Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Do you think the 1980s are the most overrated decade regarding media?

thespanishcel

thespanishcel

Overlord
★★★★★
IMO yes specially when compared to the 70s (cinema) and 90s (cinema, videogames, etc.). While there are some really good 1980s movies it was also a decade full of garbage like cloned slasher films, cloned action films with Schwarzenegger or Stallone and cartoons that were just 24 minute long toy commercials. It was the decade of blockbusters and not all of them were good. Nostalgia plays a big part and boomers and Gen X who were kids to older teens in this decade have put them in a pedestal. For example films like The Goonies unless you watched it when you were younger you wouldn't like it when you're older because it's just your typical children adventures movie.

Also most 1980s videogames have aged terribly unlike other retro systems which still play really well nowadays. For example the original Zelda game on NES nowadays is a chore to play because it's so cryptic and it has very primitive graphics and gameplay. On the other hand A Link to the Past (SNES) still plays super well and if you told me it was a modern game with retro graphics I would believe it. You don't even need a walkthrough to beat it, the game gives you enough clues.

However I have to say that 1980s music was in general really good specially for those who like classic rock and metal music.

1980s had transformERs so it’s the best

Disagree I feel the music of the 80s was the best it's ever been.

No 1980s for my face. @Friezacel

Disagree I feel the music of the 80s was the best it's ever been.
Some of it was great, some music was garbage like that type of hair metal thing with many generic bands.

i kinda see what you mean, it was obviously too early for games and i always found a lot of 80s music stuff to be really depressing, all the synth pop stuff, i just don't really perceive it as upbeat and positive at all, more like normies struggling to deal with Jewish sexual dynamics, and feeling a lot of pain in the process, all in a strange cold atmosphere of synthesized sounds.
for movies though it kinda doesn't compare, for some reason all the best horror/action movies are in like 1980-1991 or so, and after that it gets really quite shitty, for instance look at how no one could make a good Alien/Predator/Terminator film after 1990-1991, or come up with a new action horror IP that is better than those old properties, all you got is subpar poop.