Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Early '90s gaming was best

Hoppipolla

Hoppipolla

hop on jj2
★★★★★
You just put in the cartridge - say, Dynamite Headdy - turn the console on, play the game, and then stop playing the game. That's it!

What could be better than that ^_^

Late 90's and early 2000's was the peak for gaming.
Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Half Lifes 1 & 2, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Morrowind, etc.

cope nostalgia is blind u

Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Half Lifes 1 & 2, Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines, Morrowind, etc.

It's true that almost all the games I say are my favourites are from that time :)

It was a good time too for sure!

My top 5 games I usually state as Phantasy Star Universe, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio and Red Alert 2.

You just put in the cartridge - say, Dynamite Headdy - turn the console on, play the game, and then stop playing the game. That's it!

i prefer middle 90s/early 2000s games
n64 and psx are my favorite consoles

the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask.gif
tumblr_ncksol74Xj1sibomdo1_640.gif
tumblr_n44498EGZ31s3uawvo1_500.gif

I can play all those games now on my PC in a second and they're all free

Now is better

3 lives then game over, no saving your progress, no big titty bikini armor mods....

its all relative. you woulnt know something is bad or good if it never exist. you wouldnt miss it or crave it.

I think gaming back then was often so... punchy!

Like... the music immediately grabbed your attention, the games were colourful and immediately action-packed (no long cutscenes, etc)... it was much closer to being in the arcade even if you were at home.

And games knew what they were, too. These days so many of them are trying to be movies or are so unbelievably huge that the gameplay is lost in there somewhere.

And games knew what they were, too. These days so many of them are trying to be movies or are so unbelievably huge that the gameplay is lost in there somewhere.
True, many modern games are barely even games anymore.

there's few things that are better nowadays..

True, many modern games are barely even games anymore.

Yeah it's weird. I remember in 2017 I thought I was bored of gaming. But then I realised that it was gaming that had changed, not me!

As soon as I found indie games I was immediately back into it again.

I'm not necessarily saying that modern mainstream games are objectively bad. But they've definitely become something very different to the way they were when I first discovered them as a kid.

Oh, one thing erm... I do think some consoles like Nintendo Switch are fairly similar to the '90s.

Maybe if I was a kid now I would be playing that ^^

But erm... I guess as an adult I find it hard to justify spending the money on the console and the fairly pricey games when there are so many indie and retro games out there on PC that are very similar in terms of gameplay and often don't require fancy hardware to run.

you are coping hard the graphics were trash then

Elden Ring though

You know what else was great about '90s consoles? The CHOICE!

Each generation had at least 10 machines to choose from.

These days you're lucky if you get 4 instead of 3.

It's true that almost all the games I say are my favourites are from that time :)

It was a good time too for sure!

My top 5 games I usually state as Phantasy Star Universe, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure 2, Jet Set Radio and Red Alert 2.
Yeah, there are a couple of exceptions to the late 90's/early 2000's rule: games such as the Mass Effect Trilogy, Bioshock Trilogy, New Vegas, etc. which extend into the late 2000's/early 2010's.

But if we're looking at peak creativity and ingenuity, it's definitely that time frame. I am just permanently stuck in that era, aside from playing some modern autism sims.

Agreed. They really don't make good games anymore.

2012-2013 is when shit really started to hit the fan tbh.

It was for me. Growing up, all I wanted every Birthday and Christmas was either a new game or the newest console. My best friend used to sleep over every Friday night and my Dad would take us to the local Blockbuster, where I'd spend my pocket money renting games for the weekend. There's no joy like gaming as a kid with your friend. We spent one Summer holiday locked in my bedroom playing Toca 2, switching to Pro Evo for a bit for variety, breaking to go to the shop to buy sweets and chocolate. Happiest days of my life.

