Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Military incident: the asshole first sergeant

NotTheElliot

NotTheElliot

Pontifex
This was close to the end with the first unit I served with, during college. This was nearly 20 years ago now, but still PISSES me off for reasons that should become apparent.

We were attending AT (annual training) in Camp Atterbury, Indiana, and we were nearing the close of it. Our unit did very well overall, especially being smaller than others there. At this point, I'd have to consider it a high-point of pride in my army membership. Despite my original MOS, our training was mainly convoy operations, since this seemed to be our most likely function if we deployed. I never went to Iraq myself; I want to specify since I don't want to commit stolen valor. But I digress.

Near the end, a couple other E-4s asked if I wanted to go to the all-ranks club (basically a bar and restaurant on-post). These guys had more seniority and also had good conduct records. We were initially told we couldn't go at the beginning of AT, but we wanted to see if permission could be granted. The three of us asked our Platoon Sgt, a SFC, if we could go. He said we could. I DO NOT want to throw him under the bus, since he did nothing wrong. He had faith in us, and IMO he had full authority to make that judgment call unless the 1SG specifically told him not to.

We went and behaved ourselves. We were in our civvies, including my lucky/ favorite shirt at the time (more on that later). I played a couple games of pool; not many beers though since I did have to get back. Eventually our supply guy, an E-5, came to pick us up. It was getting later, so I didn't think much of it. Ater we got back, that's when the first sergeant came into the picture. He summoned us to his tent behind the barracks building. He was PISSED, outright accusing us (mostly me, really) of slinking off and doing god-knows-what. You'd think he was accusing us of stealing classified info and sneaking to the Chinese embassy. That's not an exaggeration.

I tried explaining how we did everything above board. He replied "So Sergeant (redacted) said, 'Let's all get in our civvies and go to the all-ranks club'", with an exaggerated arm wave. I said , "Yes. We asked him."

He dismissed me, and I said while leaving, "Sorry, I didn't know." He just had to have the last word, however. When I was leaving the tent, he said, "By the way, NotTheElliot, just so you know, that the UGLIEST FUCKING SHIRT I've ever seen." I was out of eyesight of him, but I just swung my hand dismissively and forcefully. I was done.

Apparently after I left, according to the other 2 E-4s, the first sergeant was more talkative, even laughing a bit and drinking his beer. Maybe after I bore the brunt, he concluded all on his own that it was a big, harmless misunderstanding. That still didn't stop him from ripping my platoon Sgt a new asshole though. I liked my platoon Sgt, so double-fuck the first sergeant.

Needless to say, I was angry as hell over the next few days, and it seemed the consensus agreed with me (for once). Looking back I think I would have been justified to formally complain to a CSM, or the Commander. It was pretty clear to anyone with a brain that no one was at fault. I got a medal at the end, the Soldier's Medal (green and blue ribbon; it is a pretty common decoration that can be awarded for mostly anything). At the time, in my youth, I was excited to get it and thought my AT ended on a high note.

However, as that medal gathered dust at my parent's house, and I've had more time to think about it, I think an apology would have mattered far more. This "first sergeant", who had also been prior service Marines, didn't have the integrity to realize he was wrong. I wasn't the best soldier, but nothing could have justified this incident.

About a year ago, I finally brought the medal back from my parents' place, and tossed it in a dumpster. It was more a souvenir of a bad memory than an accolade.

Wherever you are now 1SG, go fuck yourself. Keep fucking yourself until the end of time. You not only insulted me, you insulted other soliders I respected. I sure as hell don't respect you.