Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Update on my downsized software programmer friend

W

WizardofSoda

Overlord
★★★★★
Hes on welfare now. He has been applying for software jobs. But every job there are 100's of good, experienced programmers applying. As the mass white collar downsizing continues every month there are more unemployed programmers trying to find a job. Since companies are all downsizing there are few open jobs. In this area also small software companies are shutting down as the venture capital dries up and software industry is consolidating.

Some downsized programmers he knows they aren't able to pay their mortgage, the house insurance or property taxes. They think it will take 2+ years to actually get foreclosed. So they just don't make the payments anymore.

My friend said hes not going to spend years to retrain in another profession and start at the bottom. Not going to put years into a business that has a 1% chance of success. So either one day software programming will pick up or he will just stay on welfare until his retirement then go on the government retirement pension for poor people.

Better NEET than a dead cog in a system full of mice

That's crazy. I would have thought it'd be the HR roasts that suffer the most from downsizing, and maybe they do, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be so bad for the actual programmers.

I've been spending my free time on web3 programming lately. I advise other codemonkeycels to do the same.

Yea there's not much money in it now but there will be pretty soon. Better to learn it now and build up your portfolio before it gets mass adopted in the years to come.

Absolutely brutal! You can STEMmaxx hard and still find yourself poor and on the verge of homelessness. :feelsrope::feelsrope:

Better NEET than a dead cog in a system full of mice
I've been spending my free time on web3 programming lately. I advise other codemonkeycels to do the same.

Yea there's not much money in it now but there will be pretty soon. Better to learn it now and build up your portfolio before it gets mass adopted in the years to come.
That's crazy. I would have thought it'd be the HR roasts that suffer the most from downsizing, and maybe they do, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be so bad for the actual programmers.
Absolutely brutal! You can STEMmaxx hard and still find yourself poor and on the verge of homelessness. :feelsrope::feelsrope:

I always said to him what happens as the software productivity tools get better and better needing less programmers to do the same amount of work, and as we write the software like the apps and then don't need to write it a second time. Now for every app there is the winning software that is good and mature software. So all the other companies trying to make a similar app shut down. Thats what happened to my friend.

Last edited:
The mass white collar downsizing that began last year and is continuing its happening across all the white collar professions. Managers, secretaries, HR, accountants, engineers, programmers. Even buildings guys are being downsized as when you don't need as much office buildings you don't need as many of them.

Kodemonke despises web3

The mass white collar downsizing that began last year and is continuing its happening across all the white collar professions. Managers, secretaries, HR, accountants, engineers, programmers. Even buildings guys are being downsized as when you don't need as much office buildings you don't need as many of them.
Gigaover for the economy. :feelsrope::feelsrope:

Thanks for the advice. Are there any specific languages or stuff to learn for that? I don’t know much about it.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any specific languages or stuff to learn for that? I don’t know much about it.
Look up blockchain development languages. I would develop on the Solana blockchain but any top10 blockchain is good really...