Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Discussion Does Personality Matter to Women in Online Dating? An Analysis of Tinder Swipe Activity by Gender

ResidentHell

ResidentHell

Officer
★★★★
More than half of Gen Z and millennials have used a dating app before (Pew Research Center, 2023). The majority of Gen Z and millennials on dating apps use Tinder (Pew Research Center, 2023), and 80% of Tinder users are Gen Z or late millennials (Maze of Love, 2023). There is a limit on the number of right swipes you can do every 12 or 24 hours on the free version of Tinder: Men on the free version of Tinder have a limit of approx. 50 right swipes, and women on the free version of Tinder have a limit of approx. 100 right swipes. Most Tinder users are on the free version of Tinder (Roast Dating, 2023). However there is no limit on the number of left swipes you can do on the free version of Tinder

A Summary of Tinder Swipe Activity for Female Users

According to Maze of Love (2023), the average Tinder session time for men is 7.2 minutes and 8.5 minutes for women. It means women on average spend nearly 20% longer on Tinder per session than men. Also the average daily time on Tinder is 90 minutes a day per user, or 11 sessions a day. If we calculate the total Tinder usage time per day for women, it would equal 8.5 minutes x 11 sessions, which is a total of 93.5 minutes a day. On Tinder, women swipe right on 5% to 15% of discovered profiles (Maze of Love, 2023; Gitnux, 2023)

Let us extrapolate: If women on Tinder are allowed a maximum of 100 right swipes per 12 or 24 hours, and we assume the average female user uses all of her 100 right swipes within the average time they spend per day on Tinder (93.5 mins), we can estimate the number of swipes the average woman on Tinder makes in day based on her right-swipe rate. This would be equivalent of how many times the average woman on Tinder swipes in 93.5 minutes, because the average daily time on Tinder is 93.5 minutes for women

If the average woman on Tinder uses all of her 100 right swipes within 93.5 minutes, and she swipes right 5% - 15% of the time, it means she also swipes left between 700 to 1900 times per day, as she would swipe left 85% - 95% of the time. Thus the maximum number of daily swipes on Tinder by the average female user would be between 800 to 2000 swipes a day (5% to 15% = 100 right swipes; 85% to 95% = Between 700 and 1900 left swipes)

Moreover if we divide the average time spent on Tinder per day for women (93.5 minutes) by the maximum number of swipes by female users per day (800 to 2000 swipes), we can estimate the time elapsed per swipe for the average female user on Tinder

Time elapsed per swipe for the average female user on Tinder:

93.5 minutes = 5610 seconds

5610 seconds / 2000 to 800 swipes = 3 to 7 seconds per swipe (to nearest second)

Under the assumption that an average female user on Tinder uses all of her 100 right swipes within the average daily time on Tinder for women (93.5 mins), it means we can draw a conclusion the average female user examines a profile for 3 to 7 seconds before swiping either left or right. I’ll approximate this figure to 4 seconds per swipe for simplicity (5610 secs / 1400 swipes = 4 seconds per swipe)

Now I will ask you this:
Do you think it is practical for any female Tinder user to competently assess the personality of any other Tinder user within 3 to 7 seconds, based on information obtained from a profile picture and a profile bio that’s restricted to a 500-character limit?

Ideally, it is harder to judge a personality based on a mere profile picture, than it is to judge a personality based on a profile bio, because the main aspect of the profile picture would be a “portrait” of the Tinder profile that’s being assessed. Sometimes a profile picture may contain extra content that may be off-putting to females who see it (e.g., weapons, blood, NSFW objects in the background). But if the background of the profile picture is not saturated with miscellaneous objects, the only aspect of the profile picture by which any practical judgement can be drawn, is the appearance of the person in question

On the other hand, a profile bio is more likely than a profile picture to contain useful information on the "personality" of the person who's Tinder profile is under assessment, because the bio can include extra details that would be hard to communicate in a single picture, like interests, hobbies, accolades, religious stance, political stance, any other noteworthy experiences they had in the past, preferences, likes, dislikes etc.

