Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Gaming Layers of Fear (2016) main theme

Celius

Celius

-
It’s really good.

Great fucking game btw. It put heavy emphasis on environmental storytelling and allowing its narrative to be subjective as opposed to driving the plot in one direction to the end. It was one of those things where you had to feel more than try to understand, especially when it came to the main protagonist’s motive.

Granted, it was a little spooky. Very few psychological horror games are actually ‘psychological’ in the sense of being horror but this one really got to me.

10/10 shit. It was also very depressing which I always appreciate in videogames.

@Govid_Dorious you should play this.

This game is boring as fuck. It's basically a walking simulator. There's hardly any game"play" and it would have been better off as a movie.

Interesting. Why?
Well, the more I age, the less I wanna “play” a game. I want a more solid and unique experience with less action, button mashing, chaotic shit etc. and more drama, quiet moments, realistic approach to a gameplay. I also just straight up hate cutscenes now. Very few games were able to pull them off correctly.

Last edited:
Well, the more I age, the less I wanna “play” a game. I want a more solid and unique experience with less action, button mashing, chaotic shit etc. and more drama, quiet moments, realistic approach to a gameplay. I also just straight up hate cutscenes now. Very games were able to pull them off correctly.
Well, I'm the opposite. The more I age, the more I want to stay mentally sharp and stimulated (it's not an ADHD thing, it's more of a preventative step away from cognitive decline).

the more I want to stay mentally sharp and stimulated
I totally get that. What I value more however is the overall experience. Most of the games that are stimulating are that way because of strengthening the gameplay elements, resulting in sacrifices done to the overall atmosphere, story, etc. can you ever imagine something like DMC giving out a really good story or The Last Guardian being the way it is if it wasn’t more or less a walking simulator with puzzles?

Well, the more I age, the less I wanna “play” a game. I want a more solid and unique experience with less action, button mashing, chaotic shit etc. and more drama, quiet moments, realistic approach to a gameplay. I also just straight up hate cutscenes now. Very few games were able to pull them off correctly.
@based_meme btw another reason for this is cause I guess I’m getting more and more depressed jfl. Playing an actual game with heavy gameplay aspects sounds mentally draining to me, just thinking about it makes me exhausted. Just give me a walking simulator with quiet moments, puzzles, nice music, decent atmosphere and I’m game.

Give me a twitch shooter that needs me to do quick maths and make good decisions at a snap. Rainbow Six: Siege does this very well and is why I still play that game, though a lot less these days, because good teammates are hard to come by. CSGO is another game like that.

They both train your brain holistically as far as the benefits of gaming on the brain are concerned. You need speed and reflexes, and are solving difficult puzzles in real-time.

Give me a twitch shooter that needs me to do quick maths and make good decisions at a snap. Rainbow Six: Siege does this very well and is why I still play that game, though a lot less these days, because good teammates are hard to come by. CSGO is another game like that.

They both train your brain holistically as far as the benefits of gaming on the brain are concerned. You need speed and reflexes, and are solving difficult puzzles in real-time.
I mean, I like the type of games you’ve mentioned as well, but what I’m really burned out on are games that try to do both. Sony exclusives are a good example of this. They try to be both engaging and atmospheric at the same time, resulting in neither of the aspects reaching their full potential.

Judging by what you like, you should definitely try getting into roguelikes btw.

Judging by what you like, you should definitely try getting into roguelikes btw.
I play a variety of game genres from shooters, RPGs, ARPGs, 1st and 3rd person story action, to fighting, and to a lesser extent RTS classics like CnC, SC, and some AoE.

I don't play roguelikes, because they're too childish and makes you feel far too disconnected from the game. It doesn't feel as immersive and, hence, less engaging from a personal interactive point of view.

I don't play roguelikes, because they're too childish and makes you feel far too disconnected from the game. It doesn't feel as immersive and, hence, less engaging from a personal interactive point of view.
Well the concept of roguelike is broader than just being childish or cartoony. Chess is more or less a roguelike. Sports games are roguelike.

Well the concept of roguelike is broader than just being childish or cartoony. Chess is more or less a roguelike. Sports games are roguelike.
Chess is a good way to characterize roguelikes, I suppose. I play that too. It's certainly the cartoonish aesthetic that turns me off from the genre.