It was for me. Growing up, all I wanted every Birthday and Christmas was either a new game or the newest console. My best friend used to sleep over every Friday night and my Dad would take us to the local Blockbuster, where I'd spend my pocket money renting games for the weekend. There's no joy like gaming as a kid with your friend. We spent one Summer holiday locked in my bedroom playing Toca 2, switching to Pro Evo for a bit for variety, breaking to go to the shop to buy sweets and chocolate. Happiest days of my life.

Do you find it difficult to find someone you click with that well now?

I had a number of especially close friends when I was younger but most became cold to me once we became adults. And I find it very hard to find people like that now.

That's a really nice story though and yeah being a kid was very fun as was '90s gaming ^^

Do you find it difficult to find someone you click with that well now?
I haven't had or made an IRL friend since I was a kid.
I had a number of especially close friends when I was younger but most became cold to me once we became adults.
Why's that?

I had two close friends when I was a kid, they both gradually deserted me around age 14-16. But I had some severe social problems so I don't blame them.
And I find it very hard to find people like that now.
I'm a maladjust with a voice disorder which makes any human interaction impossible kek, but making serious friendship as an adult is very difficult it seems. Most healthy people make their friends around 16-21, during college/university or their first part time jobs. Some maintain their friends from childhood but I don't think it's that common. Rather like sex and romance, if you fuck up the key developmental life stages, it's very hard to correct it.
That's a really nice story though and yeah being a kid was very fun as was '90s gaming ^^
90s was a good time in general. It was a real sweet spot for civilisation.

I haven't had or made an IRL friend since I was a kid.

Why's that?

I had two close friends when I was a kid, they both gradually deserted me around age 14-16. But I had some severe social problems so I don't blame them.

I'm a maladjust with a voice disorder which makes any human interaction impossible kek, but making serious friendship as an adult is very difficult it seems. Most healthy people make their friends around 16-21, during college/university or their first part time jobs. Some maintain their friends from childhood but I don't think it's that common. Rather like sex and romance, if you fuck up the key developmental life stages, it's very hard to correct it.

90s was a good time in general. It was a real sweet spot for civilisation.

Yeah it was a hopeful and nice time. I seem to remember that in The Matrix the reason why the machines made the simulation like the late 20th century was because that was seen as the pinnacle of human civilisation... when things were at their best.

... I couldn't really imagine a movie making that statement about the way society is at the moment.

And for sure people seem to change to a surprising degree with age. People who you think will stick by you forever... they just go. And it's like they don't even care... like they don't miss you at all or care about the past. It's very bizarre.

I think I'm unusually sentimental tbh, at least for a guy.

Some of them thought they had good reasons to push me away but... I feel like they were more like excuses. Others either had a very bad reason or no clear reason at all.

I do think that all of the major console manufacturers now are really, really boring. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo.

Even Valve are a bit boring.

I mean... I don't see any companies out there that are as interesting as '90s Sega or '70s/'80s Atari.

Or any consoles that are as interesting as we had around the '90s:

Wonderswan

You can add both Quake games, Final Doom, Doom 64, Unreal Gold, 007 Agent under Fire, and Duke Nukem 3D to that compilation of FPS that kicked ass.

1992-2007 was peak

Early 2010

The reality that we got bo1 mw3 and bo2 in a 3 yr row

cope nostalgia is blind u
Ok but why can I purchase a NEW old game, as in an old game I haven't played, and like it?

Even for less popular ones. I really like the Code: Dragon series.

You can add both Quake games, Final Doom, Doom 64, Unreal Gold, 007 Agent under Fire, and Duke Nukem 3D to that compilation of FPS that kicked ass.

My favourite FPS games I usually say are Quake 2, Fear 2 and Perfect Dark.

That being said Quake III Arena was amazing come on ^^

The reality that we got bo1 mw3 and bo2 in a 3 yr row

A good reason to avoid that time, lol

Ok but why can I purchase a NEW old game, as in an old game I haven't played, and like it?

Even for less popular ones. I really like the Code: Dragon series.

Yeah so true :)

"Pixel art" games are still very popular after all.

00s gaming was the best. The most influential 3D games were created during this time

Mid-Late 2000s was the best