It can be suggested within reason that more details in someone’s personality can be communicated by a 500-character bio, than in a single picture that’s restricted to a resolution of 800 x 800 pixels. According to Iris Reading, the average reading speed for adults is 200 to 250 words a minute, which is around 4 words a second, and 16 words per four seconds. Based on the average reading speed for adults, we can conclude that four seconds is too short for the average adult to read a Tinder bio that’s longer than 20 words

If the average female user on Tinder swipes to the next profile after 4 seconds, it means she would read less than 20 words before swiping to the next profile, and one can reasonably suppose that someone’s personality cannot be effectively communicated in 20 words, as the person may have extra aspects of their “personality” that require more than 20 words to communicate. Thus we can draw a conclusion the number of seconds per swipe for the average female user on Tinder (4 seconds per swipe) is too short for her to competently assess the profile of someone who appears on their Tinder feed and has a bio with +20 words

According to Psychological Science Org., a series of research studies by psychologists from Princeton University concluded that it takes 0.1 seconds to form an impression of a stranger based on their facial appearance, and longer exposures do not lead to significant alterations in those first impressions. These series of studies were focused on the following traits: attractiveness, likeability, competence, trustworthiness, and aggressiveness

If it takes 0.1 seconds for someone to determine whether or not a stranger is facially attractive, we can conclude the number of seconds per swipe for the average female user on Tinder (4 seconds per swipe) is more than enough for a Tinder user to competently assess the physical attractiveness of someone who appears on their Tinder feed

Overall, we can conclude that based on the provided stats for reading speed and first impressions in adults, if the average female user on Tinder spends around 4 seconds on a profile before swiping, the average female user on Tinder would not have enough time to competently assess a >20-word bio before swiping left or right, but she would have more than enough time to assess the physical attractiveness of someone in a profile picture before swiping left or right (based on the presumption that an average female user on the free version of Tinder uses all of her 100 right swipes in any given day)

Adding to all this, we must consider the fact that Tinder is the most popular dating app in North America and West Europe (Roast Dating, 2023); the majority of Tinder users (80%) are either Gen Z or younger millennials (age 18 – 29), and 25% - 35% of Tinder users are female (Pew Research Center, 2023).

Now I will ask you this:
Do women on dating apps care more about personality than looks, when the average female user on Tinder swipes at a rate that is too fast for her to read more than 20 words on someone’s bio, but not too fast for her to proficiently examine someone’s profile picture?

Now let’s compare with men on Tinder...

A Summary of Tinder Swipe Activity for Male Users

If the average man on Tinder spends 7.2 minutes per session, and 11 sessions a day, that’s the equivalent of 79.2 minutes a day (7.2 minutes x 11 sessions). Also, men swipe right on approx. 50% of all discovered profiles. Moreover if we assume the average man on Tinder uses all of his 50 right swipes in a given day, then we can estimate the number of daily swipes by the average male user on Tinder based on his right-swipe rate. The number of daily swipes by the average male user on Tinder would be approx. 94 swipes (53% = 50 right swipes; 47% = 44 left swipes), but we'll round it to 100 swipes a day for simplicity

From this we can also conclude that not only do women spend a longer time on Tinder than men, but women on Tinder swipe much, much more than men swipe on Tinder. In numbers, we can estimate that women on Tinder swipe at an 8x – 20x faster rate than men on Tinder, and women on Tinder swipe between 700 – 1900 times more than men on Tinder. Plus we can estimate the time elapsed per swipe for the average male user on Tinder

Time elapsed per swipe for the average male user on Tinder:

79.2 minutes = 4752 seconds

4752 seconds / 100 swipes = 48 seconds per swipe (to nearest second)

From this we can conclude the average male on Tinder spends a much longer time than the average female on a Tinder profile before swiping. In numbers, we can estimate that men spend 12x longer than women on a Tinder profile before swiping left or right

If the average man spends around 48 seconds on a Tinder profile before swiping, not only does he have more than enough time to assess the profile picture, he would also have enough time to read 150 – 200 words in the profile bio
. I’m not sure about you, but I’d argue that more significant data on someone’s personality can be obtained in 150 - 200 words than in 12 – 16 words. Based on the presupposition that both men and women on Tinder use their maximum number of right swipes on any given day, the stats infer the average male on Tinder has enough time to read up to 200 words on a profile bio based on the rate at which men swipe, but the average female on Tinder has enough time to read max. 20 words on a profile bio based on the rate at which women swipe

Now I want to ask you this:
In online dating, do women really care more than men care about personality, when the average female user on Tinder swipes at a rate that’s 8x to 20x faster than the swipe rate of the average male user on Tinder?

Does Personality Really Matter to Women in Online Dating?

