Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Should I switch to Linux?

Betrayed

Betrayed

God is dead
-
I'm using Windows 10 currently.
I have a very bad PC and I heard that Linux is better on low end PCs
But some programs can't run on it.
I had windows preinstalled and since it is not free, I can't go back once Linux is installed.
-Can Linux run TOR?
is it better on low end PCs?
-Can I run paint.net and some strategy games?
-Do I get more overall FPS?
-Can I run vpn on it?
-Is there a way to download Linux without deleting windows?
-Which Linux should I get?

I tried recently and it didn't give me WiFi drivers, and I couldn't install them from the repository without WiFi so I gave up and went back to Windows.

most paradox games support linux

:yes:I have a very bad PC and I heard that Linux is better on low end PCs
:yes:But some programs can't run on it.
I had windows preinstalled and since it is not free, I can't go back once Linux is installed. -> Linux will install GRUB so you can access Windows after installing most linux distros
:yes:-Can Linux run TOR?
:yes:is it better on low end PCs?
:no:-Can I run paint.net and some strategy games (DEPENDS)?
:yes:-Do I get more overall FPS?
:yes:-Can I run vpn on it?
:yes:-Is there a way to download Linux without deleting windows?
-Which Linux should I get? -> Ubuntu or Mint

You'll see reduced functionality and compatibility with Linux regarding many programs/video games m; I think I'll stick with my low-end PC with Windows for now... :feelsjuice:

Though there are of course plenty of benefits associated with Linux, what with it being decidedly less affiliated with a globohomo-supporting megacorporation. :feelsclown:

So basically I can start my computer and select between the two versions?

Java script works?
Paint net works?
@AbsolutelyBrutal

I had windows preinstalled and since it is not free, I can't go back once Linux is installed.
-Can Linux run TOR?
-Can I run vpn on it?
Wrong subforum but absolutely I'd say. Ubuntu or Linux Mint would be good starter options, although I'd recommend Mint moreso.

• There is a compatability layer called WINE ('Wine Is Not an Emulator') that can run most Windows software natively and without too much issue.
  • Yes, Linux can run TOR and is actually better to run it on Linux as it's more secure I believe. VPNs as well.
  • Paint.net should work and WINE/Proton on Steam should make Windows titles run pretty fine. I've done it with the majority of my games on Linux without much issue.
  • There is a way to do this, you'd need to dual boot: https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-1404-dual-boot-mode-windows-8-81-uefi/

You'll see reduced functionality and compatibility with Linux regarding many programs/video games m; I think I'll stick with my low-end PC with Windows for now... :feelsjuice:

Though there are of course plenty of benefits associated with Linux, what with it being decidedly less affiliated with a globohomo-supporting megacorporation. :feelsclown:
This too yeah

-Can Linux run TOR?
Yes, Tor is free and open source software.
Yes, if you use a lightweight desktop enviroment or a standalone window manager. Check the resource uses of different DEs and WMs here.

If you're light on resources, I would recommend LXQt or a standalone WM like Openbox, Fluxbox and IceWM. There are also tiling WMs like i3 and notion, but those take practice to use without a mouse.

XFCE, Cinnamon and KDE are heavier but I would recommend them if you have 4 gigs of RAM or more.
There's Pinta which is a clone of Paint.NET using the Mono framework.

There are also a variety of games that run on Linux.
If you want graphics to work well make sure you install the correct drivers for your graphics card or integrated chipset. You might have to look it up with the inxi -G command and then install the correct drivers, usually through your package manager.

If you use Nvidia, it's going to be a little bit of a pain in the ass because their official drivers are proprietary and the open-source noveau driver is shit. Many distros do have Nvidia driver binaries in their non-free repositories but you have to enable that yourself. Look up the documentation on how to install Nvidia drivers for the distro you're choosing.

-Can I run vpn on it?
Yes.
You can install Linux alongside Windows either on a separate partition of the same storage drive (you can use gparted to allocate free space from your Windows partition to your Linux installation), or get a second drive to install Linux on. Alternatively, you can use Linux on a live CD or live USB or run it in VirtualBox.
For noobs, I recommend MX Linux (stable release, based on Debian) or Artix Linux (rolling release, based on Arch) since they don't use systemd like most other distros do and both have a live preview where you can install it and manage partitions.

Keep in mind that what distro you choose doesn't affect the aesthetics of your desktop, since you can always change your DE or WM in your installation. Pretty much almost all Linux distros offer the same collection of software, the main difference being their package manager (apt, pacman, dnf, etc.) and their release cycles, as well as their installation method and default programs. Some might differ between what init they use (systemd vs alternative inits like s6, runit and OpenRC) and a few between standard C libraries (GNU libc vs musl c) or userland (GNU coreutils vs busybox).

I know MX Linux comes with XFCE by default but they also have KDE and Fluxbox editions. And Artix Linux ISOs have different DEs to choose from.

Last edited:
PureOS is decent.

I tried recently and it didn't give me WiFi drivers, and I couldn't install them from the repository without WiFi so I gave up and went back to Windows.
Use ethernet connection and install Wi-Fi drivers that way. Or download an offline package with its dependencies on an Internet-connected computer.

So basically I can start my computer and select between the two versions?
Yeah, if you install a bootloader in your MBR (usually GRUB2), then it should allow you to choose between Windows and Linux.
Java script works?
JavaScript will obviously work, since that's dependent on the browser you use and not the OS. But pretty much any browser on Windows also work on Linux.
Paint net works?
@AbsolutelyBrutal
As I said, there's Pinta which works natively on Linux but you need to install the Mono framework (which is an open-source library compatible with .NET) beforehand (if the package manager has dependency resolution, then it will install Mono automatically when you install Pinta).

If you really need to use Paint.NET, you can install WINE and then the proprietary .NET framework on top of that but I don't recommend that over installing Pinta.

Last edited:
yes you should, fucking retard why are you using windows

proprietary malware
it's better on all pcs
there are no programs worth running that aren't supported on GNU
yes you can but why would you
-Can Linux run TOR?
*Tor
yes
it's better on all pcs
muh gaymes
yes
-Can I run vpn on it?
yes
yes but you should delete windows
any fsf approved distro

You'll see reduced functionality and compatibility with Linux regarding many ...video games m;
This is literally the only reason I haven't switched to Linux, yet. Just playing the waiting game. :feelsjuice::smonk::smonk::smonk::smonk::smonk:

Na, you are going to hate linux. It does nothing good but be a server OS.