Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Where do you stand on the philosophy of mathematics

Title

• Logicism

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Intuitionism

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Formalism

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Platonism

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
zephyr

zephyr

UK Wizardcel
Logicism

A philosophical system marked by special emphasis on logic.

Intuitionism

A form of cognitivism that holds that moral statements can be known to be true or false immediately through a kind of rational intuition.

Formalism

In the philosophy of mathematics, formalism is the view that holds that statements of mathematics and logic can be considered to be statements about the consequences of the manipulation of strings (alphanumeric sequences of symbols, usually as equations) using established manipulation rules. A central idea of formalism "is that mathematics is not a body of propositions representing an abstract sector of reality, but is much more akin to a game, bringing with it no more commitment to an ontology of objects or properties than ludo or chess."[1] According to formalism, the truths expressed in logic and mathematics are not about numbers, sets, or triangles or any other coextensive subject matter — in fact, they aren't "about" anything at all.

Platonism

Platonism about mathematics (or mathematical platonism) is the metaphysical view that there are abstract mathematical objects whose existence is independent of us and our language, thought, and practices. Just as electrons and planets exist independently of us, so do numbers and sets. And just as statements about electrons and planets are made true or false by the objects with which they are concerned and these objects’ perfectly objective properties, so are statements about numbers and sets. Mathematical truths are therefore discovered, not invented.

Last edited:
I think math is fucking stupid for the most part once it gets past pre algebra

why the fuck would i need to find the circumference of a circle irl?

I know its just a concept to make your brain bigger so you can solve future irl problems that have nothing to do with math. But still

I am too low IQ to understand those rambles.
Lmao yes, who the fuck decided it was cool to mix numbers with letters jfl
That shit is probably the fetish of some autist, remember these jews are forcing you to develop an autistic kink that will make you more of a pussy repellent
I know its just a concept to make your brain bigger so you can solve future irl problems that have nothing to do with math. But still
No, it's a thing that was invented to torture low IQ people and for brain moggers to flex on them.

I guess I’m more of a logician but inevitably my intuitive side gets ahead

Formalism, I guess.

I come from more of a physics background.

Just never want to engineer or design or invent something and need to figure out the amount of material you need to machine it, bro

Where do I stand?

My philosophy of mathematics is "I'm no longer in school, I don't have to think about this shit anymore"

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back