If you look carefully at the stats for dating apps by gender, it’s hard to agree with the idea that personality matters to women who use dating apps. The average female user on Tinder swipes at a much faster rate than the average male user on Tinder. Plus the swipe rate for the average female user on Tinder is too fast for her to read more than 20 words of someone’s bio before her next swipe, compared to men on Tinder who swipe at a much slower rate. The average man on Tinder has enough time to read up to 200 words of someone’s bio before his next swipe. We must also consider that the maximum character count on a Tinder bio is 500 characters. You can fit around 100 words into a 500-character bio --- Yet the average female user on Tinder wouldn’t read more than 1/5th of it before she swipes onto the next profile, whereas the average male user on Tinder would have enough time to read all of it twice before he swipes onto the next profile

The share of active zoomers and millennials on dating apps has massively increased over the past 3 – 4 years. Tinder is the most popular dating app in North America, South America, Oceania and West Europe, and the vast majority of Tinder users are in these regions (Roast Dating, 2023)

A bluepiller might say “dating apps don’t reflect the current state of romantic / sexual relations between men and women in real life”. But if anyone with a brain were to look at the most recent stats for romantic / sexual relations between men and women, it would be clear to them that “dating apps” are closer to real life than any other method of seeking a relationship / casual sex in the modern world (based on the most recent stats). The majority of Gen Z and millennials in the US have used a dating app before (Pew Research Center, 2023). Moreover 80% of Tinder users are zoomers and millennials (ages 18 – 29), and Tinder is the most popular dating app for zoomers and millennials in North America (Pew Research Center, 2023). Adding to this, most heterosexual couples in the US met each other “online” (39%), followed by “in a bar or restaurant” (27%), then mutual friends (20%), then co-workers (11%) (National Academy of Sciences, 2019). Plus we must consider the untold figure of heterosexual couples and casual sex partners who met each other through “pseudo-dating apps” (aka social media platforms that have direct messenger services) like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Omegle, Discord etc.

To summarize, DATING APPS AND “PSEUDO-DATING APPS” ARE ONE OF THE MOST COMMON METHODS, IF NOT THE MOST COMMON METHOD PEOPLE USE TO SEARCH FOR RELATIONSHIPS OR CASUAL SEX PARTNERS IN THE MODERN WORLD, at least in North America and Western Europe. I don’t want to hear anyone say “dating apps aren’t real life”. In the modern world, online dating is more “real life” than any other method of finding a relationship or casual sex partner

As a closing point, in respect of the subject of “personality” I’d say men on dating apps care more than women on dating apps care about personality. Although I wouldn’t say women on dating apps care more about personality than looks

Compared to men on Tinder, I think the rate at which women on Tinder navigate through each profile they discover is too fast for them to obtain a fair amount of info on the “personality” of each profile they see on their Tinder feed (unless women on Tinder are mostly concerned about profile pictures and aren’t really concerned about profile bios). I also think patterns in dating app interactions are a significant reflection of the current state of the relationship / sex market at least for zoomers and millennials. But that’s just my opinion.

Then again, someone could counter-argue and say “Well you can’t proficiently communicate your personality to other people using only your social media bio and profile picture. You can only properly know someone after you meet them and converse with them in real life”. This is a fair point. But you have to consider the fact that “bluepillers” or “non-incels” religiously support the Personality Argument in respect of a man’s ability or inability to score a girlfriend or sex partner. If a man scores a GF or female sex partner who consents to him, the “non-inkwell” explanation is because his personality made him attractive enough for another woman to choose him as her BF or sex partner

As “online dating” is also a valid method for consenting adults to pursue a relationship or casual sex, we can also apply the “non-inkwells’ Personality Argument to online dating: If a male user on a dating app scores a GF or sex partner, his success in online dating can be attributed more to his attractive personality, and would have less to do with his genetic attributes. However the average woman on Tinder doesn’t have enough time to read a >20-word bio due to the time rate at which she swipes

This allows us to ask, if a woman on Tinder sees a profile that she wants to match with, which part of the profile is more likely to stand out to her more:

The profile picture, which would take her 0.1 seconds to competently examine?

or

The profile bio, even though she wouldn’t read more than 20 words of it before her next swipe?

Based on
the “non-inkwells’ Personality Argument”, the part of the profile that’s more likely to stand out more to a woman on Tinder, is the part to which we can attribute the “aspect of personality” that convinces a woman on Tinder to swipe right on the profile in question

(Relevant sources are linked in the thread below)

There are various anecdotal examples of female Tinder users who seemed to show more interest in a man’s profile picture than the man’s profile bio. You can refer to Tinder Experiments by DBDR, Gerbert Johnson, Wheat Waffles, Legion of Men & Playing With Fire:

You can draw your own conclusions from these Tinder Experiments

Better Bachelor also has a relevant video from October 2021 on Tinder swipe data for female users:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPuQ1Wjd2Rk

If you have any other relevant insights or research data, you can add them in the replies

Last edited:
Nobody reads profiles.

