Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Old school FPS games hit differently

blackedpiller

blackedpiller

SPICcel
★★★★★
Honestly been playing doom 1-2, 64 and quake and duke nukem alien trilogy for ps1 and watching vids of other fps games like shadow warrior, blood, and Hexen.

Honestly these games hit different from modern shit, the old shit had comedy, good map layout, exciting and engaging gameplay, good way to use/learn strategy, and looks appealing due to the pixel art design of the map and enemies

What's your guys favorite and do you have anything to add?

Agreed shrek. I like doom

Duke Nukem is based

Thank you for calling them "old school fps" instead of ... urghh.... >boomer shooter

I'm older than almost everyone here and I've been playing '90s games since the '90s and I prefer modern games. Not the AAA modern games mind you, but there's so many high quality indie games that it doesn't even compare to the poor choice we had in the '90s.

The old games were definitely more like a piece of art. Nowadays studios just make muh realistic graphics and call it a day.
Also back then it was pure gameplay, no microtransaction bullshit. I definitely enjoyed playing Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny tho

I'm older than almost everyone here and I've been playing '90s games since the '90s and I prefer modern games. Not the AAA modern games mind you, but there's so many high quality indie games that it doesn't even compare to the poor choice we had in the '90s.
They have pros but why specifically

Which are the indie ones your referring to?

Yeah quite A cringe phrase by normies
Plus doesnt even make sense. No boomer grew up playing this game. Boomers are the people blaming these games for mass shooters, they are not the playerbase

Brutal Doom 64
Blood
Duke Nukem

This is my holy trifecta of boomer shooters. Fuck Quake, even shit like Hexen is better. Although, I will say: Quake mission packs 1 and 2 are pretty good, especially number 2. If you haven't played them, you should.

That being said, an underrated, widely unexplored, and a very interesting old school shooter which seemingly never makes anyone's lists (including mine) is Strife. It has unique RPG elements and gameplay similar to Hexen but takes place in a sci-fi setting with an overarching storyline, quests, dialogue, and a fully explorable world (similar to Deus Ex's levels). And, in the same vein, is highly influential and influenced (notably) Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, and some other games. Which you can definitely feel when playing the game if you've played either Deus Ex or Half-Life 2.

Strife is definitely worth checking out if you haven't played it.

Plus doesnt even make sense. No boomer grew up playing this game. Boomers are the people blaming these games for mass shooters, they are not the playerbase
Ikr, normie logic, boomer=old

Brutal Doom 64
Blood
Duke Nukem

This is my holy trifecta of boomer shooters. Fuck Quake, even shit like Hexen is better. Although, I will say: Quake mission packs 1 and 2 are pretty good, especially number 2. If you haven't played them, you should.

That being said, an underrated, widely unexplored, and a very interesting old school shooter which seemingly never makes anyone's lists (including mine) is Strife. It has unique RPG elements and gameplay similar to Hexen but takes place in a sci-fi setting with an overarching storyline, quests, dialogue, and a fully explorable world (similar to Deus Ex's levels). And, in the same vein, is highly influential and influenced (notably) Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, and some other games. Which you can definitely feel when playing the game if you've played either Deus Ex or Half-Life 2.

Strife is definitely worth checking out if you haven't played it.
Coo thanks

Yeah quite A cringe phrase by normies
Zoomers specifically. LOL at the thought of generation Beta (LOL over) calling the skinner boxes normies sink their earthly hours into Zoomer games.
I used to make maps for GZ Doom, but I gave up when I got blackpilled lol. After waging I sometimes check doomworld for new intresting maps.
Personally I like games from the very late nineties and the early 2000s.
Gaming is so shit because it got popular then it got business. What happened to art being art? Even indies are kinda shit today.

No such thing as Microtransactions or DLC that ripped you off regarding the 90's and early noughties shooters.

Love it.

I have seen a rise in modern retro styled fps games. Ion fury, Boltgun and Dusk to name a few. Have you tried any of them out yourself?

Comanche. Delta Force I. Delta Force II. > than anything else

my retarded brain can't figure out their overdesigned levels so i got lost a lot of times and gave up
after a couple of levels gameplay becomes really boring since they keep spamming same enemies over and over again and you have all guns already in your arsenal so nothing new will be happening. Gave up after this or the next level i dunno
Boltgun Win64 Shipping 0JTMjQ9oK0

it was fun from the start to the finish, great ost too
View: https://youtu.be/DKCrkg7Kcdc?t=61

my retarded brain can't figure out their overdesigned levels so i got lost a lot of times and gave up

after a couple of levels gameplay becomes really boring since they keep spamming same enemies over and over again and you have all guns already in your arsenal so nothing new will be happening. Gave up after this or the next level i dunnoView attachment 1045369

it was fun from the start to the finish, great ost too
View: https://youtu.be/DKCrkg7Kcdc?t=61

Glad to hear you liked one of the games. Honestly I gave up on Boltgun too. Mostly because I played the switch version that suffered from performance issues.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was my first Shooter ive ever played. Still my favorite

I hope it at least gets a well deserved remaster.
Along with an extra expansion pack along with Portal to Praeteus.

I heard the game is hard as hell though.