Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Do you like retro or retro-style games?

Retro?

• Total voters
Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
I love games that were released some time before I was born.

But I often gravitate back to early '90s gaming. I can't work out if it's just nostalgia. lol :)

Yes. Late 8bit to 16bit era mogs.

I like good games

Oldest game I completed is A Link to the past tbh I played older games but never got to see the end credits.

Yes. Late 8bit to 16bit era mogs.

Yeah for me I guess it's mostly about action-packed gameplay, although I also like good music.

By going for simpler or retro-style games I can cut the downloads, updates, required specs, price tag etc down to a fraction of what they would have been, and still get a really fun game!

Plus, retro games LOOK like games! I guess I prefer something that looks artistic and interesting, as opposed to just realism.

I love retro. :panties:

Thank the lord for emulation. :hax:

Yea I've played quite a few Genesis games and a few Snes games

I had Sega/Sony when young but played '90s Nintendo the last couple years to see how the other half lived. I've loved it: FF6, DQ5, Chrono Trigger and so on. And platformers like SM 3/World, Yoshi's Island...

I like when current games try to kind of replicate the retro style, like undertale

I had Sega/Sony when young but played '90s Nintendo the last couple years to see how the other half lived. I've loved it: FF6, DQ5, Chrono Trigger and so on. And platformers like SM 3/World, Yoshi's Island...

Yeah I guess if a game is well made and fun... then it will be enjoyable forever :)

I like when current games try to kind of replicate the retro style, like undertale

Yeah me too. Especially if they put some kind of new spin on it that wouldn't have been possible back then... or at least polish it to a degree that would have been hard to achieve back in the day due to technical limitations.

I bought a retro gaming magazine at the supermarket just now XD

Retro Gamer Sep 2023

I mostly wanted to see how much modern stuff "found its way" into the magazine, or if it was literally just like picking up a copy of a magazine actually released in the '90s!

I was pleased to see it does have some modern stuff in it too!

I love retro and indie but... I don't think I want to literally live in 1993 or something :)

Unless maybe I could get a time machine and go back to that time. MAYBE I'd do that. XD

Since retro is technically anything 20 years or older, I still play a lot of ps2 and ps1 games.

I love games that were released some time before I was born.

But I often gravitate back to early '90s gaming. I can't work out if it's just nostalgia. lol :)
I haven't played much 90's games but i have played quite a bit of ps2 games. I can't stand skyboxes of old games like crash banditkoot in the jungle at night. It gives me such sad vibes for some reason

i don't know if you'd consider the gameboy advanced games retro but they are my favorite

some retro/retro themed games i love

Papers Please
Faith: The Unholy Trinity
DKC
DKC2
Pokemon Red
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team

I haven't played much 90's games but i have played quite a bit of ps2 games. I can't stand skyboxes of old games like crash banditkoot in the jungle at night. It gives me such sad vibes for some reason

Because they bring back memories?

Yeah I guess the sky in some old games was quite clearly a skybox and quite blurry :)

Because they bring back memories?

Yeah I guess the sky in some old games was quite clearly a skybox and quite blurry :)
Playing through old side scrollers and seeing those pixilated skyboxes slide through just messed me for some reason. I guess it is nostalgia but its something else at the same time

Yes usually the arcade retro games

arcade-panorama.jpg

The best of the best

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far - IGN

Playing through old side scrollers and seeing those pixilated skyboxes slide through just messed me for some reason. I guess it is nostalgia but its something else at the same time

Maybe... that it's so surreal and a bit immersion-breaking? Uncanny valley :)

Also sorry for the late reply!

Yes usually the arcade retro games

arcade-panorama.jpg

I agree - they're great! I play them quite a lot, and similar games :)

Also sorry again for late reply. XD

i don't know if you'd consider the gameboy advanced games retro but they are my favorite
Yes, imho the retro era ends around 2005 or 2006. The GBA definitely counts as retro as far as i'm concerned

Yes, imho the retro era ends around 2005 or 2006. The GBA definitely counts as retro as far as i'm concerned

But which consoles are the MOST retro?? :D

I'm thinking Atari 2600 and NES!

magnavox-odyssey.jpg

This one. Magnavox Odyssey

lol I guess I don't mean the oldest I mean... the ones that FEEL the most retro... maybe due to popularity, how iconic they were, how distinctive the graphics or sound is, etc!

CGA graphics feel really retro! C64 sound is also very retro I think :)

lol I guess I don't mean the oldest I mean... the ones that FEEL the most retro... maybe due to popularity, how iconic they were, how distinctive the graphics or sound is, etc!

CGA graphics feel really retro! C64 sound is also very retro I think :)
Oh i see kek. Then yes, you're probably right about the 2600 and (early) NES being the ones that feel the most "retro"

pokémon emerald is still my favourite game to date. i also like donkey kong country 1 & 2 and pokémon red rescue team

pokémon emerald is still my favourite game to date. i also like donkey kong country 1 & 2 and pokémon red rescue team

DKC 2 was really good wasn't it...

I think it was a bit more vibrant and varied than the original.

DKC 2 was really good wasn't it...

I think it was a bit more vibrant and varied than the original.
DKC 2 was my preferred. more vibrant, more enemies, more crazy unique level designs.

i remember fighting with my sister over the gameboy for who could play it. and also playing my gameboy in the back of my moms car as she drove me around as a kid, being oblivious to everything else in the world. such better times

dkc 1 and 2 also had an insanely good soundtrack

View: https://youtu.be/wxAZfLenfa0?si=ywJJEH007-Kf2RU5

View: https://youtu.be/-5rAjOjTGtc?si=NXLdcTpIGfNaTl74

View: https://youtu.be/lndBgOrTWxo?si=p5R75Odrr7jjEstx

DKC 2 was my preferred. more vibrant, more enemies, more crazy unique level designs.

i remember fighting with my sister over the gameboy for who could play it. and also playing my gameboy in the back of my moms car as she drove me around as a kid, being oblivious to everything else in the world. such better times

dkc 1 and 2 also had an insanely good soundtrack

View: https://youtu.be/wxAZfLenfa0?si=ywJJEH007-Kf2RU5

View: https://youtu.be/-5rAjOjTGtc?si=NXLdcTpIGfNaTl74

View: https://youtu.be/lndBgOrTWxo?si=p5R75Odrr7jjEstx

Yeah they did for sure. Rare was so talented in general.

Also yeah the Game Boy versions were really nice considering how weak the hardware was compared to a SNES.

I think I only played the first one though on GB so I might check out a video of the second ^^

Yeah they did for sure. Rare was so talented in general.

Also yeah the Game Boy versions were really nice considering how weak the hardware was compared to a SNES.

I think I only played the first one though on GB so I might check out a video of the second ^^
You should check it out. very good game

I bought a vintage GBA and authentic cartridges for the games and play them still. so nice