic Set-Theory principles. The "Elementary Algebra" commonly used is a distortion of true mathematical progression. Linear Algebra merely describes the properties of matrix structures within a given set of "vector space." It is nothing more than the pleasure of groups and rings.
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185313548Monday, March 14, 2016 7:20 AM CDT
"OP, I think you searched Google for what Linear Algebra is. No." Ah, no matter. Let us disregard any of the futile principles of "Linear Algebra" and focus on the superior form of mathematical reasoning. You should consider Group-Theory. It is much more abstract and entertaining.
Re: How easy is Math?
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185348927Monday, March 14, 2016 8:11 PM CDT
Disregarding your assignment, it depends on the type of mathematical concepts that you are working with. Equations in elementary "Algebra" differ significantly from groups proposed in Group-Theory.
Tfw you're brutally iqmogged by intellau

Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185501853Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:22 PM CDT
"tl;dr" Nonsensical statement. Surely you enjoy logic-reasoning as well?
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185521709Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:47 PM CDT
Let us utilize a combined logical operator to signify the "OR" statement. Given that OR is the inverse of AND, "~^" should suffice excellently.
thediamondlava
Png

#185521780Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:48 PM CDT
"Logic reasoning" I WAS SUMMONED?!
Obscurely
Png

#185521782Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:48 PM CDT
you, single handedly, created a need for a maths forum

Off-Topic Logic Game

Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#185501144Wednesday, March 16, 2016 11:07 PM CDT
Greetings, Off-Topic. On this particular occasion, I have decided to have an entertaining discussion with all of you by composing a simple game based on logical-reasoning. Firstly, while utilizing mathematics, we have objective statements such as "x = 5" Those particular type of statements are properly known as "predicates", given that they equate to either the Boolean values of true and/or false. within the above premise, it merely defines the quantity that variable 'x' represents. Therefore, it is "true" predicate. Although I used "x = 5", we could use symbolic notation such as this: E(x) = 5 Where uppercase "E" refers to the word "Equal", and the input variable 'x' receives the quantity described on the opposite side of the "=" operand. --------------------------------------- Recognizing the above objective explanation, the goal of the game is rather basic: to derive logical expressions to be interpreted by other users. I have devised a minimal list of logical symbols below: "-->" - The logical "if-then" operator. "If certain cookies are delicious, then some grapes are bluish"(Note that the premise predicate and the conclusion predicate do not necessarily need to be related. They merely need to have an obtainable Boolean value. '~' - The logical "NOT" operator. It merely negates "true"/"false" Boolean predicates into the opposite Boolean value. ~"I decided to traverse the area" becomes "I decided not to traverse the area." "^" - The logical AND operator. "(1+1 = 2) ^ (2 + 2 = 4) --> (5 + 5) == 10", which is true, given that "1 + 1 = 2 ^ 2 + 2 = 4" are both (true ^ true) respectively. Disregarding all of the other logical operators for the current moment, this is a sample expression that I have devised below: Suppose that we have variables 'a' and 'b': a = 100 b = 50 Firstly, let us define a predicate to determine whether the first value is a factor of the second value: R(a,b) = (a % b) This will retrieve the remainder of the division operation "a/b", using the difference between 'a' and 'b' as a referent. Likewise, R(b,a) would also retrieve the remainder of the division operation "b/a", using the difference between 'b' and 'a' as a referent. If I had an expression such as this: (R(a,b) = 0) ^ (R(b,a) = 0) It would be an expected case of a true/false pair. This is due to the mere fact that the (100 % 50) does not have a remainder, whereas (50/100) does indeed have a remainder of fifty itself. Hopefully the above descriptions provides a rather wholesome and otherwise precise discussion involving mathematical logic.

Tfw you're brutally iqmogged by intellau

No. I was sluggish and not on stimulants at that age.

Re: The ol' "something can't come from nothing" therefore god
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184830717Saturday, March 05, 2016 7:39 PM CST
"You didn't really refute it you just said it was close minded tho" How you perceive and define "existence" determines the validity of the statement. For example, do you perceive a set of molecules with a cardinality lesser than one-hundred as being nothingness? If so, then the molecules can "exist" in their own respective "space" without existing in your clearly defined object space.

Literally failed my exam yesterday jfl
Oh shit I remember now, you're the guy that posted a thread about being addicted to this site, thus neglecting your studies

Who Exactly Is This "Heartstrings" Individual?
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184568170Monday, February 29, 2016 8:25 PM CST
Well? Who is "Heartstrings" exactly? This user frequently creates threads conveying his/her support for Apple products. Other individuals who use brands such as "Microsoft" or "Samsung" are perceived as "idiotic." Furthermore, the individual has some sort of obsession with Ad-Hominem/"grasping for straws." He/She regularly attempts to mitigate debates in his/her favor by making references to irrelevant characteristics of opposing individuals. Why does this individual continue to behave in such a repulsively-narcissistic manner? It is quite intriguing.
Re: How Do You Use Unicode Characters In ROBLOX?
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184560610Monday, February 29, 2016 6:39 PM CST
Visit a search engine and search the term "Unicode Table." The Unicode table will provide you with an entire list of Unicode characters to copy/paste for use on the forum. As for the actual game itself, you can only use ASCII characters, which are considered to be a subset of Unicode.
Re: opinions on fat people
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184551810Monday, February 29, 2016 4:15 PM CST
Obese individuals are quite repulsive. It is their fault for not attempting to alleviate their issue. " " This also applies, in a slightly different way, to politics.
Re: Simple Question
Unintelligent_Anon
Png

#184551539Monday, February 29, 2016 4:11 PM CST
This question depends on the type of brackets that you are referring to. The vast majority of brackets are multi-purpose in use. "()" is commonly used to transfer execution signals to functions. "{}" is commonly used to denote a "table" of stored data. "[]" typically represents table-key indexing. The uses vary significantly depending on the context.

Total: 10 (Incels: 9, Bluepillers: 1)

Turns out that math is also a soy deterrent :feelsokman:
good advice is bad material for IT reddit karma farming

YouTube is good cope for learning basics of complicated stuff but once basics are cleared a textbook is much better.