Welcome to Incels.is - Involuntary Celibate Forum

Welcome! This is a forum for involuntary celibates: people who lack a significant other. Are you lonely and wish you had someone in your life? You're not alone! Join our forum and talk to people just like you.

Venting Linguist dissonance destroyed me

Celasius

Celasius

★★★★
Despite not being born in an English-speaking country, I can speak and communicate in both British and American English fluently without any of you even realizing that it’s NOT my native language (I accentmog 90% of this shithole including all the teachers and professors - in fact, I’ve yet see anyone read texts as autistically fast and accurate as I do in terms of pronunciation :hax:) to a point that I now actively think and talk to myself regularly in English all thanks to being predominantly exposed to western media (vidya, too much consooomation of YouTube (not proud of it), etc.) from a young age, and as a result, I feel distinctively conflicted regarding my identity and am usually severely depressed because of it.

It’s a little abstract, but I don’t have a stable personality hence I also FEEL different each and every day depending on the amount of time I have to put into articulating two different languages, and all social medias can’t help but solidify it either.

Not only is the culturally dissonant reality caused by it depressing and led me to always feeling lost in translation, but it’s also lonely, it’s severely lonely and alienating because of how it’s really all just in my own head, it unironically DOESN’T exist outside of it. All it takes for it all to crumble and vanish into thin air is for me to stop doing it and all of a sudden, this side of my life is nonexistent. Not even that, I can just face the other way right now as I’m typing and boom, different world, different me, you see what I’m saying? It’s just so weird and again, it’s hard to put it into words. :dafuckfeels:

I just feel out of place among “REAL” people outside. Like I don’t fit in or belong. It’s brutal man. It’s beyond brootal. It’s like I’m struggling to even convey myself now. The communication dichotomy has completely hindered my ability to express my true thoughts and intentions clearly in both of the languages I speak, and as a result, I now feel like the absolute brainless idiot that I am. Does that make any sense? I’m falling behind my peers because of it, and a lot of my colleagues for example are using too much colloquial shit I don’t even know what the fuck they stand for, so it just leaves me stranded and left behind.

It’s all just too brutal to be as autistic and retarded as me, honestly. :fuk:

@PersonalityPIMP @Nate Higgers @LeFrenchCel can you guys at least relate? :feelsbadman:

In what way? The accent? I think it’s just cause of the exposure honestly.

impostor syndrome from being a non-native speaker while trying your best
Yup. You might even feel culturally inadequate among them which is also depressing.

Nigga doesn't even tag his trilingual brocel :feelsrope:
Absolutely brutal. My bad. :feelscry:

Also a fellow trilingualcel myself. :feelsYall: What languages do you speak? Mine are Persian, English and Arabic tbh.

It's quite known that people tend to develop different personalities according to the language they speak, so it's normal I guess

Remember reading a study where they found people think more logically and are more self-distanced in their second language. You aren't quite the same person in both languages.

It's quite known that people tend to develop different personalities according to the language they speak, so it's normal I guess
That makes sense. Have you seen Arrival? In that movie, you’re not what you eat, you’re what you speak. :feelsthink:

Peak kino btw.

That makes sense. Have you seen Arrival? In that movie, you’re not what you eat, you’re what you speak. :feelsthink:

Peak kino btw.
Never saw it

Remember reading a study where they found people think more logically and are more self-distanced in their second language. You aren't quite the same person in both languages.
Interesting :worryfeels:

@PersonalityPIMP @Nate Higgers @LeFrenchCel can you guys at least relate? :feelsbadman:
Interesting post. I definitely relate. In fact, might be part of the reason why i don't really like interacting with the "internet italosphere" that much.
English, Dutch, French, a bit of German since I'm half but I'm utterly shit at it
Mine are Persian, English and Arabic tbh.
Impressive. I only know English and Italian. Learnt English by playing videogames, watching youtube videos and lurking on english internet websites kek.

I was an NPC until I learned english, english forced me to have an internal monologue while in my native language I think in pictures and more abstractly, I can read much faster in my own language but I also memorize less of it.

Interesting post. I definitely relate. In fact, might be part of the reason why i don't really like interacting with the "internet italosphere" that much.
Can relate. Never once interacted with our own Twitter and I hate the idea of doing it for some reason tbh. Probably the usual autism, but I’ve noticed they’re much more shitty and “toxic” than English Twitter (as deplorable as that may be).

Learnt English by playing videogames, watching youtube videos and lurking on english internet websites kek.
Never once bothered studying it either. It just sort of clicked on its own. I don’t know what any of that past or present perfect shit means, I just sort of go with what my intuition tells me and sometimes it’s wrong but idc. :lul:

I speak three languages
Arabic: my native language so self explanatory
French: I live in a former french colony so I was taught french since I was 8
English:my favorite language of three, they teach it at school but mostly at a basic level like you I became a fluent english speaker by myself through consuming western media like video games, music, etc...
I also accent mog 99% of people where I live even my highschool english teachers

Also it's pretty cool that you speak arabic too, how did you learn it?

:feelsokman:I meant that’s based. Was that wrong? :fuk:

Fuck me if that was wrong ایتس اور for me. :feelsbadman:
not really it was alright it's just the first time that I've seen based written with arabic alphabet
Idk what العار‌ means. :feelsbadman:
I said "You brought shame" :feelshaha:
Nvm it’s the same meaning as the one in my own language.

I’m حقیر and غبی too. :feelsrope:
I'm just joking around with you brocel don't be too hard on yourself :feelsokman:

Galobalisation is disgusting. Everyone who is not a native English speaker here delete your account and stop posting in Globish or consuming any Globish media. Use your own languages, or at least something other than Globish.

People still call Globish 'English' but it is not.