Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion ADHD:: a Helpful Diagnosis or a Harmful Label?

blond_elf_bard

blond_elf_bard

Major
★★
One issue increasingly mentioned by other people my age is diagnoses and medications for ADHD, known as "Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder". I think the ADHD diagnosis is relevant to inceldom because many young men are given this diagnosis, especially those who may be socially disaffected such as those who may visit this site.

Some facts about me and ADHD:
  • I was diagnosed at age 12, just six months after my parents had gotten a divorce and I had started middle school, after I got a "C" on my report card. Because of that, I was forced to take Strattera for 9 months, which made my grades much worse. My grades improved to nearly all A's after I was taken off the medication the following year.
  • The greatest grades I ever had happened when I was busy 7 days a week with extracurriculars, unmedicated.
  • My grades followed a rough gradual decline through senior year and college, despite consistent usage of medications on exam day.
Some of the implications of ADHD:

It seems that the issue is pretty dire, right? It's logical to assume that one should understand a problem in order to address it.

So, then, what is ADHD, and how is it treated?
  • You qualify for a diagnosis if you display symptoms of inattention and/or hyperactivity or impulsivity for more than 6 months (DSM Criteria Here).
  • Research suggests the disorder stems from decreased size and activity of the prefrontal cortex area in the brain
  • As well as decreased levels of the neurotransmitter dopamine (Amen, 1997).
  • As a result of the deficiency of the latter, research suggests the most effective treatment for ADHD is stimulant medication.
  • Research from the US CDC illustrates a clear disparity in treatments for ADHD between rich, well educated states such as Washington and Hawaii compared with states with lower average educational levels such as Tennessee, Kentucky, and South Carolina.
  • The CDC did not note significant differences in the long-term outcomes of children exposed to these treatments.

Some possible counterpoints to the biological hypothesis of ADHD:
Some psychosocial explanations as to causes of ADHD could also suggested:
I'm not trying to say that ADHD as the cluster of symptoms doesn't exist, nor am I trying to say that stimulant medication never helps anyone; drugs can be good. The crux of my question is whether the problems with attention and impulsivity described within the current diagnostic criteria can be related so heavily to a neurochemical and neurochemical etiology, or whether the condition could be explained to a larger extent by social-environmental factors; i.e., nature vs nurture.

I think this is a question worth answering, because at this point there are more than 10 million people in North America on ADHD medication, and so I take interest in the issue for the sake of preserving the collective well-being.

What are your thoughts and experiences regarding this issue?

My ADHD keeps me from getting anything done. Like maybe I'll be writing Christmas cards, and then I'll think "How long do people keep these around? Gotta be a hassle holding onto every Christmas card ever. When is it socially acceptable to throw these away? It would be nice if there was a Christmas card that biodegraded after a year. Does such a thing exist? Let me stop writing these Christmas cards and go look it up."

An hour later, I'm trapped in a content hole I can't explain my arriving at.

I know for a fact that if my ADHD was diagnosed at a younger age, I would have a higher IQ and probably wouldn't have left school. I'm so inattentive and retarded that I cannot focus ever. Got to play the most fast paced shit, constant shitty games otherwise I lose interest. I have never finished reading a book either.

ADHD is a hoax to sell pills to millions of kids. Its all bs

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade, and it fucks me up daily.

I've also been diagnosed with that at 12. My thoughts are, I don't feel special since most people seem to have a bunch of mental issues nowadays. It'll only get worse with each generation since dysfunction is increasing and more and more people are growing up without anything close to a stable, healthy, nuclear family.

Harmful Label, since it can be "cured". I mean, I had it, and now I dont have anymore (and no, I didnt use any of the bs medications doctors give)

ADHD is a jew cope. Was diagnosed it at like age 8, been off meds since i was 10. Perfectly fine 7 years later. I just dont wanan listen to uninteresting jew slop by some bitch for 8 hours a day

I know for a fact that if my ADHD was diagnosed at a younger age, I would have a higher IQ and probably wouldn't have left school. I'm so inattentive and retarded that I cannot focus ever. Got to play the most fast paced shit, constant shitty games otherwise I lose interest. I have never finished reading a book either.

My ADHD keeps me from getting anything done. Like maybe I'll be writing Christmas cards, and then I'll think "How long do people keep these around? Gotta be a hassle holding onto every Christmas card ever. When is it socially acceptable to throw these away? It would be nice if there was a Christmas card that biodegraded after a year. Does such a thing exist? Let me stop writing these Christmas cards and go look it up."

An hour later, I'm trapped in a content hole I can't explain my arriving at.
same

Users who are viewing this thread

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6
Back