Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Serious Why we should stop consuming media

Caesercel

Caesercel

Take a look to the sky just before you die.
★★★★★
This thread is mostly inspired by a one on one I had with a user last year, who probably doesn't post anymore. He had claimed that he hasn't watched a single piece of media or mainstream news for the past 10 years, not even music. A bold unsubstantiated claim, but it was his reasoning that intrigued me.

He said that media fills our minds with false emotions that are not reflective of reality. Sounds obvious at first considering that escaping reality is the goal here. But on further reflection its kind of mind boggling how many of our emotions and ideas are derived from the media we consume. Media doesn't just provide us with novel fake experiences but also frames the perspective on our in real life experiences.

The information age has certainly blasted this phenomena to the stratosphere. Who knows what kind of utter bullshit is filling in our heads.

Anyway no one's really gonna quit anime or video games. But this is still an interesting question to ponder on. What would our psyche be like if it was guided exclusively by real world experiences combined with little nuggets of knowledge. How the false emotions from media may prevent us from seeking those experiences irl

Last edited:
I only read news headlines and skip the rest

Absolutly agree.
I haven't been watching TV in 10 years.
I read mainstream media news only for laughs, because their brainwashing and lying is so obvious.

Mainstream media is actually a weapon.
In my oppinion, mainstream media is even a more devastating weapon than atomic bombs.
Because you can brainwash a whole population with it and you can eradicate unpopular oppinions and establish a lowkey dictatorship.
You have a dictatorship that is very subtle, because you don't have a dictator who says "You do this and that, because I say so", you have a big network of media that brainwashes the population into having a coherent mindset that on its own eradicates any contrary voices and establishes a dictatorship of mainstream beliefs.

I wish english would be my native language so I could describe this better, but mainstream media is really the weapon of the devil.

Ups, I think I missunderstood the thread, you're talking about consumer media, not news media ... whoopsie
Sorry

Ups, I think I missunderstood the thread, you're talking about consumer media, not news media ... whoopsie
Sorry
Same thing at this point really

I unsubbed from all of my youtube subscriptions and installed distraction free youtube
U

I unsubbed from all of my youtube subscriptions and installed distraction free youtube
View attachment 593839
That's pretty neet. Youtube has been a constant distraction for years now. Only reason I haven't deleted that app is the false conviction that it someday might be useful.

Yep, I agree that pop culture mainstream media is hamrful and dangerous. But like junk food, I still use it to cope.