"Looks don't matter, it's personality that counts" :foidSoy:

Women lie and want to be seen as nice people. It's all a mask. Of course looks matter to them for the guys they actually want to have sex/relationships with. The guy has to reach their "minimum standard" which is usually average or higher.

Incel tier men don't count, so personality is irrelevant as the minimum looks standard isn't met in the first place.

Guys have lower standards on average and some have none and get whatever they can. They may be less attractive but still mog us and so that ugly girl gives them a chance still.

That's my take on it anyway.

Yet another high iq thread made by you. Very good post.

I've never seen anyone read a bio in my life. If a foid has a pretty face, swipe right. If they have a pretty body swipe right. if they have pretty body but ugly face swipe left. Pretty faces are all that matters

This is how online dating works and it is A BRUTAL PILL.

Dating apps intentionally set themselves up where foids inboxes and likes are flooded. This
makes them pickier and not take it seriously. The only
people who really win are good looking men. If average men could get regular hookups without
paying them £70 a month, the app would seize to exist. Average men are the target and the Chads
are the accomplices who benefit, the women are just the bait. This is basic social psychology and
economics. Chads and women rarely pay on the app it is AVERAGE MEN. Average men keep the
app alive, while at the same time the app is doing everything it can to stop them meeting people.

As incels we may have attributed their behaviour to internal drives rather than external ones. The
environment of the dating app is like a nightclub with 50+ men trying to talk to the female, with the
female ignoring you and then we sit in a corner pissed off. I did a experiment where i messaged 100
of the most unattractive women. I had 0 responses. I could attribute it to women being chad only,
which they are, but only because the dating app itself is creating the environment for it INTENTIONALLY.
If ugly women (my looks matches and below) are changed by the app, what has it done to average women?

Could I have a chance with some average women if we were not on the app?

So I would say personality doesn't matter on the dating app. It is all about whether you are in the top 20%
and/or you are paying them big bucks a month. It seems now i have to PAY to like someone, to send
a message, to send a wink. The apps are geared towards this. They don't want you to leave the app.
After a few months our personality declines
and we lose confidence which in turn no doubt affects our real world interactions.

My new theory is inceldom exists in a vacuum. The way out could be to reverse the movement. Come
off the dating apps, and then use more traditional online methods. Once the personality and confidence
comes back, then move towards offline avenues. I am testing this at the moment.

When you guys look at online dating from a different perspective; you'll find out that Bernard Kim
owns most of the popular dating apps. Matchgroup fucking own most of them. They are applying
the same formula to every one of them. Bumble works in the same way, they just flood womens
page with men like a catalogue. They're ALL corrupt and evil. They don't give a shit about people
like us meeting someone. They want us to pay for everything. I signed up to BADOO and can only
swipe right on 3 women a day.

Dating apps = pay us a lot of money and you get permission to breed.

Last edited:
Yet another high iq thread made by you. Very good post.
Thanks @Spooky_Heejin :feelzez:

Average men are the target and the Chads
are the accomplices who benefit, the women are just the bait. This is basic social psychology and
economics. Chads and women rarely pay on the app it is AVERAGE MEN. Average men keep the
app alive, while at the same time the app is doing everything it can to stop them meeting people
Agreed :yes:, except it may be the inflated standards of female dating app users, and not the app itself that prevents average men from meeting people thru dating apps

I signed up to BADOO and can only
swipe right on 3 women a day.
It does look like the dating app scheme is purposely fixed in favor of female users and against average male users. As the male to female ratio is 3:1, the maximum number of right swipes for men shouldn't be less than 1/3 of the maximum number of right swipes for women. If men on Badoo can only swipe right on 3 woman a day, it would only be fair that women on Badoo can swipe right on 9 men a day

Come off the dating apps, and then use more traditional online methods
The problem comes from the entire domain of social media, and not specifically dating apps. A social media service can be used for online dating, like Instagram, Snapchat, Omegle, Twitter, Discord. That's why I call them "pseudo-dating apps": They aren't designated dating apps, but they can easily be used for dates & hookups, like a conventional dating app. There's nothing stopping women from practicing hypergamy through "pseudo-dating apps" - In the world of Instagram or Twitter the average normie can still be ghosted by women in DMs, the average chad can still have their inbox full of women who want to "talk and meet up with them"

Last edited:
Tinder isn't designed for bios to be read. Only the top line is visible on the landing page. And it's fiddly to bring up the bio. Whereas it's smooth and easy to flick through more pictures. Tinder is designed for looks and only looks. The bio is for reading after matching and giving you something to open the conversation with (if desired, rarely for females).