Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion How can sociopaths be manipulators, when the key component of manipulation is empathy?

G

Guest2

Sociopaths are incapable of empathy, right?

Empathy=the ability to be "in someone else's shoes" or think what they're thinking.

For manipulation, you need to be able to 'become' the other person to predict how they will react to a certain stimuli.

High functioning sociopaths and psychopaths are notorious for being manipulative, so how does that work?

The only thing of which I can think off of the top of my head would be that they don't lack empathy, but lack the capacity to care. Maybe the studies just use the wrong word, because they certainly understand that, for example, killing someone's dog is going to make them sad. I think it's closer to a lack of tethering to social norms, a limited ability to care about what happens and little sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They fake empathy.
They can also, conjure various personas, and use each one of them at a proper time.

Ive read of a lot of famous serial killers and psychos crying, or saying they love certain people

I see at as one big act -- like how certain insects disguise themselves as a different creature.

I think they mimic a certain behavior in order to obtain a determinate reaction and "fit in".
so they're basically acting when they show empathy.

They fake empathy.
I mean, how can they fake it? It's like a wheelchair disabled guy saying "watch this; I'm gonna pretend to walk".

To be a 'manipulator' you need to simulate the inside of someone else's head

So maybe they can know empathy
But Theyre not slaves to it

Now I'm thinking that it's not so much that they're experts, but that they gain greater pleasure in manipulating others, and feel less remorse doing so

I mean, how can they fake it? It's like a wheelchair disabled guy saying "watch this; I'm gonna pretend to walk".

To be a 'manipulator' you need to simulate the inside of someone else's head
Faking it, or mimic it.
Isn´t it basically the same thing ?
You´re correct, you have to simulate whats going on inside the other person´s head.

Faking it, or mimic it.
Isn´t it basically the same thing ?
Well sure, they could fake being able to read someone's mind, but its physically out of their ability to do so. They can't understand how others feel at all, apparently, so how can they manipulate that which they can't comprehend?

There are different subtypes. They lack emotional empathy not cognitive empathy.

For autists it's upside down. That's why we are ironically perceived as the crazy psychopaths by society.
Because most people are legit retards. Honestly sociopaths aren't hard to spot, but most people are dumb and take everything at face value and don't pick up on the nuances. Bonus points if the sociopath in question is attractive so the entire soviet victory parades worth of red flags just goes over everyones head (particularly womens).
Cope. If he's easy to spot he isn't one. Prolly just a typical dark triad coper.

Last edited:
They'll just say they feel bad and force all the facial expressions. They learn it all by observing other people.
Nonono I'm not on about faking it like that.

I mean, for example, understanding characters' intentions in a book or whatever, or in a situation wherein there are people with different agendas or when emotions are running high. If they lack that kind of awareness, how can they operate?

Anyone can fake sympathy or whatever, but empathy is being able to understand others' emotions.

I suppose they are limited in individual thought because they'd have to remember times at which someone behaved a certain way and it was because of a certain stimulus, instead of being able to infer it by themselves.

I think you can learn that shit. they observe whats apprpriate according to what norms rn exist and how people behave and copy it accordingly.
you can learn how to behave to make people more afraid of you or to look more approachable etc. they are reasons why people feel towards other people a certain way its not magic. if they are able to utilize these reasons than they will be able to fool and exploit the normies

i don’t believe sociopaths exist honestly. some people are just more fucked up than others.

Well sure, they could fake being able to read someone's mind, but its physically out of their ability to do so. They can't understand how others feel at all, apparently, so how can they manipulate that which they can't comprehend?
They larp as if they understood the other person, in order to get on their "good side".
Keep in mind that, sociopaths are very self conscious individuals, and they´re also very few in our midst.

There are different subtypes. They lack emotional empathy not cognitive empathy.
Ohh, right, that makes sense

• Emotional empathy, also called affective empathy or primitive empathy, is the subjective state resulting from emotional contagion. It is our automatic drive to respond appropriately to another’s emotions. This kind of empathy happens automatically, and often unconsciously. It has also been referred to as the vicarious sharing of emotions.
  • Cognitive empathy is the largely conscious drive to recognize accurately and understand another’s emotional state. Sometimes we call this kind of empathy “perspective taking.”
Very interesting thanks

i don’t believe sociopaths exist honestly. some people are just more fucked up than others.
They definitely do. They are just good at what they do which is fooling other people.

They will always verbally claim exactly what they are not feeling at all. "That makes me sad" "I'm not the kind of person to do that". I noticed that they tend to do that. I used to work with a bitch who I think was one. Her emotions were always so forced looking and of course she had a boyfriend and was trying to cheat on him with some other guy at work.

• Emotional empathy, also called affective empathy or primitive empathy, is the subjective state resulting from emotional contagion. It is our automatic drive to respond appropriately to another’s emotions. This kind of empathy happens automatically, and often unconsciously. It has also been referred to as the vicarious sharing of emotions.
  • Cognitive empathy is the largely conscious drive to recognize accurately and understand another’s emotional state. Sometimes we call this kind of empathy “perspective taking.”
Very interesting thanks
i hate being emotionally empathetic tbh. it's what foids use for manipulation, it's so hard to defend against,
even if you know it's an act, but being blackpilled definitely helps.
all foids in my family like being overly dramatic and emotional, simply because it works, it nets positive feedback, it's trained behavior.
if all men were sociopaths, there would be no bluepill.

I've heard that sociopaths aren't incapable of empathy, but rather, they have the ability to "turn it off" and ignore it.

They are incapable or have very limited capacity for feeling empathy but that doesn't mean they don't understand it

I've heard that sociopaths aren't incapable of empathy, but rather, they have the ability to "turn it off" and ignore it.
that's very interesting tbh

they pretend to be emphatic i guess

I'm so glad you're back
really? i thought u dont like me. i guess will be banned soon coz i stopped be silent and told some stuff about one stalker in ban discussion megathread.